Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing from USA?

• 01-11-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

I've found a nice "close out" deal on a frame from a Specialized shop in the US. If I get them to post it to me here what taxes/duties am I likely to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

RPL1 wrote: »
    I've found a nice "close out" deal on a frame from a Specialized shop in the US. If I get them to post it to me here what taxes/duties am I likely to pay?

many dealers simply refuse to post outside a particular area, as they have a licence only for that area. You may avoid local sales tax (usually state taxes wouldn't apply if the item is shipped outside the state) but you would be liable fo VAT AFAIK
    If you can get a mate to pick it up it might be different as then it would be second/hand /personal effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

RPL1 wrote: »

searchy searchy clicky clicky

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

4.7% Duty (on frame) plus 21% VAT (and any admin charges the Couriers charge)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you can get a mate to pick it up it might be different as then it would be second/hand /personal effect

No it wouldn't - duty and VAT would still be due on the import

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Beasty wrote: »

Thanks Beasty .... succinct and to the point!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

#

according to the EU taxatin website below, the correct duty would be 14%, see transaction # 8712003000

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

So after import, price would be 100% * 1.14 * 1.21 = 38% price hike :eek:

brian1976 wrote: »
    #

according to the EU taxatin website below, the correct duty would be 14%, see transaction # 8712003000

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

So after import, price would be 100% * 1.14 * 1.21 = 38% price hike :eek:
    14% is for complete bikes - frames are 4.7%
    (reference 8714 91 10)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Bear in mind too that you pay customs duty and VAT on the combined total of the purchase cost plus delivery cost. As delivery from the US can be expensive, having to pay duty and VAT on that portion too can add significantly to the overall cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

14% is for complete bikes - frames are 4.7%
    (reference 8714 91 10)

I got to the 14% too, and got sidetracked with the "without ball bearings" ref (8712 00 10 90) which is an interesting concept when applied to full bikes, especially as unicycle is a separate category :)

Advertisement