Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ISAA "Irish Satellite Aerial Association"

• 01-11-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi all,

It's now been 12 months since our first meeting.
    It's been a bit slow, but all good things take time.

I've been approched in the last few days by a number of new companies, who are interested in joining us.

Since we are the only Association trying to set standards for this business, we would like to offer a free listing on our Ireland map, once your business can provide insurance details and a business name, and you can use our Logo on your stationary. (For a limited time only). If you join with a fee, you will get, a ISAA ID card, plus a ISAA membership number, and also your full business listing on our web site, also if any customers contact us directly, your business will be given priority.

I'm also getting a number of phone calls from the public, enquiring who I can recommend form the county.

And with the switch on of Saorview and Saorsat in the future, it would be in all parties interestes to join us, as the general public, would want a proper installation of the DTT or satellite equipment.

Regards,

Gerry

www.isaa.tv

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Well done on the website Gerry.

(It's a small point, but should the word 'satellite' in your logo not have a capital 'S'?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Well done on the website Gerry.

(It's a small point, but should the word 'satellite' in your logo not have a capital 'S'?)

Correct, I will fix.

Regards,

Gerry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hopefully this will help consumers sort the bodgers from the professionals.

All,

There is now a direct contact number on the site, and the site has been update.

All can contact me directly or email.:)

Regards,

Gerry

• Advertisement

All,

We now have the nessesary trainning in place,for (ISAA) new members,and we are now taking details for any party interested in this existing new development with DTT (saorview) and Satellite Installations.
    All new members will be trainned to a very high standard.

We only have one goal, to supply the public with a business (ISAA) which will have all members with standards.

Properly trainned,
    Insurance,
    Back up service for complaints,
    and giving this Business a excellent reputation.

www.isaa.tv

Regards,

Gerry :)

there is alot of UNINSURED COWBOYS out there, BEWARE

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

AstralTV wrote: »

Well make sure any one that is going to apply has a copy of there business insurance with them .

All,

I,ve had dozens of installers wanting to apply, but most don't have insurance, :mad:
    also doing day time jobs as well.:mad:
    buying decoders from argos uk and installing for MAD money.:mad:

This is why we are trying to sort out the real installer from the cowboys.

If you are in this business, give me a shout, and join up, :) to the only professional installation satellite/aerial body.

No PL,
    NO trainning,
    No back up service,

Regards,

Gerry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

ISAA wrote: »
    and you can use our Logo on your stationary

On my stationary what? ;)

The site needs to be proof-read.

"Use our map to find and installer in your area..."

"Trained in the Installation of Satellite and or Terrestrial transmissions."
    (How do you install a transmission?)

"So Join us (ISAA) today, and be apart of"

"and want our trainning"

"and we want to pass this onto new businness"

"We have over 100 years experiences, "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

Liameter wrote: »
    On my stationary what? ;)

The site needs to be proof-read.

"Use our map to find and installer in your area..."

"Trained in the Installation of Satellite and or Terrestrial transmissions."
    (How do you install a transmission?)

"So Join us (ISAA) today, and be apart of"

"and want our trainning"

"and we want to pass this onto new businness"

"We have over 100 years experiences, "

Give the lads a break, have a coke and a smile :D their trying very hard to get this up and running, theres a lot going on in the backround while also running their own business.

satpaul wrote: »
    Give the lads a break, have a coke and a smile :Dtheir (they're) trying very hard to get this up and running, theres (there's) a lot going on in the backround while also running their own business.

Normally I charge for proof-reading. Today I'm giving my services for free. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

AstralTV wrote: »

Thankfully, they can get insurance nowadays - unlike times gone by.
    Normally I charge for proof-reading. Today I'm giving my services for free. :D

You shouldn't have done that, I've already been taken to task for doing work for free. :)

Liameter,
    Thanks for the help, but would you like to put your hand in your pocket and help the cause, or mybe your one of those cowboys, and I have hit a sour point.

We are all running our own business, and this project is hard work, so help, and join us, supply the customer a business they can trust.

Regards,

Gerry:)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

To be fair, I don't think Liameter meant offence, and was just trying to be helpful in removing errors, thus making ISAA site more professional looking.

I could of course be wrong! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

All,

I,ve had dozens of installers wanting to apply, but most don't have insurance, :mad:
    also doing day time jobs as well.:mad:
    buying decoders from argos uk and installing for MAD money.:mad:

This is why we are trying to sort out the real installer from the cowboys.

If you are in this business, give me a shout, and join up, :) to the only professional installation satellite/aerial body.

No PL,
    NO trainning,
    No back up service,

Regards,

Gerry

I will stick my head above the parapet.
    Thanks for the dig. In some cases it is probably needed.
    I was at least one of the "day job too" installers you have spoken to, how else can I make ends meet?
    With respect, did you have expensive insurance from day one?
    I do this part time, no choice, too many at it in this area to rely on it for a living and I am running at break even point, just!
    Mad money? I am taking minimum wage rate for my time, less than most, if not all.
    I can't afford insurance just yet, but I am tying to get established.
    What training is required? I am always up to learn. No substitute for experience in any line of work.
    I have spent many an hour correcting the work of "trained and insured" installers.
    I will gladly get insurance when I make a profit of some sort.
    If I get it can I join the club too?
    What does it matter where the Freesat boxes are sourced, I will stand over any equipment and service I supply. A Freesat box is a Freesat box!
    What else is a back up service anyway?
    Please enlighten me so that I can charge higher prices too.:mad:
    No disrespect but we all have to start somewhere, and I really am trying to get into this line of work because I have a real and genuine intrest in it, not for the huge income.
    Does that make me a cowboy?
    Other than insurance, I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need to charge enough to cover ALL costs and make a profit. Unless you doing it for friends for nothing.

Make up a spreadsheet and put on it ALL your annual costs.
    • van overheads and depreciation (cost, tax, insurance, service, repairs, tyres etc..)
    • Test gear & tool depreciation. (inc cost of DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 capable BER and Spectrum meter, even if you don't have it today, assume it lasts five years.) Drills, ladders etc..
    • Public Liability Insurance (even if you don't have it today)
    • What ever other overheads such as Mobile phone, Website, Broadband, Association memberships

Divide that by number of days you will work and number of jobs on average realistically you can do in a day if business is half as good as you would like. Include travel time.
    That is base install cost.
    Then cost job time & travel at about x3 to x4 minimum wage, because
    (a) You can't do jobs all the time. You need to keep up to date etc.
    (b) You will have to do free call backs
    (c) If people charge minimum wage they train population into thinking that is what the job is worth. Doesn't it need much more talent, skill and training than a checkout operator or door Guard?
    (d) Don't forget PRSI, TAX, VAT etc...
    Assume a wastage in costing each supplied part from 1% to 10% depending what it is.

Don't undersell yourself. That's actually a way to go bust faster if you get more work!

watty wrote: »
    You need to charge enough to cover ALL costs and make a profit. Unless you doing it for friends for nothing.

Make up a spreadsheet and put on it ALL your annual costs.
    van overheads and depreciation
    Test gear & tool depreciation. (inc cost of DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 capable BER and Spectrum meter, even if you don't have it today, assume it lasts five years.)
    Public Liability Insurance (even if you don't have it today)

Divide that by number of days you will work and number of jobs on average realistically you can do in a day if business is half as good as you would like. Include travel time.
    That is base install cost.
    Then cost job time & travel at about x3 to x4 minimum wage, because
    (a) You can't do jobs all the time. You need to keep up to date etc.
    (b) You will have to do free call backs
    (c) If people charge minimum wage they train population into thinking that is what the job is worth. Doesn't it need much more talent, skill and training than a checkout operator or door Guard?

Don't undersell yourself. That's actually a way to go bust faster if you get more work!

Well then it looks like going bust, because I am only €5 cheaper than another long established local firm, so how else can I compete for the crumbs off the table?
    Who ever knows how many days work they are going to get? This is why I have to do a part time day job too. I do need to eat.
    Respect for ISAA and it's goals, I would love to make enough to qualify, ie make it my main income, but is that realistic? Really? There must be at least a dozen more competitors in this county, Gerry at ISAA being just one, so I am really fighting for the scraps.

By the way, I have invested in reasonable quality meters and tools, I do take it seriously, but it's tough to break into this and stay afloat. What to do, I don't know :confused:

Thanks for the pointers.

Insurance these days is a lot cheaper that the past, and most insurance companies do direct debit.

Also image having accident, dropping a hammer on a car or worse a child, and your life is ruined, all for a few quid.
    You could lose your home.

So contact a insurance company and have piece of mind, and security, and then join us, and we will train you up to our requirment.

PM me or phone.

