Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - November 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Snow & ice all gone, its currently raining with a little hail mixed in.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

snowing pretty heavily again in D14

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Snowing in Dublin 2.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Noticeable thaw happened in D14 starting around 2. I live in a spot that gets little sun in winter and the dripping from trees and such was quite strong. Also a few inches retraction in areas of snow. Most noticeable was my car. At 12, it was frosted up, but by 2:30 was just wet. So far Im not seeing the very low temps reckoned for later. Then again when the sun goes down.... If the temps do drop as expected, with all this "wet" snow and slush the roads and paths are gonna be treacherous in the morrow.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Noticeable thaw happened in D14 starting around 2. I live in a spot that gets little sun in winter and the dripping from trees and such was quite strong. Also a few inches retraction in areas of snow. Most noticeable was my car. At 12, it was frosted up, but by 2:30 was just wet. So far Im not seeing the very low temps reckoned for later. Then again when the sun goes down.... If the temps do drop as expected, with all this "wet" snow and slush the roads and paths are gonna be treacherous in the morrow.

Same in D8. Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

Snowing in D8 at the moment, doing its best to stick on what had become slush by mid afternoon. Initial fall was the large style flakes, but seems to be smaller paowder stuff now.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Dry and cold here

(866 (281 members & 585 guests))

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

I am living in south Kilkenny but couldnt bring myself to drive to work today in Waterford. I live in the sticks and our road is just one long strip of compacted snow and looks like glass. There are icicles from the gutter right down in front of my bedroom window. I am watching the updates on snowing areas as I am due to work for the rest of the week 1.30pm - 10pm and the roads would be lethal at that hour judging by the forecasts. I am waiting on the snow to hit here...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

I just got off the DART in Raheny about half an hour ago and it looks like there's been another cm or so of snow since this morning. It was snowing between Booterstown to Grand Canal Dock, but nothing after that. There was another huge thunderclap and then it start raining! Can't get my head around this weather at all at the moment, 'localised' isn't the word...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Nah - us weather folk regard Dec - Feb as winter. Based on the weather! In America, winter doesn't start till 21st December and finishes on 21st March.

The "traditional" Irish winter of Nov-Jan is daft; most years Feb is the coldest month in many places and November is usually way warmer than any of the three winter months. In fact the average March is colder than November.

Balderdash and bunkum.. By what authority, please? November is winter. Period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

All melted here, rain and hail all afternoon and the temp is currently +3c, stiff breeze from the sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Freezing fog here, dead calm.

It was beautiful at dusk with a layer of fog near the ground, an orange sky and everything covered in snow. Should havbe taken a few pics

-3 degrees now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Unbelievably, even for a frost hollow location, it is -8.4 here now. And its only 7.20 p.m. In november. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dry cold,clear day in Castlebar,A Dry cold,clear night too! -2 atm,Light NE'LY.1020.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Graces7 wrote: »
    Balderdash and bunkum.. By what authority, please? November is winter. Period.

Now that's rude. November is Autumn, period. Ask the Met Office. (Let's not go on like this, eh?) :cool:

Update: Sandyford

Snow showers started at 1pm and temp rose to 1C with a very slight thaw. Continued snowing on and off (light; total less than 1cm) since then. Temp dropped back below zero (or 32F as Gracie might say) about 8pm when a partial clearance occurred.

My take is this: there is almost no wind; the showers are drifting in slowly from the NE. This means the air underneath is maintaining more heat from the Irish sea. And when the skies clear, the same calm allows an instant and rapid temp drop.

This was yesterday at 10am:

IMG_3423-1.jpg

Strange Autumn weather indeed and still the whole Winter ahead of us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Massive clap of thunder just now in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Now only -1.7 here, warmed from -8 earlier, it all happened very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Cold and clear here.

1022 (357 members & 665 guests) Is this a record for the weather board?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

-2c . clear skies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

John mac wrote: »
    Cold and clear here.

Where??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

-8 according to google.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    -8 according to google.

yes. very strange that Donegal is colder than the Midlands.

by the way did you watch the El Clásico yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A few minutes of heavy hail in the last few minutes. Looks just like Styrofoam beading. Total of about 50mm of snow / hail on the ground, but drifts are 75-100mm.

I came up from Cork today. The change on the Cork / Tipperary border was interesting, from frosty changing very quickly to a good sprinkling of snow to fairly solid snow cover. It really change the view of the countryside, with dark buildings silhouetted against the white background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Back snowing in Louth... Very heavliy

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

Now that's rude. November is Autumn, period. Ask the Met Office. (Let's not go on like this, eh?) :cool:

Strange Autumn weather indeed and still the whole Winter ahead of us :D

I regard the winter months as November, December, January and February. Autumn, like Spring, is a transitional season of two months. (September & October.) Where some people got the idea that all the seasons are of equal length baffles me.

No it isn't, young person. The met office is not an authority -period. REALLY!

November is winter - period. Always has been, always will be. To all sensible people.

You want to live in a world where every speciality renames and dictates? Well, do so but do not impost ridiculous rules on the rest of us. That us cult activity and we will have no truck with it.

I regard the winter months as November, December, January and February. Autumn, like Spring, is a transitional season of two months. (September & October.) Where some people got the idea that all the seasons are of equal length baffles me.

Thank you, and it is a sign of insecurity and regimentation.. UGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭highdef

Lightning nearby, towards Enfield. Pretty loud thunder, Snow is so so so so heavy now! Temp is -0.7 with a DP of -3.1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Warmed up quite a bit, Ashbourne is +3 right now, so the precip is pretty wet. Roads are a lot better than expected. Some lightning in the last 2 hours also.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭estreet girl

Have been up all night working on an assignment and not a sausage! Then bang on 6am the wind kicked up, thunder and lightning and mega hailstones. Now I have to brace myself to drive into college! I love the snow, thought we were gonna be snowed in last night! Ah well, maybe later:) I'm in Balgriffin.

Advertisement