Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite part of Christmas?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

The night of Christmas Eve for me! Watching a Christmas movie or just the general banter :)

Or going into town to see all the stalls and markets and decorations, always feels magical :cool: With a nice mince pie!

So what's your favourite part??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Mine is going down to the hardware store in Nolans Supermarket on the Northside and looking at all the train sets, villages and santas they have.

Used to love cycling (Drive now) down everyday after school from November 1st onwards and waiting for them to open it up.

I'm 23 and still go every year with my brother (24). :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Sitting around the breakfast table with my family and enjoying the chats, and pleasure they get from the pressies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Watching the Father Ted Xmas special on RTE 2 with the family :D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Celebrating the birth of the baby Jesus :p

The dinner and the beer all the way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

When it's over! Bah Humbug and all that palava! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

The dinner! :D Om nom nom.. I love stuffing and gravy, so I do! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

Have to say I'm a Big Lover of all things Christmas - but would have to say I really love the first night the Christmas Tree. I put the kids to bed , send the Hubby to Attic to get all the Decorations then send him off to the pub and get going. I usually have it all done in a couple of hours - then do a quick whizz round with the Hoover and sit down with a bevvy and look around lovingly at the room whilst watching the end of the X-Factor.

Ah the simple pleasures - wait a minute - Am I sad?????:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

Christmas Eve! Its when the atmosphere catches up with everyone. The excitement around the house with the kids, the movies on tv, everyones in good form, lovely smells from the kitchen, lovely food in the house, visitors coming and going, love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Can I be greedy and choose more than one!?

- Christmas Eve, coming up to midnight and after midnight when it's technically Christmas day.

- Getting the decorations and putting up the tree....and when the only illumination in the room comes from the 200 or so little twinkly lights.

- Wrapping the gifts, while Wham! is on the radio.

- Watching Die Hard or Christmas Vacation...etc!

- The dinner...man, I love the dinner.

- Opening a selection box (I'm nearly 30!)

- Watching Christmas specials of my favourite programmes like Father Ted and Only Fools!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The food! Christmas dinner and loads of sweets and chocolate and biscuits.

I love giving presents too, you know when you find someone the perfect present that you know they will love. I can't wait to see their reaction when I give it to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I suppose it's hanging my mams pic on the Christmas tree.

She died some years back and of course every Christmas was a downer after that.

Then I saw the Newbridge Silver Christmas collection in the local jewellers and came across a lovely silver Christmas Wreath tree decoration.

I bought it, brought it home, cut out a happy pic of mam and placed it in the Wreath.

I have happily placed it on my Christmas Tree ever since, and every time it catches my eye she is still with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

has to be christmas eve about 6 p.m. when everything is done and people have finished their shopping and running around - having a couple of drinks and stealing some of the Christmas hang. The atmosphere is great - much better than Christmas day which can be quite boring and long.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

Christmas Eve is my favourite day of the year - it is so magical. The Children (an I) are so excited about Santa coming, going into town to get a last minute whiff of the atmosphere - everybody is in such good form. Calling to in-laws and family where spirits are high. Going home go begin preparations for Christmas dinner and watching a good movie before heading out to late mass with kids (where O Holy Night is sung). I do think that Christmas Eve is the best day of Christmas - there is an anti-climax once dinner is over on Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Like most people here i love Christmas Eve also! Myself and my parents traditionally go out to one of the shopping centres where my mum would buy a number of turkeys in Dunnes for half price and then freeze them (haha!). Then we visit friends of my mum and as we head home it is getting dark outside and all the christmas lights begin to come on and the roads are getting quieter - i love this part cos i love thinking of everybody at home with their families etc -gives me a lovely warm feeling! Christmas Eve is so magical!:D And of course Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea is playing on the radio!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Usually my favourite part is the lead up... but I think the Budget might put a dampener on it this year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Seeing my kids faces light up with delight as they see all the presents santa brought.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭azwethinkweiz

I love when a song like Driving home for Christmas comes on the radio on the way home from work & you can see all the lights & trees in peoples houses & it just makes you smile. I love winter and wrapping up all cosy. Love taking 1-2 weeks off work and relaxing with my family. Love the shopping and getting everyone a nice pressie. I just love Christmas, I usually get the "Christmassy feeling" first when i see that Coca Cola ad on TV lol... "Holidays are comin'... holidays are comin'..."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Love when it's about 3 or 4 days till christmas, walking around dublin city centre and watching people frantically looking for presents. Tops it off if your wearing a nice coat, it's just getting dark, carols are being heard somewhere and you've a nice girl on your arm.

Just love the buzz when people are panicking :) usually coz I'm organised :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Stephens Day
    Dinner is already cooked from the day before
    Pressies are unwrapped and paper in the bin so we can find everything
    No callers
    Just peace and quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Stephens Day
    Dinner is already cooked from the day before
    Pressies are unwrapped and paper in the bin so we can find everything
    No callers
    Just peace and quiet

yes, peace and quiet, chocolate roses or selection box right after breakfast while watching christmas film on the box in your PJ's with a blazing fire and it blowing a gale outside. Front door securly locked and bolted - wine chillin in the fridge. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I love seeing all the lights and decorations around the place, it always gives me that happy Christmas feeling :)
    Oh, and putting up the tree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Christmas Eve:
    That evening I love having warm mulled wine with a mince pie, sitting on the couch watching a Christmas film or TV special with only the Christmas tree lights lighting the room. Knowing that the next day there'll be presents, fantastic dinner, family (wife and baby, not going back home to Ireland this year) and the whole of the Christmas holidays still to come. :) Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

I love Christmas day its just the one day of the year where I feel my most relaxed everything is done and sorted just sitting there enjoying my gifts watching the crappy films on the tv.

Christmas was always huge when I live at home 7 kids living at home, as well as nephew and nieces would come up that day too, it always felt magical to me. Santa was visiting my mams house up till last year I had him for 20 years it was amazing and I loved it, excitement leading up to it every year was crazy!

Sad last year was first year I was living out of home and while it was still magical with my partner, nothing will beat christmas in my moms :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Eek! I love EVERYTHING about it!

Making the Christmas pudding each year for the family.
    I love shopping and hearing all the Christmas songs.
    Listening to Christmas music on my MP3.
    Seeing the lights on Grafton Street go up, yippie!
    Argos Christmas catalogue. (I get VERY excited.)
    Buying pressies.
    Wrapping presents- bows, ribbons, tags!
    Putting up my Christmas tree and decorations at home.
    Seeing loads of bright wrapped gifts under the tree.
    Going to the Christmas market on the quays.
    My work Christmas party, yay!
    'Holidays are Coming' Coke ad. I get very giddy each time I see it.
    Christmas eve- it's such a lovely day! My favourite day around Christmas.
    Watching Christmas films, especially 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.'
    Christmas dinner- turkey, ham, wine, sweets, selection boxes, trifle and much much more!

LOVE IT ALL! :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

For me it's christmas eve then cooking the dinner christmas day.Im male by the way but i cook the dinner every year and I do a savage ham with cloves and honey ,then the most tender turkey ever.(just cook it upside down on it's breast for the first half of the time your cooking it ,all the juices run into the breast area) feckin' love it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

I suppose it's hanging my mams pic on the Christmas tree.

She died some years back and of course every Christmas was a downer after that.

Then I saw the Newbridge Silver Christmas collection in the local jewellers and came across a lovely silver Christmas Wreath tree decoration.

I bought it, brought it home, cut out a happy pic of mam and placed it in the Wreath.

I have happily placed it on my Christmas Tree ever since, and every time it catches my eye she is still with me.

that's lovely :)

I love, love, love Christmas songs..... nothing like shopping in the evenings, Christmas songs playing... and even better, choirs singing carols around the city. I'm not particularly religious, but I love Christmas carols.

and this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ymlnxMZkXA
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I love the few days leading up to Christmas - there's just such a lovely atmosphere everywhere. Even if it's freezing cold outside, walking around the streets makes me feel all warm and smiley at that time of year <3

This forum is making me get VERY excited about Christmas, eek! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Posy wrote: »
    This forum is making me get VERY excited about Christmas, eek! :D

HAHA you're so funny!:D I'm the same - i'm a christmas fruit cake!

• Advertisement

I actually jumped for joy when the Argos Christmas catalogue was advertised on TV.
    And a couple of days later when I inadvertently wandered into the Dunnes Christmas section, which I didn't even know was open yet, I shrieked loudly with excitement. I'm an embarrassment to be around between Mid October to late December! :o

Advertisement