Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike robbed in Cork

• 01-11-2010 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I locked my bike up outside the boardwalk of the clarion on the 17th of October. I was getting a spin home so I left the bike locked up there, and I didnt go into town till last Saturday to find that the bike was gone!

It was a black bike with a trax sticker on the lower frame. Front suspension and silver bottle carrier, black vertical bars, black grips.

The brakes are dodgy, and all of the gears are messed up, the front gears dont work atall! so its not a good bike but its my pride and joy.

I used 2 lenghts of thick chain wrapped around the frame and wheel with a big padlock, so if you cut threw 1 chain there was another to back it up.

Walking home Saturday evening I seen 2 12 or 13 year olds cycling down the opposite side of the road by right price tiles. One of the lads was with me and he spotted the bike and he pointed at them. The two lads took off and they knew 1 of us owned the bike.

We ran after them hoping they tried to sell it to cash connectors but we looked and there was no sign. A gaurd was walking and I reported it to him and sent it over the radio to the cars on patrol.]

Next time I see the scumbags i will rip them off the bike

Just goes to show no matter how crap the bike is or looks, they will still go for it! Suprised theres not even a camera facing the bikes or the boardwalk!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭backtobass

GiggsCork wrote: »
    I locked my bike up outside the boardwalk of the clarion on the 17th of October. I was getting a spin home so I left the bike locked up there, and I didnt go into town till last Saturday to find that the bike was gone!

It was a black bike with a trax sticker on the lower frame. Front suspension and silver bottle carrier, black vertical bars, black grips.

The brakes are dodgy, and all of the gears are messed up, the front gears dont work atall! so its not a good bike but its my pride and joy.

I used 2 lenghts of thick chain wrapped around the frame and wheel with a big padlock, so if you cut threw 1 chain there was another to back it up.

Walking home Saturday evening I seen 2 12 or 13 year olds cycling down the opposite side of the road by right price tiles. One of the lads was with me and he spotted the bike and he pointed at them. The two lads took off and they knew 1 of us owned the bike.

We ran after them hoping they tried to sell it to cash connectors but we looked and there was no sign. A gaurd was walking and I reported it to him and sent it over the radio to the cars on patrol.]

Just goes to show no matter how crap the bike is or looks, they will still go for it! Suprised theres not even a camera facing the bikes or the boardwalk!!!

B*******S, would nt you love to catch em, just one point about it.........do you have the frame serial no of the bike, i ve had bikes stolen before on me and i found one bike i had with a guy cycling it around near where i live, called the gardai and it came down to proof, so normally the serial no sorts that out, what i do now is, i put my name and adress etc on a piece of paper, take of the seatpost and fix it inside the down tube, hope you get the bike back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

. The two lads took off and they knew 1 of us owned the bike. We ran after them hoping they tried to sell it to cash connectors but we looked and there was no sign.

Try the river I'd say.... Tbh if you leave your bike in town over night there is a real chance it will either get vandalised or nicked.
    A mate of mine used those supervalue bikes for going out in town, cycle in... taxi home, pick it up the next day. The bikes he would buy were so cheap he reckoned he was still saving money losing a bike once a month. Scum bag kids dont differentiate between good and bad bikes, they just see a bike.
    Then they hit puberty and all they see is cars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

You left it there for two weeks? If so, you really were asking for it. You can't even safely leave something outside your house overnight, not to mind two weeks. Probably better off to buy a new one tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

D-Locks are really the only serious lock. Anything else should only be used in addition to a good D-Lock (maybe so they don't rob the front wheel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 GiggsCork

D-locks are great but the cam lock types are crap. If you look on youtube you can easiely unlock one from a bic pen!

@backtobass Crying out that i didnt take down the serial number! It didnt cross my mind that the bike would be robbed or interested anyone to rob so i didnt think there was a point but if the bike was recovered I wouldnt be able to claim the bike back because I have no real evidence to ownership of the bike only a description.

I bought a moped last week and im saving for insurance. Im not sure weather to buy a bike again or not, unless i can get one cheap and invest in a good lock. I seen a bike today with a very thin lock,, had a better look by suprise and seen an alarm on it looked good but thieves more than likely to break the alarm when no one is around to hear it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement