Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ISAA "Irish Satellite Aerial Association"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

azzeretti wrote: »
    We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. Obviously I can only speak from personal experience and from anecdotal evidence available to me. I have many friends in trade jobs - covering all sorts from plumbers to electricians to carpenters to plasters. All - every singal one of them - are experiencing difficulties finding work and they can directly attribute this to job prices.

Agree to disagree? Why will you not debate the point?

If its anecdotal evidence based on your own experience than how does this equate to being a reality as you stated (more like arrogant presumption)?

The fact that your friends in other trades irrelevant to this one are finding difficulty finding work may be attributed to many factors and equating those experiences to the topic at hand is frankly ridiculous.

How? What are basing there selection on? Previous jobs? How many direct, repeat customers do you get on a each year? If the average Joe sees two adverts in a paper, one saying "This gear for €300" and the other saying "The same gear as him for €150" you really think that the average person is going to immediatley think the difference in price MUST be based on quality of installation? I would say very few would make that assumption. The reality, again from personal experience, would be more along the lines of "thieving b@stard charging me €300 for the same kit that I can get for €150"

Again you seem to think you can speak for consumers in a general sense, if what you are saying was true myself and others would be out of business a long time ago as I am not the cheapest but yet here I am am 16 years later.
    Personally, like I said, I can see there is a difference between yourself preforming an install and Cowboy John the Satellite Installer/Baker/Painter/Gardner type.

So why do you arrogantly assume that others cannot make the same distinction?

But most people have no reference point and unless they know for certain that the cheaper option is dodgy and inferior my guess is a large portion on people will go the cheaper route.

Again a guess on your part based on nothing more than hearsay and your own anecdotal evidence. As the ISAA becomes better known it will become the reference point.
    As for the point made about not being able to enforce legislation, I don't buy it. Self regulation exists, reasonably well, in industry already -self assesment tax etc.

Really? next you'll be telling us that banking self regulation worked. We have consumer legislation already which covers our industry. Legislation for compulsory insurance will do nothing more than drive the cost through the roof.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Tony wrote: »
    Agree to disagree? Why will you not debate the point?

Because I didn't really want to derail this thread any further.
    If its anecdotal evidence based on your own experience than how does this equate to being a reality as you stated (more like arrogant presumption)?

Well, doesn't ones personal experience form the basis for most opinion? Not really sure I like the way you are inferring arrogance on my part, I am merely providing a different view point to this thread in a public fourm, how can this, or my opionion based on my personal experience equate to arrogance?

The fact that your friends in other trades irrelevant to this one are finding difficulty finding work may be attributed to many factors and equating those experiences to the topic at hand is frankly ridiculous.

In your opinion - see, I let you have one! However, your retort is rubbish (in my opinion - better say that after everything now, just in case!). Almost every industry is facing trouble all steming from the current economic climate. And most are adjusting to the need for lower prices - or going bust - that isn't just my opinion but a reality. If the consumer is being faced with two option and one is much cheaper than the other, most (not in the know), will choose the cheaper option.

So why do you arrogantly assume that others cannot make the same distinction?

Simply and certainly not arrogantly, I have a decent knowledge of the technical side of Satellite installation. I would be able to have a conversation with an installer and find out quickly enough if he is a chancer or not. Most people calling in installers don't know a dish from an LNB. Could you make the distinction in all other apects of services available - mechanics, computer repairs, tailors, electrican etc.? I would be surprised if you could, put yourself in their position.

Again a guess on your part based on nothing more than hearsay and your own anecdotal evidence. As the ISAA becomes better known it will become the reference point.

I think the ISAA is a great idea and welcome it, but I just feel it needs proper backing from a legal point of view, otherwise it's just another men's club, I'm afraid.
    Really? next you'll be telling us that banking self regulation worked. We have consumer legislation already which covers our industry..

