Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communal Satellite Dish Problem

Options
  • 01-11-2010 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

So I recently moved into a new rented apartment. I’ve been trying to sort out access to a communal satellite dish which is located on the roof of the building. But I’ve been told by the management company that the only way I can get connected to this dish is to subscribe to Sky via one specific installation company, which I don’t want to do as I have a Freesat/Sat for Free (or whatever its called) tuner which I use instead. I found out (after much investigation) that there is a comms room in the basement from which the satellite signal is distributed to each apartment by simply plugging in the cable.

Surely a communal satellite dish should be there for all to use? Its not possible to mount my own dish as its against the lease terms (plus I face the wrong way anyway) and UPC and other providers inform me that they have not been let into the building by the management company. So basically they have a monopoly on the TV provision.

Is this allowed??

I’ve heard of some EU directive which entitles every citizen to satellite coverage, but does this extend to access to a signal from a dish?

I’ve read many other posts on this but they all seem to have the opposite problem, as in they want to get Sky in and are not allowed to put up a dish.

Any info appreciated.

(On a side note I previously lived in this apartment complex (in 2008) and moved back because I liked it. At that time it was possible to hook up to the communal dish as the signal was already being sent to all apartments. I assumed this was still the case. I should have known better than to assume anything with a management company.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I assume the installation company will just run the cable from the distribution block to your apartment?

It's worth checking the sockets (if you haven't already), mine (shared apartment block dish) was pre-wired and works fine with a Sky box, no subscription.

EDIT: Sorry, you have checked..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Himselfe wrote: »
    Is this allowed??

In short, yes, it is allowed. They own the dish so can set any terms required.

That's the conditions for living in an apartment complex.

You have no right to use the satellite dish, for anything other than Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

I would imagine that Sky fitted the dish at their own expense which is why they (not the management company) won't let you use it for Freeview. It's one of the downsides of SAH communal dishes - they solve the problem but with restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Himselfe wrote: »

I’ve heard of some EU directive which entitles every citizen to satellite coverage, but does this extend to access to a signal from a dish?

That directive means that the government can't block satellite broadcasting. It is up to each person to find somewhere to live that allows you to get satellite if you want it. It does not say everyone can put up dishes anywhere they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Himselfe

Thanks for the replies. I made a few discreet inquiries and found out the dish was owned by the installation company and not Sky themselves. I got a phone number for one of the installers' employees who hooked me up to the dish for a one off install fee!! :)

So I've now got all the channels I want via Freesat (and RTE et al with the new Saorview) but don't have to pay Sky for thier crap, which I never watch anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement