Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eirebhoy - Gone But Not Forgotten

• 01-11-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

It's hard to believe it's been a year since the Soccer forum, and boards as a whole, lost a much respected and valued member.

For those who may not have been around at the time, Gearoid Walsh, better known as eirebhoy, was tragically killed while enjoying a trip to Australia this time last year.

It's a couple of days late but I think it's important that we remember Gearoid on this the first anniversary of his passing.

Here is the wonderful condolence thread which at the time showed what a great community there is here - Link.

Brings a lump in the throat reading back on that.

ebFace.jpg

R.I.P. YNWA

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Wow, a year already? Feels like a few months ago to me, such a tragic story, thoughts are with his family during his anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I can honestly say not a week goes by without thinking of eirebhoy. He was the heart of the Ireland forum on foot.ie, and one of his favourite songs has become more or less the theme song for the SS, the "We love you" chant.

A gentleman and an absolute tragedy what happened to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A year already. I remember that day when the news broke. Absolutely horrible stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hard to believe it's a year ago. Sadly missed on the Celtic thread. :(

YNWA Eirebhoy.

This post from therecklessone is one that has stuck with me for ages and it really speaks volumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Sad that a nice poster, and by all accounts a nice guy, is no longer with us.

It is quite fitting that he gets remembered in the footy forum given his love for the game.

I hope his family and friends have as good a day as is possible for them today, and that their memories today of Gearoid are ones that bring smiles to their faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I think I only joined around that time. Seemed like a fantastic bloke and well respected on here. Is or was there any plans for permanent memento for Eirebhoy?

I think it would be a good idea.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I actually cannot believe a year has rolled by. Still missed.

What I truly loved about that thread was the great sense of community we have here was there for everyone to see. It makes you realise what the point of this place is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

poor lad

should make us put things into perspective and realise the values of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I didn't post in the Soccer section at the time of his death but he was a great contributor on the Ireland forum on foot.ie. I loved reading his posts on the Republic's team.

I'm sure he's happy that McGeady is doing well in Russia, he loved him :).

RIP Gearóid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

its been a year?! MG!

A true gent, great poster and new a thing or 2 about the beautiful game! ;)

RIP eirebhoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I remember him from the Celtic thread but also another Forum a Rangers one where he was very highly thought of.
    R.I.P. mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i never really interacted with him, and that's something i regretted once i read that condolences thread last year.

the evidence is there for all to see...he was hugely loved and respected on here in equal measure, and i'm sure in 'real' life too outside of boards.

my thoughts will go, above all, to the family at this time.

may they experience real peace as they remember him today, and may they be able to remember, share and enjoy, their memories of their beloved Gearóid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A year gone by already. While I was newish to Boards a year ago - there were still some standout posters and Gearoid was clearly one of them. When he typed, you tended to listen intently, he really knew his stuff. Much admired by many who never met him.

R.I.P. Gearoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It really is hard to believe a year has gone by. Those were a really rough few days last year, it really felt like losing a friend. I'll never forget listening to his mother on the radio, what an unbelievably strong woman.

The condolances thread, while terribly sad, has an uplifting side to it. So many petty arguements go on in here but it shows that when something tragic happens, the place is a genuine community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Was there ever money donated to a charity in his name or a wreath bought for him?

YNWA Eirebhoy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Y.N.W.A. Eirebhoy. You're well missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

R.I.P. Eirebhoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

YNWA Eirebhoy. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Independent has mentioned him.

RIP Eirebhoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wow, how time flies...

RIP Eirebhoy

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I can't believe its a year already.

RIP Eirebhoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Can't believe thats a year.

Hail hail Eirebhoy.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He was a credit to the board and to Irish fans in general. He is missed.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Independent has mentioned him.

RIP Eirebhoy.

Remember reading that article last year. Nice touch from the Independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

A year already? :( A hard time for his family, his RL friends and those who knew him only from his posts on boards.ie. Still shocking to think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hi guys,

As most of you will remember, I set up a contributory fund for a memorial of some kind for Gearóid, in another thread I suggested that some of that money be spent on one of these.

http://www.avivastadium-footballwalk.ie/
    The Aviva Stadium Walk is a wonderful and unique opportunity for supporters to make their mark and be part of the history and future of the Club.
    Join with other supporters, players and staff in showing their support in this way.

The Stones are carved from the finest quality Bethel White granite and engraved with care, with your personal message.The lettering is professionally engraved and hand painted with a long lasting infill.

You can order a single stone with up to two lines of lettering (15 characters per line, spaces & punctuation count as characters), or a double stone with up to four lines. The stones are available in green lettering.

For that extra special gift or personal message, you can have a special IRELAND FOOTBALL stone with the FAI logo and green lettering below.