Where is the comsumer regulation covering compulsory public/product liability insurance for satellite installers?
    Legislation for compulsory insurance will do nothing more than drive the cost through the roof

Which is it Tony? You either want all installers having insurance or you don't. How will making it compulsory increase the cost. As I said already, there are quite a few self regulating industries doing fine out there, bankers aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

All,

Just for the record, we have had a vast increase of hits to the site, and phone calls, e mails, from the public looking for professional sat installers.

I am aware of all of the above, but as I have on the web site :

Quality Assured :

The public do want good value, so we have to give a excellent service and profeesional installations. We all (most of us) pay a little more for proper work done.

Regards,

Gerry

Because I didn't really want to derail this thread any further.

How has it been derailed? seems to me you use this word every time you want to post but not back up your arguement

Well, doesn't ones personal experience form the basis for most opinion?

Opinion is fine but you try to portray your opinion as reality (your word)
    Not really sure I like the way you are inferring arrogance on my part, I am merely providing a different view point to this thread in a public fourm, how can this, or my opionion based on my personal experience equate to arrogance?

Because you seek to speak for consumers and their attitude to insurance

If the consumer is being faced with two option and one is much cheaper than the other, most (not in the know), will choose the cheaper option.

Again I ask what are you basing this on, if it were true (and I'm repeating ) many of us would be out of business. How many are "not in the know" as you put it? What particular insight do you have on consumer attitudes

It is arrogant of you to presume that consumers lack the intelligence to make informed choices.

Could you make the distinction in all other apects of services available - mechanics, computer repairs, tailors, electrican etc.? I would be surprised if you could, put yourself in their position.

Yes of course I could just like any other consumer, if I think something is particularly cheap I usually find out why. Why would you assume otherwise ?

I think the ISAA is a great idea and welcome it, but I just feel it needs proper backing from a legal point of view, otherwise it's just another men's club, I'm afraid.

Wrong again, the CAI in the UK has been successful for many years without any additional legisaltion being passed, public liability insurance is not mandaory there.

Where is the comsumer regulation covering compulsory public/product liability insurance for satellite installers?

Their is'nt I've never suggested there is

Which is it Tony? You either want all installers having insurance or you don't.

Its not for me to decide whether installers have insurance or not, whats your point?
    How will making it compulsory increase the cost.

Are you seriously suggesting that the insurance industry would not take advantage if it were mandatory? Spare me
    As I said already, there are quite a few self regulating industries doing fine out there, bankers aside.

If they are self regulating why would they need legislation?

Tony - I am not sure if you realise what the definition of arrogance is, however, in case you don't, it is an rather offensive term to use. It suggests that I have been offensive in my posts, which I feel I haven't. It also suggests that I have some sort of superiority complex. Can you just calrify, that this what you mean? Because the frequency that you use this term, directed at me, suggests that you think I fit all of the above, which I feel is unwarranted and abusive.

I am not hiding from any sort of debate on this issue. I am simply stating an opinion. You asked my why I didn't want to debate the matter, but you clearly are not debating this issue.

The following is a real world example of what I know is fact and what I am basing my opinion on. I would be very surprised (as I have talked to more than one installer about this very issue) if there are not more installers in the same situation as what I am about to describe.

I am living on the coast in Wexford. Around me, within a stretch of about 25 miles either side, is a large amount of mobile home parks. In 3 of these mobile home parks - two small sites of about 50 mobile homes and one large site with over 350 mobile homes - I have immediate family who have summer residence on the site. In or around about June/July 2009 I noticed the start of a sustained advertising campaign by satellite installers with various offers, all pertaining to the imminant closure of the UK terestrial service (you may or may not know that at that stage a large percentage of mobile homes used an areial on to receive their TV). I would guess that between when I first noticed the ads in local shops, papers, pubs etc there have been about 10-12 different companies trying to sell installations. I know, not too well , but certainly by name, about 4 reputable satellite installers around this area and I have also seen their various adverts for similar installations. There was, from the very start, a big differential between these guys and new guys trying to make a quick buck - a considerable difference that decreased over time but is still noticable today.

