Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading pc, out of the loop :(

Options
  • 01-11-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hey guys its been quite a while since i bought my pc, about two years id say. So i think its time for an upgrade. I just have some questions because its been ages since iv researched any of this.

1)My GPU is an Nvidia 8800GTX and i was going to buy another, do i need to get the EXACT same model or is it ok to go with any of the other variations of the 8800GTX?

2)My PC is air cooled and would the introduction of a new GPU require more fans or liquid cooling?

3)Iv currently 4GB DDR2 ram, would you recommend upgrading to 8GB? Mobo has four RAM slots

4)Processor is a Q6600 stock clocked, does this need an upgrade or will i simply overclock it?

5) PSU is 750w, will this suffice with the new GPU inside?

Cheers for any suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

steve_ wrote: »
    Hey guys its been quite a while since i bought my pc, about two years id say. So i think its time for an upgrade. I just have some questions because its been ages since iv researched any of this.

1)My GPU is an Nvidia 8800GTX and i was going to buy another, do i need to get the EXACT same model or is it ok to go with any of the other variations of the 8800GTX?

2)My PC is air cooled and would the introduction of a new GPU require more fans or liquid cooling?

3)Iv currently 4GB DDR2 ram, would you recommend upgrading to 8GB? Mobo has four RAM slots

4)Processor is a Q6600 stock clocked, does this need an upgrade or will i simply overclock it?

5) PSU is 750w, will this suffice with the new GPU inside?

Cheers for any suggestions.

Hey man.

I think your GPU could use an upgrade. A 150-200 euro card could more than double your performance.

Other than that, overclock your Q6600 to 3ghz and you're sorted :pac: You really don't need to upgrade everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Ok so are you suggesting not getting another 8800 and going for a new card altogether?

Also just a side note, this upgrading talk has sparked my interest again, havent checked out maxishines videos in yonks and i was just looking at his latest build, my god what id do if i had the funds :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well you could get another 8800gtx in there, but then you'll be getting microstuttering in game. Best sell your current one and invest in a shiny new 150 euro graphics card, plus you have the added advantage of a directx 11 ready card :)

hmmmm interesting. Ok so could you recommend a card for around two hundred?

A GTX460 or an AMD 6850 would be best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

6850 ftw! My house mate just got one and its an amazing piece of kit for the price. I'm buying one with my new build for definite. :)

Ok and silly question here but will i experience any issues putting an AMD card into my rig?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

an AMD/ATI versus an nVidia graphics card, not at all. It's the same form factor so as long as the motherboard accepts one, it will accept the other.

If you were talking in terms of AMD processor versus Intel, then it would be a different story.

Yip got confused there!! Cool so i think ill go with the 6850, there seems to be a few different versions. Any that are better then the others?

Also out of curiosity do you guys know of anyone who provides a cable tidy service for PC's in Dublin? Id attempt it myself but most likely will make an arse of it. Someone who will manage the interior cables so theres no clutter and great airflow

Advertisement