Regards,

Gerry

Insurance these days is a lot cheaper that the past, and most insurance companies do direct debit.

Also image having accident, dropping a hammer on a car or worse a child, and your life is ruined, all for a few quid.
    You could lose your home.

So contact a insurance company and have piece of mind, and security, and then join us, and we will train you up to our requirment.

PM me or phone.

Regards,

Gerry

Yes, I will.

• Advertisement

excollier wrote: »
    By the way, I have invested in reasonable quality meters and tools, I do take it seriously, but it's tough to break into this and stay afloat. What to do, I don't know :confused:

Thanks for the pointers.
    Good on the meters & tools.

Re: Keeping afloat :(
    I wish I knew the answer
    5% Brilliant Ideas
    10% Talent
    10% Really hard work
    75% Getting a good break :)

I don't repair or install, I used to years ago. I don't any more as I am not convinced I can make a go of of it. My first business venture many years ago was very successful employing eventually 11 people (mix from East & West Belfast), I left to work for Westinghouse in Shannon, and have had three not-successful businesses and worked for three startups run by others that didn't work either.

watty wrote: »
    Good on the meters & tools.

Re: Keeping afloat :(
    I wish I knew the answer
    5% Brilliant Ideas
    10% Talent
    10% Really hard work
    75% Getting a good break :)

I don't repair or install, I used to years ago. I don't any more as I am not convinced I can make a go of of it. My first business venture many years ago was very successful employing eventually 11 people (mix from East & West Belfast), I left to work for Westinghouse in Shannon, and have had three not-successful businesses and worked for three startups run by others that didn't work either.

Pretty much what I thought. I will have to tough it out and hope for the best!

All,

I,ve received dozens of calls from the public looking for saorview nationwide, but I can't forward names of installers, as we have not got to many yet.
    So all installers out there, if you want more work give me a buzz, and join up. FREE

Below is just a few samples :

Galway : 15 calls,
    Midlands : 23 calls,
    Sligo : 9 calls,

Plus many others.

People are starting to want a professional body who they can relay on, and have all the (DIGITAL TICKS).

Regards,

Gerry

Well then it looks like going bust, because I am only €5 cheaper than another long established local firm, so how else can I compete for the crumbs off the table?

That's an easy one. By charging more and offering a better service. :)
    Competing on price is definitely not the way to go.

There are online courses that will teach you how to run a business in a way that maximises your profit.

I can't forward names of installers, as we have not got to many yet.

So how do you intend to get to them? By advertising?

There's already a body doing what you are trying to do.
    http://www.rdi-lb.tv/

I don't understand why you are duplicating their efforts. They've been established for several years.

So how do you intend to get to them? By advertising?

I don't understand why you are duplicating their efforts. They've been established for several years.

Very simple, where Irish based, not UK based.

regards,

Gerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yes and the CAI do similar work but they are both in the UK. What Gerry is doing is for Ireland.

You might as well say theres a body in Belgium doing this why are you duplicating their efforts.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

That's an easy one. By charging more and offering a better service. :)
    Competing on price is definitely not the way to go.

There are online courses that will teach you how to run a business in a way that maximises your profit.

Thing is everyone says " X or Y can do it for less or similar price, what can you offer that's better/different?" how do I combat that in today's economic climate? Folk are keeping tight purse strings these days.
    Anyway I will try harder, promise.

Thing is everyone says " X or Y can do it for less or similar price,

Best of luck in your endeavours. When someone is charging less than you and assuming you are charging a fair price there are usually good reasons fo this which you can explore.

To give you an example a management company in South Dublin run by the tenants approached me as I had carried out work on an individual apartment.

I quoted for the total re wire of the building using top quality Ct125 cable (some of the runs were quite long) and I insisted on earth bonding to be carried out by a qualified and certified electrician.

They were happy with the quote until someone on the commitee decided to look elsewhere for another quote which was way cheaper than mine.

On examination of the other quote it turned they wre quoting for

A. Low quality free to air receivers and not official freesat receivers

B. No provision for earth bonding

C. RG6 cable specified.

Point being is that if a potential customer says someone else can do it cheaper you can ask questions like have they got insurance? Are they providing freesat boxes? Is vat included (this probably does not apply to you yet). I got the job and they later told me that they felt after I explained the differences in quality that it was a fair price.

Hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement

Tony wrote: »
    Best of luck in your endeavours. When someone is charging less than you and assuming you are charging a fair price there are usually good reasons fo this which you can explore.