Now, heres the fun part. In the 3 mobile home parks, I installed dishs and boxes for my immediately family early on. On a few occassions I was approched and asked to install for other mobile home owners. I declined all of them but natrually got talking about their options. Of these, every signal one was opting fot the cheaper option. If I go further and take all the people my family know within each mobile home park, there is not one who didn't take the cheaper options. At the time they asked me to look at the various options and comment and although I did advise the difference between Freesat box and FTA boxes they all were happy to go with the cheaper option.

More? OK - I know, reasonably well, the owner of the one mobile home sites, he was approached by one of these installers early on and told that if he passed on his number any installs he got he would pass on a percentage of the install fee. When question about insurance, the installer backed away from his offer. I have personally witnessed a satellite installer van with a completely different company name and unrelated business printed on the van he was installing from. I have also witnessed, on more than one occassion, installers fitting dishes using those "under €10" satellite meters. This all screams unprofessional and cowboy to me, but there are many of these installs still up and preforming well.

None of this is to say that the reputable installers aren't getting business on these sites, they are, just not nearlly as much and I would say most of the business they get is from word of mouth from the site owners themselves.

This is all a reality Tony, and it's gonna come tenfold with the Irish DTT and Satellite option coming down the line coupled with the farce of a economic climate we are in.

I am not trying to say that you, personally are charging too much, or any reputable installer with insurance and sound technical knowledge of the game is charging too much. What I am saying is, as you asked me to do, that there are plenty, in my opinion a larger amount, of people who when faced with two options will tend torwards the cheapest - this is fact based on what I say above.
    Again I ask what are you basing this on, if it were true (and I'm repeating ) many of us would be out of business. How many are "not in the know" as you put it? What particular insight do you have on consumer attitudes

I know other reputable installers are pissed about this, there is even a thread about it somewhere - are you telling me that they are all making these stories up, that Billy the baker isn't doing satellite installs and taking business away from the guys who are in the business years? This is what I am basing it one, on threads on Boards from reputable installers bemoaning it. The insight comes from the many people/comsumers I talked to over the last 2-3 years.
    It is arrogant of you to presume that consumers lack the intelligence to make informed choices.

I do no such thing, where is this arrogance you keep suggesting. The informed choices are made based on whatever reason - price, company name, product - whatever. What is clear is that there is a danger other wise threads about it wouldn't exist.

To end a rather long thread. I am not going debate this anymore Tony, I have laid down opinion in what I feel is far from arrogant and you continue to take personal issue with me.

I said before I think the ISAA is a great idea but until something is done to stop anyone setting up and selling below prices it will be nothing more that a gentleman's club. I would love to see it made an official body, I really would, but I just don't think it will happen and that is also reality.

Ok let me try to boil this down.

Firstly I am not taking personal issue with you and I apologise if you took it that way.

The arrogance I speak of is making general assumptions about their entire market in Ireland . If you had clarifeid at the outset that you were speaking about mobile homes in Wexford the that indeed may be the reality in that small part of the market but its certainly wrong to portray it as being present in all parts of the market .

One of the advantages of the ISAA is that people who chose to can find installers in their area who meet certain standards as oposed to those who meet none.

Its a very simple concept that consumers decide who they want over the guys they dont and eventually the market decides who stays and who goes.

I find your use of the term "gentlemans club" insulting.

I'm not sure at all what you mean by making it an "official body". ?

What do you mean by stopping somone selling "below prices"? To stop someone selling is impossible and fixing prices or even imposing conditions is illegal.

What I strived to do and intend to do in the future is to differentiate my business from the less than professional businesses you mentioned earlier. I feel by joining the ISAA I will give further reassurance in that regard

Ultimately the consumer will decide whether or not I have achieved that, not legislation or market fixing that you propose

To end a rather long thread. I am not going debate this anymore Tony, I have laid down opinion in what I feel is far from arrogant and you continue to take personal issue with me.

I said before I think the ISAA is a great idea but until something is done to stop anyone setting up and selling below prices it will be nothing more that a gentleman's club. I would love to see it made an official body, I really would, but I just don't think it will happen and that is also reality.

The arrogance I speak of is making general assumptions about their entire market in Ireland . If you had clarifeid at the outset that you were speaking about mobile homes in Wexford the that indeed may be the reality in that small part of the market but its certainly wrong to portray it as being present in all parts of the market .

Tony, a quick scan of this thread mentions - Wicklow, Wexford, Limerick and Donegal - That's me looking at the first few pages - these are the installers in these parts stating that this is a REAL problem. I think you have your head in the sand if you think this is not effecting you.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056006224
    One of the advantages of the ISAA is that people who chose to can find installers in their area who meet certain standards as oposed to those who meet none.

I agree. Like I said its a good idea but will it stop cowboys getting into and undercutting you and people making a living in this industry?
    I find your use of the term "gentlemans club" insulting.

Umm, I can't help feeling this insults you becasuse I said being called arrogant insulted me ;) Regardless, it wasn't intended to insult anyone. At present there is no difference between the ISAA and any club a few lads get together a make. There is no authority there.

I'm not sure at all what you mean by making it an "official body". ?

I mean a legal body that governs your industry similar to other governing bodies in many, many other professions. I have taken some of your own quotes from the thread above. It clearly shows your concern to these "clowns" bringing your industry down.
    I strongly disagree, these guys are damaging the satellite business by giving it a bad name, remember as an industry we are competting with cable companies and MMDS so when one of these morons screws up it hurts us all.
    I welcome competition as long as we are all playing on the same level playing field. Those clowns do not.

Competition is good , taking advantage of the public is bad.

What do you mean by stopping somone selling "below prices"? To stop someone selling is impossible and fixing prices or even imposing conditions is illegal.

What I strived to do and intend to do in the future is to differentiate my business from the less than professional businesses you mentioned earlier. I feel by joining the ISAA I will give further reassurance in that regard

Ultimately the consumer will decide whether or not I have achieved that, not legislation or market fixing that you propose

I can't help feeling you want the cowboys/clowns out and the market left to professional installers with very low overheads.

Imposing conditions over a certain market place is most certainly not illegal, if that were true there would be no regulationg on say, the medical profession or the legal profession or gaming or hunting ....the list goes on.

I realise the ISAA has to start somewhere and there will be comsumers who will use the site to see registered installers and use them. My only point, in all this, is that until a body is created to legally enforce certain conditions in the market place you have an up hill battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Question (Sorry if this has already been asked)

Will ISAA installers be security cleared ?

Tony, a quick scan of this thread mentions - Wicklow, Wexford, Limerick and Donegal - That's me looking at the first few pages - these are the installers in these parts stating that this is a REAL problem. I think you have your head in the sand if you think this is not effecting you.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056006224

I dont have my head in the sand, anyone who competes with me of course has an effect on my business, thats what competition is all about

I agree. Like I said its a good idea but will it stop cowboys getting into and undercutting you and people making a living in this industry?

Its not supposed to stop anybody, you are completely missing the point here, its is not and never will be possible to stop anyone carrying out business.

Umm, I can't help feeling this insults you becasuse I said being called arrogant insulted me ;)

Nonsense thats just childish
    Regardless, it wasn't intended to insult anyone. At present there is no difference between the ISAA and any club a few lads get together a make. There is no authority there.

Again you miss the point, its not supposed to be an authority its supposed to give consumers a choice. Do you know of a trade association anywhere that has authority? What happened to your "self regulation" theory ?

I mean a legal body that governs your industry similar to other governing bodies in many, many other professions.

Can you give some relevant examples? Do mechanics and plumbers have governing bodies with legal standing? I think you are drifting into fantasy here
    I have taken some of your own quotes from the thread above. It clearly shows your concern to these "clowns" bringing your industry down.

Of course I have concerns but unlike you I am taking positive realistic steps to address this. You criticise the ISAA yet you have no realistic alternative .
    I can't help feeling you want the cowboys/clowns out and the market left to professional installers with very low overheads.

You've lost me there I've no idea what you mean.
    Imposing conditions over a certain market place is most certainly not illegal, if that were true there would be no regulationg on say, the medical profession or the legal profession or gaming or hunting ....the list goes on.

The type of restraint of trade you propose most certainly is illegal.
    I realise the ISAA has to start somewhere and there will be comsumers who will use the site to see registered installers and use them. My only point, in all this, is that until a body is created to legally enforce certain conditions in the market place you have an up hill battle.

Your argument is fatally flawed ,there never will be a governing body to regulate satellite installers no more than there will be for mechanics, plumbers, electricians .... the list goes on.

I do business in the real world

• Advertisement

So, this if fun!
    Its not supposed to stop anybody, you are completely missing the point here, its is not and never will be possible to stop anyone carrying out business.

So, by this reasoning why bother with a law stop drug dealing if it's immpossible to stop anyone carring out business. Come on Tony, you need rules and enforcement in most matters.
    Again you miss the point, its not supposed to be an authority

So, why was the minister approached as stated earlier in this thread?
    its supposed to give consumers a choice.

Great, I am all for chioce, but don't naively think that this is all their decision will be based on.
    Do you know of a trade association anywhere that has authority?

Well, not to labour the point, there are plenty of organisations with authority. For instance I can't just set up a clinic in my local town and start practising medicine. How is it that this can be governed and enforced. Why not strive to apply the same principles to the Satellite Installers profession?

There are bodies in other trades too, for instance you can't get a "certified" electrical job carried out unless you are RECI certified.
    I think you are drifting into fantasy here

Really?
    You criticise the ISAA yet you have no realistic alternative .

I am not sure I ever criticised it at all, I merely suggested what I think is needed in the industry, on more that one occassion I said it's a good start.

The type of restraint of trade you propose most certainly is illegal.

If this is what you beleive lobby to have it changed so to enforce a better quality of service, legally, for your industry.
    Your argument is fatally flawed ,there never will be a governing body to regulate satellite installers no more than there will be for mechanics, plumbers, electricians .... the list goes on.

I do business in the real world

Not sure how to respond to this.....if you aren't willing to try and change things then you are correct, nothing will change. You have stated many times in other threads how it annoys you that "clowns" are taking money from you by providing cheaper, lesser quality installations. Why don't do something about it?

To clarify what I meant about self regulation: Suppose there is a certain legal standard that a person must meet to be called a qualified satellite/ariel installer. Suppoes it involves a 16 week diploma course and an equivilant SafePass certification. Suppose also you need to provide annual proof of holding public liability insurance. Lets say, you complete these courses and hold the certificate to be an installer. It has cost you an initial fee in training and safety measures. Now, imagine I move into your area and slap up some cheap flyers and local ads saying I am an installer and start under cutting you on both price and qualitiy. Are you telling me that, if I was not certified, you would not be straight on to the governing body to let them know who I am??? This is what I mean when I say self regulating.

So, this if fun!

So, by this reasoning why bother with a law stop drug dealing if it's immpossible to stop anyone carring out business. Come on Tony, you need rules and enforcement in most matters.

I'm talking about legal business here as you well know. Any fool can make an arguement of extremes

So, why was the minister approached as stated earlier in this thread?

Since Gerry made that approach I would not think it approriate to speak for him

there are plenty of organisations with authority. For instance I can't just set up a clinic in my local town and start practising medicine. How is it that this can be governed and enforced. Why not strive to apply the same principles to the Satellite Installers profession?

