Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Continental round socket extension leads

Options
  • 01-11-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I have 2 people from germany living with me and we are looking to buy extension leads that have the german connections (2 round pin). has any one ever seen these for sale in Cork city?

We've tried Komplett and Maplin already online as well as Kellehers Electrical and O Dwyer Ellectrical bricks and mortar stores.

Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

You could try Phil O'Sullivan Electrical Ltd, they used to advertise the continental adapters but not sure if they sell extension leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I'd say there's as much chance of getting them here as there is of getting four way square pin extensions in Germany; i.e. None. Why not look online from a German online supplier (There're loads to choose - P&P is frequently a tenner flat rate though - or maybe they can get someone to post 'em over from Germany)? I may have an Italian one spare (if I haven't thrown out), if you're interested (It's pretty much the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm sure I'm not following, but why not use a regular irish extension lead, with a suitable adapter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Probably because they have German appliances/plugs? I had that very same problem abroad - Easiest solution was to bring extensions with me and change the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Just bring the German extension lead and use one adapter at the business end to fit into Irish socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Cheers for the replies so far lads/ladies, much appreciated, we have 2 adapters between 3 plugs :( so far.

The two lads are German erasmus students so they wouldn't have been in Ireland before and wouldn't have thought of bringing an extension lead from home with them.

The plan is to get a continental extension lead and put an Irish plug on the end rather than use lots fo adapters - they have about 3-4 plugs each.

Any of the online suppliers we tried on ebay.de only had 1.5m long leads, we'd need 3m leads and I don't want to join wires, I'd rather have one lead for safety. If i have to I can get 3m of lead as welll as a plug but I need to be able to look at the extension to see if I can unscrew the existing lead to replace it with a 3m lead - hence I need to be able to see it before i buy.

Mukodon - I'll try Phil O Sullivan later on this week, thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

http://shop.ebay.de/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=steckerleiste&_sacat=See-All-Categories
    PLenty of those available on ebay.de.
    You will have to ask for international shipping as Germans don't tend to add this as a matter of course but many will ship if asked nicely :P Get your students to tell how to ask in German ...

This one has a 5m lead for instance
    http://cgi.ebay.de/Mehrfachsteckdose-Steckerleiste-Steckdose-4er-16A-5m-/280567161867?pt=Elektroversorgungen&hash=item41531b240b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I was passing O Dwyers Electrical earlier and went in. They have those adapters for the slim 2 pin continental plugs you often get from Komplett for 1.50 so I'm going to buy a couple of those once I know how many slimline plugs the lads have. picture

There is also a round pin socket that I can wire a lead into that can be combined with a 3-way extension they have for sale there.

I reckon I can get enough for the two lads bought and wired for under 15 euro whereas ebay would cost 30 euro just for one.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies

Shane

Advertisement