To give you an example a management company in South Dublin run by the tenants approached me as I had carried out work on an individual apartment.

I quoted for the total re wire of the building using top quality Ct125 cable (some of the runs were quite long) and I insisted on earth bonding to be carried out by a qualified and certified electrician.

They were happy with the quote until someone on the commitee decided to look elsewhere for another quote which was way cheaper than mine.

On examination of the other quote it turned they wre quoting for

A. Low quality free to air receivers and not official freesat receivers

B. No provision for earth bonding

C. RG6 cable specified.

Point being is that if a potential customer says someone else can do it cheaper you can ask questions like have they got insurance? Are they providing freesat boxes? Is vat included (this probably does not apply to you yet). I got the job and they later told me that they felt after I explained the differences in quality that it was a fair price.

Hope it goes well for you.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

Thanks for your input, much appreciated:)

You've gotten some great advice off tony and everybody else, its very important to have a landline phone also, it shows people that you actually live somewhere and makes them more confident in using you , by the way how long are you installing satellite and aerial ?.

scruffy66 wrote: »
    You've gotten some great advice off tony and everybody else, its very important to have a landline phone also, it shows people that you actually live somewhere and makes them more confident in using you , by the way how long are you installing satellite and aerial ?.

Thanks, a landline number would only get me at night, but I will add it. I have been part time installing for three years now with a business name/tax reg. Started as a self help hobby, then all the theory from the internet and text book by Bob Calaz, and then lots of learning the proper way, by experience. I have learned a lot, with lots more to learn. I certainly know what to aviod anyway!

You could try voicemail or maybe divert to your mobile

Thanks, a landline number would only get me at night,

All,

We have had a excellent response for ISAA trainning.
    It proves that future satellite/terr installers out there are looking for a standard, which in turn, the customer gets a professional installation, and a excellent service.

We all know anybody can advertise a service, but been associated with the ISAA, with over 100 years experience, (board members) and some long term satellite/Aerial existing business wanting to join, it proves all good things take time, and the customer gets a excellent service.:)

Regards,

Gerry

Thanks, a landline number would only get me at night, but I will add it. I have been part time installing for three years now with a business name/tax reg. Started as a self help hobby, then all the theory from the internet and text book by Bob Calaz, and then lots of learning the proper way, by experience. I have learned a lot, with lots more to learn. I certainly know what to aviod anyway!

Maybe you should put yourself up on www.freesatdirectory.ie for the county your in.Its linked with www.freetoair.ie ,so it gets a lot of hits and if you haven't got your own website it would be a great way of getting your name
    out there on the net.

• Advertisement

Maybe you should put yourself up on www.freesatdirectory.ie for the county your in.Its linked with www.freetoair.ie ,so it gets a lot of hits and if you haven't got your own website it would be a great way of getting your name
    out there on the net.

Scruffy,

Are you a member of freesatdirectory ? because you keep promoting it.
    I'm for fair business, but some people on that web site may have no PL, and as a result the customer many get unprofessional installers, and could open themself to major issues if a problem arose.

Most proper tradesmen have some connection with Assocation or another body, ie : RECI, Amalgamated Society of Carpenters,Construction Industry Federation, etc.

We at the ISAA are putting proper trainning in place, with PL as a minimum requirement to join, and have a registered business.
    It would make more sense for freesadirectory to join us, if there members met our requirments, so the public can have confidence in a body.

What requirment does a business need to have there name on there map ? if any, but you could only answer these questions if you are apart of freesatdirectory.

Regards,

Gerry

Scruffy,

Are you a member of freesatdirectory ? because you keep promoting it.
    I'm for fair business, but some people on that web site have no PL, and as a result the customer many get unprofessional installers, and could open themself to major issues if a problem arose.

Most proper tradesmen have some connection with Assocation or another body, ie : RECI, Amalgamated Society of Carpenters,Construction Industry Federation, etc.

We at the ISAA are putting proper trainning in place, with PL as a minimum requirement to join, and have a registered business.
    It would make more sense for freesadirectory to join us, if there members met our requirments, so the public can have confidence in a body.

What requirment does a business need to have there name on there map ? if any, but you could only answer these questions if you are apart of freesatdirectory.

Regards,

Gerry

Gerry
    I for one have no problem with ISSA and people who join them.