Because health care and supplying consumer products are entirely different things, your arguemnts are bordering on the farcical
    There are bodies in other trades too, for instance you can't get a "certified" electrical job carried out unless you are RECI certified.

So whats the difference in being ISAA certified? what makes RECI more than a gentlemans club specificially ?

I am not sure I ever criticised it at all, I merely suggested what I think is needed in the industry, on more that one occassion I said it's a good start.

So calling it no more than a gentelemans club is not criticising, give me a break

If this is what you beleive lobby to have it changed so to enforce a better quality of service, legally, for your industry.

Lobby to have what changed ? I've said there is no need for legislation ,that was your proposal

Not sure how to respond to this.....if you aren't willing to try and change things then you are correct, nothing will change. You have stated many times in other threads how it annoys you that "clowns" are taking money from you by providing cheaper, lesser quality installations. Why don't do something about it?

I am doing something about it. When have I said that clowns are taking money away from me?

You are doing nothing except engaging in speculation about actions that are not legally possible but then again you have nothing to lose since you are no longer an installer, I dont have that luxury

I do this for a living in the real world of what is possible and what is not

To clarify what I meant about self regulation: Suppose there is a certain legal standard that a person must meet to be called a qualified satellite/ariel installer. Suppoes it involves a 16 week diploma course and an equivilant SafePass certification. Suppose also you need to provide annual proof of holding public liability insurance. Lets say, you complete these courses and hold the certificate to be an installer. It has cost you an initial fee in training and safety measures. Now, imagine I move into your area and slap up some cheap flyers and local ads saying I am an installer and start under cutting you on both price and qualitiy. Are you telling me that, if I was not certified, you would not be straight on to the governing body to let them know who I am??? This is what I mean when I say self regulating.

Thats not self regulation, self regulation requires everyone to be a member of a body. The Institute of Chartered accounts can only regulate their own members thay have no say in what book keepers do, the end user decides which one they want to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

ISAA wrote: »
    Thanks for your input, but I have been in touch with Eammon Ryan about going down the right road, and he was not interested, and he's for the moment, the minister of communications.:mad:

I'm also aware of PL issues, but at the end of the day not to many other trademen work at height,
    and we will allways get the non professional doing the nixers, and some of them are good at there job.

We have to start somewhere and try to give the public a proffesional service. (ISAA)

Many Thanks,

Gerry

You may get more help from the HSA. There doesn't seem to be anything on their site about Aerial/Satellite Dish installers.
    I'm not an installer myself but I agree 100% with your objective. Ultimately, I suppose, the more subscriptions the more affordable insurance will be. It's something that I've taken for granted in the past was, when an installer has called that they have cover. If they fall from a height its going to cost a lot more than a cheap installation. It really should be enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

Any organisation that insists on its members having proper insurance can only be a good thing. Incidentally, does anyone here have any specific examples of uninsured installers causing injuries to themselves or others and the consequences of their actions?
    They can't all be so careful to get away with it and a few "horror stories" are always good to back something up.

Tom Slick wrote: »
    Incidentally, does anyone here have any specific examples of uninsured installers causing injuries to themselves or others and the consequences of their actions?
    They can't all be so careful to get away with it and a few "horror stories" are always good to back something up.

I don't think to many Installers would come forward, to state they drilled throught a water pipe, or power cable, as they are showing themselfs up, if they don't have insurance.

I think they would shut up and pay up.

Regards,

Gerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

I heard a story once about an installer that got sued because apparently he drilled into a kerosene pipe and it leaked into the foundation of the house. I think he had to payout the cost to rebuild the entire house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

I think they would shut up and pay up.

If they could all afford to do that they wouldn't need insurance anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Don't want to be nitpicking, some great work has gone on here with the setting up of the ISAA and the website but I'm sure you want the site to look as professional as possible, and I just want to point out a simple minor error on the home page:

It states

"All Irish Channels Now Available through SaorView Digital Service,
    inc : RTE1,2,TV3,TNG,e3, RTE News 24 "

This should obviously be RTE1,2,TV3,TG4,3e, RTE News Now.

