Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree at NUI, Maynooth does not get any recognition

• 01-11-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was in contact with maynooth and the teaching council. They both said that the business in arts will not qualify anyone to teach business at secondary school. I think that this is just stupid. And if it is not good enough to teach leaving cert then the course itself must be a load of s**t. Is there any way around this stupid teaching councils decision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

You could do the NUI Maynooth BA (Finance) which qualifies you (after completion of PGDE) to teach buiness, accounting and economics according to >>> http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/TC_Publications/Autoquals_updated_16th_April_2010_59583648.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I should have mentioned that I was already looking at that. I am in no way interested in Accounting/Finance. Just the business side of things, so that course would be very boring for me. It also allows me to teach geography, which is my other planned subject.
    I am basically trying to leave that as a last resort, if I cant find something more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was in contact with maynooth and the teaching council. They both said that the business in arts will not qualify anyone to teach business at secondary school. I think that this is just stupid. And if it is not good enough to teach leaving cert then the course itself must be a load of s**t. Is there any way around this stupid teaching councils decision?

The course isn't necessarily crap, now I don't have anything good to say about the teaching council at the best of times but for a degree to be eligible for teaching purposes you have to cover certain topics within the degree and this degree may not cover particular topics, hence it is unsuitable. Business degrees aren't designed primarily with teaching in mind, they are designed to allow people to work in a business environment.

Just as I'm sure it's possible to do a history degree in European and American history which is all very fine, but useless to a person who wants to teach in Ireland if they didn't study Irish history as part of their course. It doesn't mean the degree was crap, it's just not suited to the course offered in second level schools.

I should have mentioned that I was already looking at that. I am in no way interested in Accounting/Finance. Just the business side of things, so that course would be very boring for me. It also allows me to teach geography, which is my other planned subject.
    I am basically trying to leave that as a last resort, if I cant find something more interesting.
    The course isn't necessarily crap, now I don't have anything good to say about the teaching council at the best of times but for a degree to be eligible for teaching purposes you have to cover certain topics within the degree and this degree may not cover particular topics, hence it is unsuitable. Business degrees aren't designed primarily with teaching in mind, they are designed to allow people to work in a business environment.

Just as I'm sure it's possible to do a history degree in European and American history which is all very fine, but useless to a person who wants to teach in Ireland if they didn't study Irish history as part of their course. It doesn't mean the degree was crap, it's just not suited to the course offered in second level schools.

Yea none of the teachers in my school are very fond of them either.
    I understand what you are saying about it not covering some topics. That makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Hi,

Yeah but you can then do Hdip in Education which you can then teach any subject you do to graduating level.

• Advertisement

petals wrote: »
    Yeah but you can then do Hdip in Education which you can then teach any subject you do to graduating level.

I think that you may be wrong on that one.
    The PDGE (H Dip) must be completed with nearly all degrees in-order to teach. A school may allow you to teach an extra subject, however it will not be recognized by the teaching council. You also need at least two teachable degree subjects inorder to be accepted into a PDGE (H Dip)

Im pretty sure that this is the case, where did you get this information from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

petals wrote: »

No, the HDip now called the PGDE is a teaching qualification, it enables you to teach. Your degree must be on the approved list of degrees with the Teaching Council to allow you to teach whatever subjects it is suitable for.

To qualify to teach a subject it must make up 30% of your degree and you must have taken the subject in the final year of your degree. The modules you take must also be relevant to the second level course, much the point I made about the history degree in the post above. You can take a pure history degree but if you don't have any modules in Irish history you will not be eligible to teach history in schools here.

Advertisement