Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth ? Light fitting ikea

Options
  • 01-11-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Hi all

Quick question. I just bough a light fitting from ikea for my bathroom. There us no earth on the fitting yet the is an earth wire at the point innmy ceiling. Should I just close off the earth? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

potsy11 wrote: »
    Hi all

Quick question. I just bough a light fitting from ikea for my bathroom. There us no earth on the fitting yet the is an earth wire at the point innmy ceiling. Should I just close off the earth? Any suggestions?

Is there an Double insulated sign on the fitting or in the instructions sheet? Ie It will be a small symbol, 2 boxes, one inside the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

fig7.jpg

If it has this, you dont need the earth on it. It should also be on the cardboard box that it came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

Kippure wrote: »
    Is there an Double insulated sign on the fitting or in the instructions sheet? Ie It will be a small symbol, 2 boxes, one inside the other.

Yes. There is a double box on the fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

Davy wrote: »
    fig7.jpg

If it has this, you dont need the earth on it. It should also be on the cardboard box that it came in.

Is it ok to tape/close off the earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Just make sure there is only one earth wire in the ceiling point. There could be 2 which would need to be connected together.
    Then you can just put it in a single connector and leave there where it can be used in future if required for a different fitting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement