Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good GPU cooler for a 4870

Options
  • 01-11-2010 4:57pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any suggestion for a decent relatively cheap cooler for a 4870, I have finally got sick of the stock version (it seems to be getting louder every day) and since my warranty is pretty well up, I reckon I might as well quieten it down and get another year or so out of it before upgrading.

I can pickup a Arctic Cooling's Accelero Twin Turbo that I reckon will do the job for about £27 on amazon. Current temps aren't all that unusual for a 4870, 49C idle and 83-84 load (although I could swear that they were a good 10 degrees lower when I first bought it), my main gripe is that that the fan seems to ramp up to max RPMs far more frequently than it used to. I have removed the heatsink, dusted and replaced it with no real improvement (Case is a HAF 932 so airflow isn't an issue).

All the new cooler has to do is not sound like a jet engine when wandering around Chernobyl in STALKER:COP on max settings. :) Currently the stock one is pretty well constantly @ extremely loud high RPMs just looking off into the distance :rolleyes:

All suggestion are welcome, although the budget is about 30 euros max, I couldn't justify any more than that really, or would be as well off putting the money towards a shiny card instead.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've heard Thermalrights HR-03 is epic, noise-wise and temperature wise

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/8162-palit-radeon-hd4870-512mb-graphics-card-review-21.html

Epic is right :eek:

10 euro over my initial budget on Pixmania @ 40 euro, but extremely tempting nonetheless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Just noticed it was 40 + 15 shipping on pix so thats a no go. Don't seem to be any of my other goto retailers stocking it.

Looks like scan.co.uk have one for £23 stg, I am right in thinking that they deliver to Ireland (I probably deserve a LMGTFY reply for this one :))?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

marco_polo wrote: »
    Just noticed it was 40 + 15 shipping on pix so thats a no go. Don't seem to be any of my other goto retailers stocking it.

Looks like scan.co.uk have one for £23 stg, I am right in thinking that they deliver to Ireland (I probably deserve a LMGTFY reply for this one :))?

Scan do indeed ship to Ireland. Wouldn't be as cheap as eBuyer for delivery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

I'm fond of my zalman coolers. they do a grand job and can run nice and quiet!

http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=283

you may want to ignore this... can't seem to find them for sale anymore. maybe ebay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hr-03 is just a heatsink, it doesn't come with a fan, but You can add one

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Hr-03 is just a heatsink, it doesn't come with a fan, but You can add one

Looks like it may be a runner even without the fan without a fan for a HD 4870 according to that Hardwarecanucks review I linked to ( EDIT: actuallly you are completely correct
    re-reading now they said they stuck a little Zalman 92mm fan on it in the fine print, from the pics I though they did a passive job)

Scan is the only place I can feasibly get it, shipped for 38 euros altogether. Bit of a conundrum really as that is 38 bucks I could put towards a 68XX (Plus maybe 60 odd euro sale proceeds from the 4870), but currently I don't really need it (Not that that has ever stopped me upgrading before :rolleyes:), as I have a serious DX9/10 backlog to get through and frankly the HD4870 is well up to the task for the foreseable future. My inner nerd is certainly leaning towards the Hr-03 i have to say, any excuse to take PC components apart is all good.

It would be fine really only that the current location of my PC in the Living room is close enough to the TV to be annoying, that STALKER seems to push it to the limit almost constantly, and that the HAF is not the greatest noise insulator either (not that i expected it to be, you buy it for the airflow after all).

Whatever i decide to do I'll be sure to post pics anyway :p

To update, opted to get the Accelero Twin Turbo in the end.

Idle / load temps have gone from 49 /83 all the way down to 34 / 46, and blissful near silence all the time regardless of GPU workload.

To sum up, good result, I is well pleased. :pac:

Advertisement