I myself have PL and also accident insurance so that if i end up out of
    work due to an accident i will get paid for some months.

I think installers are mad not to have at least the PL but thats just my
    opinion, im not going to insult installers or any tradesmen by telling
    them that their not PROPER TRADESMEN unless they have PL.

As i say i have insurance[ PL and accident] and i do my own work
    , most of which i get through word of mouth, i also get work off the
    net and found www.freesatdirectory.ie good for getting work and was
    just passing that info on to EXCOLLIER.

wish you all the best with ISSA

Regards
    Scruffy

Gerry
    I for one have no problem with ISSA and people who join them.

I myself have PL and also accident insurance so that if i end up out of
    work due to an accident i will get paid for some months.

I think installers are mad not to have at least the PL but thats just my
    opinion, im not going to insult installers or any tradesmen by telling
    them that their not PROPER TRADESMEN unless they have PL.

As i say i have insurance[ PL and accident] and i do my own work
    , most of which i get through word of mouth, i also get work off the
    net and found www.freesatdirectory.ie good for getting work and was
    just passing that info on to EXCOLLIER.

wish you all the best with ISSA

Regards
    Scruffy

Scruffy,

PL/accident also, a must in this business, to protect us and the public, but my opinion is that anybody working at height or on other peoples property, should have PL.

Scruffy since you have PL and in this business, why not place your business name on the ISAA site, it gives a more detailed description for the public to see your skills, so they can get the right man for the right job, plus they know you have PL. Where are you based ?

Regards,

Gerry

Scruffy,

PL/accident also, a must in this business, to protect us and the public, but my opinion is that anybody working at height or on other peoples property, should have PL.

Scruffy since you have PL and in this business, why not place your business name on the ISAA site, it gives a more detailed description for the public to see your skills, so they can get the right man for the right job, plus they know you have PL. Where are you based ?

Regards,

Gerry

Gerry,

Well as i said i've no problem with ISSA and if installers feel the need to be a part of an organisation thats fine,i mean it has its benefits.

I for one wont be joining , not because it doesn't have benefits but because
    i don't believe in it.

I have all the training and years of experience i need , PL/ Accident and as far as work goes i think doing a good job at a reasonable price and letting word of mouth do its stuff.

But look, for installers who started doing satellite as a hobby or sky installers
    who need to learn about Aerial installation and feel they could do with more Training and have a logo on their van etc, then the ISSA could be for them.

I wish the ISSA every success in the future.

Regards
    scruffy

The ISAA is for ALL aerial and Satellite installers.

Especially the good and experienced ones. If it's successful it will become the official organisation for Ireland. That's the goal.
    Hence it is listed on http://www.saortv.info sidebar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Sam the Aerialman

And what about companies based in Northern Ireland who may lets say have had various disagreements with the CAI over the years. It is something i would seriously consider, we're RDI registered for that digital tick thing with that stupid robot which you can use on flyers but not on your vans but not on business cards and all this other sh1t, drives me mental.

I don't see anything wrong with a trade organisation, i think a network of learned people can only be good for business especially from the point of view as we have a website, a freephone telephone number, e-mail form and callback. You may get a call from someone outside a reasonable traveling distance and it never hurts to have the number of a recommended installation firm down there in that part of the world. It's a scratch my back and i'll scratch your mentality.

I' am getting increasing worried about the trade, the sheer amount of people that have taken up the aerial game for a quick buck is deadly. Driving down the Motorways passing vans "Digital aerials this and that" guys on roofs with no experience never mind no insurance. I just watched a guy and his mate wrestle a 26ft pole with a DAT45 completely over the top for RTE reception of Clermont, 5 mins later i drove back around past the house the rig is lying in the hedge and the front window is bucked in.

It can only be a good thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Harry.c

I' am getting increasing worried about the trade, the sheer amount of people that have taken up the aerial game for a quick buck is deadly. Driving down the Motorways passing vans "Digital aerials this and that" guys on roofs with no experience never mind no insurance.

with you on that one Sam, I too am getting very worried on the trade, all the quickbukkies in it now is not good at all!

Sam the Aerialman,

No problem including Northern Ireland, and one of our board members is from the North, just no interest in the past from that part of the country.

Given me a direct buzz, and we can chat, or text me ( 086 8832933) and I will return your call.

Regards,

Gerry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I have been watching this thread for a while and I feel that the professional installers seems to be missing a vital point - Public Liability insurance is not mandatory i.e not a legal requirement. I think this is the biggest problem you face.