Each stone comes with its own unique ‘Certificate of Authenticity’ that you can frame or present as a gift. You can also buy a replica of your stone to take home or place in your office (ROI or UK delivery only due to weight)

Please note that stones will be placed on a first-come, first-served basis, so get your order in quickly.

In mid-October, when I realised that the anniversary was coming up, I ordered one with the following message on it
    Gearóid Walsh
          'eirebhoy'
        Rest In Peace
          boards.ie

Here's the email confirmation;
    Congratulations on taking your place in The Aviva Stadium Walk.

This acknowledgement confirms receipt of your order.

Your order will now be processed and a confirmation letter

and certificate will be dispatched within 30 days of placing your

order, subject to validation of all information supplied by you.

Below are the details of the items(s) you ordered.

Order Details:

Payment Reference: [12874847492856]
    Date: Tue 19 Oct 2010 at 11:36:48
    Title: Aviva Stadium Walk Online Order
    Order No: 19617
    Currency: EUR (€)
    =================================
    Product: 1
    Style: Double Stone
    Line 1: Gearóid Walsh
    Line 2: 'eirebhoy'
    Line 3: Rest In Peace
    Line 4: Boards.ie
    Item Amount: €135.00
    Replica Amount: €115.00
    Item Total: €250.00
    Postage Total = €20.00
    Order total = €270.00 (including VAT)
    VAT @ 21.0% = €43.39

Thank you again for your order.

If you have any questions about the content of this email, delivery details,
    or your payment, please contact:

Commercial Department
    FAI
    National Sports Campus
    Abbotstown
    Dublin 15

Email: commercial@fai.ie

Telephone: + 353 189 99500

I haven't received postal confirmation yet, I was hoping to have that certificate to scan and post, and when it does arrive I will post it up.

Along with the stone which is being placed at the stadium, there is a second one being sent, which I plan to give to the family, but I have absolutely no idea how to organise that. It would be nice to have it with them by Xmas though.

I think it's a fitting memorial, after all, he loved the Ireland team. What better way to have a memorial than to have his name along the walls of their home ground.

Rest In Peace Gearóid, I still miss your posts in and around the time of Ireland games. Your unending defence of McGeady especially. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That'll look class Des.

Be super if someone could grab a few pics of it from the Aviva when it lands.

Nice one Des. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Great gesture Des, very thoughtful.

Can't believe it is a year already. RIP Eirebhoy

Fair play Des, great gesture & can't think of something more fitting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Fantastic gesture Des, and all who contributed.

Can't help but think he's up there reading Boards and shaking his head at the state of us all in the Celtic thread right now.

RIP mate, your truly missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Thats wicked. Makes him part of Irish footballs furniture!

RIP

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fair play Des, a wonderful gesture, I'm sure his family will really appreciate it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Touch of class there Des! Brilliant and very fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hard to believe it's a year already. Never knew him, but judging from the reaction on boards he was an extremely decent human being. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I remember reading about this last year when I was a mere lurker on this site.
    Very sad when someone so young passes away.

R.I.P!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Des wrote: »
    Rest In Peace Gearóid, I still miss your posts in and around the time of Ireland games. Your unending defence of McGeady especially. :)
    Well said Des. Nice to see McGeady scoring last weekend as well, almost a year to the day of Gearoid's passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Des wrote: »
    Hi guys,

As most of you will remember, I set up a contributory fund for a memorial of some kind for Gearóid, in another thread I suggested that some of that money be spent on one of these.

http://www.avivastadium-footballwalk.ie/

In mid-October, when I realised that the anniversary was coming up, I ordered one with the following message on it
    Gearóid Walsh
          'eirebhoy'
        Rest In Peace
          boards.ie

Here's the email confirmation;

I haven't received postal confirmation yet, I was hoping to have that certificate to scan and post, and when it does arrive I will post it up.

Along with the stone which is being placed at the stadium, there is a second one being sent, which I plan to give to the family, but I have absolutely no idea how to organise that. It would be nice to have it with them by Xmas though.

I think it's a fitting memorial, after all, he loved the Ireland team. What better way to have a memorial than to have his name along the walls of their home ground.

kudos sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Had a read of this thread in Gatwick airport this morning and found myself getting quite emotional. I can't believe it's only been a year since Gearoid passed away.

The soccer forum lost a giant that day, it is a testament to his character that he was mourned by the posters on a Rangers forum, and IMO he was a great example of what being a football fan should be about: no animosity, no needle, just a shared love of the game and the ability to talk to this who sit on the other side of the stadium without rancour.

Some people treat football as a battle, Gearoid was not one of them.

RIP eirebhoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A year already? Wow.

Very classy that the forum remembers him.

Advertisement