Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how should i go about LC as an external candidate

Options
  • 01-11-2010 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

i need 5 passes one to be a science

any idea which subjects i should do its been ten years since i done 5 year constuction and engineering, mathes,geography,biology, english would like to do onemore any advice would help me thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved from LC.

Medicfar, you're more likely to find people here who are or have been in the same situation, and might offer advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

medicfar wrote: »
    The relevant information is on the website of the State Examinations Commission:
    http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec
    Contact the "entries" section if there's anything there you're not sure of.
    medicfar wrote: »
    any idea which subjects i should do its been ten years since i done 5 year constuction and engineering, mathes,geography,biology, english would like to do onemore any advice would help me thanks

I think it would be very hard for anyone else to tell you what subjects to do. Apart from fulfilling the requirements you need for whatever you want to do afterwards, the only advice I could offer is that you should do the subjects that interest you the most.

Are you planning on studying all these on your own, or going to classes? It'll be a challenge to do it all on your own. If you go to classes, the school or college you go to should be able to help you regarding entry as well.

If you're planning on doing Construction Studies and/or Engineering, as I think you're suggesting, you'll have to have some kind of arrangement with a school or college - either to study those subjects there or some other arrangement for managing your practical work. These subjects both have projects that have to be completed under the supervision of the school. It's not just a matter of getting something signed - the school has to certify that it's your own work and that you did it under their supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

You should consider the fact that Geography (and possibly Engineering?) includes a project which needs to be signed off by a teacher. Also consider that the English course (if you're doing HL) is extremely long!
    A nice short subject that a lot of students do outside school is Economics. Be sure to get the 'Rapid Revision' book though, it contains all of the information minus about €20 and loooooads of extra waffle!
    Anyways, best of luck, I don't think I could do 6 subjects by myself without the motivation from the school.

OH and also, if getting a teacher to sign off your geography project IS a possibility for you, you might want to consider doing Agricultural Science instead of Biology, as Biology can be confusing, unless you know what it's about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Of the sciences Biology is most likely the easiest one at that level, physics and chemistry can seem intimidating if you've no background in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

Biology is good and you can throw agscience in with it as there is alot of crossover...especially if you grew up on a farm...its a nice one to do well in... 25% for a project so you need to find a friendly ag science teacher who will sort this for you or ring around to the grind schools.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

If you've done 5 years of construction and engineering you should probably attempt these also... again, theres alot of project work involved which takes alot of pressure off if you make a good attempt at it

Advertisement