Please don't take this as a criticism, just trying to help.

Many Thanks,

Gerry

NOW CORRECTED

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Look, I warned ye about the bold and underlining. And the bickering.

Carry it own via PM.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

icdg wrote: »
    Look, I warned ye about the bold and underlining. And the bickering.

Carry it own via PM.

I'm reopening this thread on the STRICT condition that people keep away from bold, italic, and underline (it is essentially the Boards equivilant of shouting) and that everyone is curteous to each other and not bickering.

I'll be monitoring this thread daily for bickering and if I see it it will be closed and not reopened and this subject will be considered off the agenda for discussion.

• Advertisement

Many Thanks,

Gerry

All,

ISAA is now advertising with the following directory, http://www.redbook.ie/nationwide.php?subCat=660&coCode=all

We will also be in every redbook throughout Ireland, so if you are with us, then you are also in every county in Ireland, under ISAA, included in your membership fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

icdg wrote: »
    I'm reopening this thread on the STRICT condition that people keep away from bold, italic, and underline (it is essentially the Boards equivilant {equivalent} of shouting) and that everyone is curteous {courteous} to each other and not bickering.
    You are mistaken. Underlining, bold and italics are normal, accepted ways of providing emphasis or of highlighting errors in text.

See http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/italics.htm
    and http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/department/docs/punctuation/node27.html

(There are thousands of explanatory pages like this on the Internet.)

However, typing in CAPITALS represents "shouting" and is generally regarded as rude and sometimes unacceptable if used excessively. Having said that, many "newbies" don't realise it and have never used a keyboard so some slack must be allowed while they learn to type.

(Doesn't this forum incorporate a spell checker?)

Whats the bickering thats being referred to, thought it was a robust debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My firefox has a British English Dictionary. Now when you go to download Firefox your geographic location is assumed from your IP address and you are offered Firefox with British English Spelling checker.

Right click in a text field and select spelling.

It can't help with misuse of it's (always It Is and never ownership) or There / Their you're (you are) and your

The British English can be added to US default Firefox and made default.

US download (you need to add real English after) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html

British (proper English) version download http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.12&os=win&lang=en-GB
    via http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

Whats the bickering thats being referred to, thought it was a robust debate?

Agreed. I didn't see any bickering, nor did I see any pre warning about it.

All,

We now have a number of new members in Kerry, and Dublin.:)

regards,

Gerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Are the new members added to the site straight away?

12 element wrote: »
    Are the new members added to the site straight away?

Once we receive there PL proof and there details, we then update the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Hi Gerry,

Can you suggest brokers/insurance companies that supply pl insurance specfically for satellite/aerial installers?

Are ISAA trying to get some sort of group insurance rate for members?]

What companies do other installers use, ours up for renewal so looking at all options.

thanks
    s

• Advertisement

s_gr wrote: »
    Hi Gerry,

Can you suggest brokers/insurance companies that supply pl insurance specfically for satellite/aerial installers?

Are ISAA trying to get some sort of group insurance rate for members?]

What companies do other installers use, ours up for renewal so looking at all options.

thanks
    s

I,m in discussions with a few insurance companies at this time, and will know next week.
    I will give you a buzz then, PM me your number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

ISAA training courses will be taking place towards the end of Febuary,
    details of pricing, location, & course contents will be available within the next few days here,

http://www.isaa.tv/news.htm

anyone interested in the course please contact us here,

http://www.isaa.tv/contact.htm

All,

I'm pleased to announce that our first training course is taken place on the 21-22 of Feb 2011, at the North City Hotel
    Any parties interested contact me at gerryw@isaa.tv.

A schedule we be placed on our site this week. www.isaa.tv
    Regards,

Gerry

All,

Our Training schedule is now on the News section on the ISAA web site.