I tried my hand at dish installing but I just couldn't, at the time, justify the insurance costs at startup. Now, I am the type of bloke who felt it a requirment to have insurance before getting into the game. However, as you know, there are 100's of guys in the game without insurance and don't loose any sleep over it.

The ISAA need to realise that this unregulated industry is asking for the "...but I'm not breaking any law bud, am I?" response when asked why no PL insurance.

While I personally think the organisation is a good thing I really think it would be better to focus ALL ISAA efforts on getting some sort of legal standard in the industry supported by the government (whoever they may be!).

I know plenty of people who have used all type of trademan (as I am sure you do to) over the years who come in and do a job (yes, sometimes a very good job -someimes not) without any insurance at all. It is extremely difficult to argue with a) the average Joe hiring these guys, as, like it or not, the cost is usually less to them or b) the tradesperson for the lack of legal guidelines on the issue.

Now, before people start jumping down my throat here I need to clarify that I, personally, don't condone using trade people who aren't insured but the reality is that there is a huge amount of people that only want a cheaper job. Of course they don't know if an insured installed is any better or worse than a non insured one, it's just not that black and white.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is that in order for a member of the ISAA to "matter" a lot of legal hurdles have to be jumped first - the biggest being the absolute legal requirement for any trandesman to carry insurance (and maybe some sort of technical acheivement). Otherwise, there really isn't anything to stop a so-called cowboy group setting up the SAAI, for after all, at the end of the day, it really is just a club at the moment.

I know I will get slated for this, but as I said, I really think an orgainistation like yours is needed I just feel the average Joe won't pay a blind bit of notice to it unless it is backed up with legislation.

/runs off to hide for fear of being beaten/

Thanks for your input, but I have been in touch with Eammon Ryan about going down the right road, and he was not interested, and he's for the moment, the minister of communications.:mad:

I'm also aware of PL issues, but at the end of the day not to many other trademen work at height,
    and we will allways get the non professional doing the nixers, and some of them are good at there job.

We have to start somewhere and try to give the public a proffesional service. (ISAA)

Many Thanks,

Gerry

Legislation is not required and if it did happen would be unenforceable anyway. The whole point of the ISAA in my view is to give people the choice to hire someone who meets certain standards.

Would you hire a guy with or without insurance given the choice?

The consumer will decide.

Legislation is not required and if it did happen would be unenforceable anyway. The whole point of the ISAA in my view is to give people the choice to hire someone who meets certain standards.

Would you hire a guy with or without insurance given the choice?

The consumer will decide.

Personally no. However, a large majority of people wouldn't care and would let the price dictate. Unfortunatly that's the reality.

azzeretti wrote: »
    Personally no. However, a large majority of people wouldn't care and would let the price dictate. Unfortunatly that's the reality.

Bit of a sweeping statement there, how do you know this?

Up to now customers have not had the ability to differentiate easily. People do have the ability to differentiate between low price and quality at a reasonable price.

azzeretti wrote: »

over the past few months 70 to 80% of my customers have been aware to what ISAA is and stands for and have visited the website, so public awareness is growing.

Bit of a sweeping statement there, how do you know this?

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. Obviously I can only speak from personal experience and from anecdotal evidence available to me. I have many friends in trade jobs - covering all sorts from plumbers to electricians to carpenters to plasters. All - every singal one of them - are experiencing difficulties finding work and they can directly attribute this to job prices.
    Up to now customers have not had the ability to differentiate easily. People do have the ability to differentiate between low price and quality at a reasonable price

How? What are basing there selection on? Previous jobs? How many direct, repeat customers do you get on a each year? If the average Joe sees two adverts in a paper, one saying "This gear for €300" and the other saying "The same gear as him for €150" you really think that the average person is going to immediatley think the difference in price MUST be based on quality of installation? I would say very few would make that assumption. The reality, again from personal experience, would be more along the lines of "thieving b@stard charging me €300 for the same kit that I can get for €150"

Personally, like I said, I can see there is a difference between yourself preforming an install and Cowboy John the Satellite Installer/Baker/Painter/Gardner type. But most people have no reference point and unless they know for certain that the cheaper option is dodgy and inferior my guess is a large portion on people will go the cheaper route.

As for the point made about not being able to enforce legislation, I don't buy it. Self regulation exists, reasonably well, in industry already -self assesment tax etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement