Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless for public use in business?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Hi, my family have a small business. We have eircom bb connected (wired to the PC) but if I want to let customers use it on the premises is it possible?

Can i set up a custom network name and password through 192.168.1.254 ? Also can i change this password periodically? I can tell customers the password whenever they then want to connect?

Just turned back on wireless and it's set to WPA - PSK & WPA v1 and v2

I have a wireless SSID eg eircom1234 1234

and a preshared key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What can i change? What do i need to change?

Also should WPS be turned on?

Much obliged to anyone who takes time to answer.

PS it's a a motorola router that eircom gave me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You can change the SSID if you wish. Change the pre shared key on a regular basis.

Although it's more work you could have a 'private key' which you set it to outside of business hours and a 'public key' you set it to during business hours and which you give to your customers but change periodically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Thanks.

I've been fiddling around with the router.
    I've setup two SSIDs. one public and one private.
    the public is ssid 1
    the private is ssid 2 ( was only able to find this after typing in it's name in "connect to other networks")

are these secure enough?

should i change the passkey on the private one regularly too?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

As long as you are using WPA and your private key is long and is not made up entirely of dictionary words it should be reasonably secure.

It would probably be more secure if the key you are giving out to customers was in different format to your private one to make it harder to guess your private one.

e,g, you could use a phrases or lines from songs for the public ones but always use a random string for your private one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Any easy way to restrict what sort of content they can access through their device?

Can I apply restrictions at the router?

Also I see people here can check what devices are connected to their router. How do I do this?

Thanks again!

Advertisement