Any interested parties can contact me : gerryw@isaa.tv

Regards,

Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

I,m in discussions with a few insurance companies at this time, and will know next week.
    I will give you a buzz then, PM me your number.

Hi, gerry, Did you get on with sorting out some kind of insurance rates for installers, I got pl myself but found out last week that it's a bit pricey compared to another quote that iv got from another company,

At present im paying just under 100 per month, and with another company creane in enniscorthy quoted me just under 90, and thats paid off in 6 months, so im seriously thinking of canceling my current one and going with these guys, Ok in fairness the old policy wouldnt be as comprehensive as the newer quote but it's a new drill or go towards a new meter etc,

By the way im in no way pimping the above insurer it's just the other half had another policy with them and we got talking,

Can people post their insurance quotes here and name insurers ? is it allowed

Premier wrote: »

Can people post their insurance quotes here and name insurers ? is it allowed

That would be pretty useful I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sat cw

That would be pretty useful I reckon

If you contact [EMAIL="Gerry@ISSA"]Gerry@ISSA[/EMAIL] he has a very competitive rates for members.

Gerry is selling insurance now ?

sat cw wrote: »
    If you contact [EMAIL="Gerry@ISSA"]Gerry@ISSA[/EMAIL] he has a very competitive rates for members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sat cw

Didn't say that!

He can recommend a company for competitive quotes

• Advertisement

No lads, not selling Insurance, but I have an Insurance company doing a very good price, for ISAA members.

One of our existing members has already take the offer, and is saving a few hundred quid.:)

sat cw wrote: »
    Didn't say that!

Sure looked like it. I'm sure Gerry can make this info known in any case.

Edit: as he has just done :)

Can you email or Pm details to me please Gerry

I have an Insurance company doing a very good price, for ISAA members.

All,

The deal which I've done with the Insurance company is for ISAA members ONLY :

Why ?

Because,

We can prove they comply with our (ISAA) standards,

H&S,
    Proper training,
    etc.

This is very important to us, (ISAA)

Regards,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

No lads, not selling Insurance, but I have an Insurance company doing a very good price, for ISAA members.

One of our existing members has already take the offer, and is saving a few hundred quid.:)

Il have a chat with you about that , mine is up for renewal this month .

Il have a chat with you about that , mine is up for renewal this month .

No problem :

Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

latest news here,

http://www.isaa.tv/news.htm

All,

Just to confirm to all coming to our training course on Monday, We will be starting at 10:30, with speakers coming from after lunch.

All interested parties are welcome to come for a chat, to discuss any issues they may have, and we will have information for all parties who want to join, the ONLY IRISH SATELLITE & AERIAL ASSOCIATION in Ireland. :)

Information on web site.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

All,

We now have a number of new members in Kerry, and Dublin.:)

regards,

Gerry

Hi gerry, how many members can you envisage isaa attracting?, you obviously cant limit the amount of members per county.What are you charging for membership per year ? and is there a threshold were when you get a certain amount of members the cost of membership will go down each year as more members sign up?

Regards

scruffy66 wrote: »
    Hi gerry, how many members can you envisage isaa attracting?, you obviously cant limit the amount of members per county.What are you charging for membership per year ? and is there a threshold were when you get a certain amount of members the cost of membership will go down each year as more members sign up?

Regards

Scruffy,

If you drop into us on Monday or Tuesday, I would be glad to discuss any questions which you have.

In relation to price going down, We will worry about that when we get to that issue, but if we end up with plenty of members, that means a lot more work, ie : QC, and dealing with new technology, for keeping members up to date with our New News letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ridgesat

All,

Just to confirm to all coming to our training course on Monday, We will be starting at 10:30, with speakers coming from after lunch.

All interested parties are welcome to come for a chat, to discuss any issues they may have, and we will have information for all parties who want to join, the ONLY IRISH SATELLITE & AERIAL ASSOCIATION in Ireland. :)

Information on web site.

Regards,

Is there a fee to pay ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement