Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect

• 01-11-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

hi i would love to get few peoples opinion on what i should do. Have an architect. He did up our first set of plans. There was not one thing in it that we asked for so i told him he would have to start again as it wasnt what we wanted, He now has done up our second set of plans and when we were going through them we noticed some of his measurements were wrong. Say on his plan he has them down as say 8 when in fact is is only 7.5. This is the story with a few rooms. He has came higly recomended but it just feels like he thinks this is a quick buck so he is rushing it. I am unsure as to what to say to him the next time we meet up. Some of the sizes he has made the rooms as well you wouldnt swing a cat in them. What should we say the next time we meet to discuss plans. He has done a number of houses for people we know so he isnt a cowboy or anything

Any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

You need to have a chat to him and ask him what he is playing at, perhaps there's good reason for it. Ask him to explain why he hasn't followed your brief. One of the first things any architect should do is meet with the client, visit the site and establish/agree a brief. If he is not carrying out this basic function, warning lights should be flashing. Remember, if you are building a house for yourself, it will probably be the biggest venture and the biggest expense in your lifetime, and you'll have to live in the house, long after the architect has left the scene.

If he doesn't check out .............. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I must say its unusual for someone not to get anything on the brief right without some fairly serious reasons, I would have a good talk with them, ask them to explain why nothing is as you have asked. It can happen they are restricted by local area design guides (one off rural houses for eg) and may know that what you have described to them as bieng what you waqnt may not be achievable in your location but if this is the case they should be telling you this from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭oraiste

Are you sure he is a qualified architect or architectural technican?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

Sounds like an architect alright, id say he is trying to fob you off with a previous house plan he did some where else. Write a letter back regarding the last set of plans you got, be blunt about what you think, then there is a paper trail and no room for misinterperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭zelemon

Have you checked the register? I can't see how a registered Architect could behave this way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

zelemon wrote: »
    Have you checked the register? I can't see how a registered Architect could behave this way!
    I'm sorry, I can't let this go without comment....

Are you saying that if an architect is on the register then they are beyond reproach? and conversely if one is not on the register, then they are not worth bothering with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭zelemon

I think the register helps to promote accounataility, memebers have to adhere to a code of conduct & this is in the publics interest, I have not said that those operating outside it are not less able.
    I would be interested to know if the person is on the register or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are supposed to adhere to a code, obviiously some breach it from time to time.
    I can't see how you find it unbelievable that a regiatered architect mgiht do this?

I still agree that his qualifications should be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭mrm

jonnyj wrote: »
    Sounds like an architect alright, id say he is trying to fob you off with a previous house plan he did some where else. .

Nope, it actually sounds more like an architectural technologist or engineer who does not have the formal education or capabilities to design correctly to an architectural design brief but carries on like they do! The rest of your sentence bears no relevance to the info provided by the OP - though I am glad for the OP that the architect had a second set of (previously designed) house plans at the ready.;)

To the OP, your post does nothing to communicate the reason why you have a problem with your architects initial proposals.

Any suggestions? Yes, start to communicate correctly. The same applies to the architect too. Prepare a written brief together. Sit down over the initial design proposal and discuss it together- reasons why the architect deviated from the brief and what can/ cannot be accommodated/ achieved. Does a happy medium need to be achieved ? Is the architect attempting to force an unwanted design style on your tastes? Have you asked the architect to provide for a list of large rooms in a restricted total floor area? Have you clearly communicated your cat swinging fetish and provided info on desired cat sizes? This process should be open and mutual - have you both facilitated for this through open communication?

For your next meeting I think that you should express your concerns clearly to the architect. Then let them fully explain the proposal and the reasons for the design decisions that deviate from your understanding of the brief. If you are still not satisfied, you have a set of plans in front of you from which you can illustrate to, and instruct, the architect to design to your explicit requests. The architect should have little issue with accommodating your wishes provided all meets with proper planning and development/ building control etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mrm wrote: »
    Nope, it actually sounds more like an architectural technologist or engineer who does not have the formal education or capabilities

Can [everyone stop with the snobby and elitest generalisations regarding professions.

And mrm, An architectural technologist has formal education so less of those kinds of comments also
    (I know an engineer has also, but not in the area discussed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I am sorry to hear about the situation that you find yourselves in. Unfortunately there was obviously a breakdown in communications somewhere along the line. There may be a valid reason why your architect has strayed away from your original brief, and it may just be laziness but without hearing both sides of the story it is very hard to give advice.

I have had difficult clients in the past where my proposals were not viewed very well, one couple in particular comes to mind. The husband wanted a small traditional bungalow built to the minimum standard for as little as possible while the wife wanted buckingham palace, unfortunately every necessary compromise that was made was bound to upset one of them. I left every meeting with a written brief of the agreed alterations only to arrive at the next meeting to find that they had changed their minds again.

I think it is a bit irresponsible and unprofessional to start slating each others qualifications without knowing all the facts.

Advertisement