Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam? (AIB)

Options
  • 01-11-2010 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I haven't had an account with AIB in about 5 years now. They sent a letter to my mother's house with the gist of it being:

We've done some checking on this account (includes an account number, but I couldn't tell you what my account number was) and we made an error in overcharging you. We owe you 20 euro but after DIRT tax, it is 15 euro (approx. numbers) Please phone us one the following numbers and provide us with an Irish-based euro account so we can deposit this amount.

Seems to me if it was some kind of scam, the amount owed would be much bigger than 15 quid in order to entice me to give them my details. On the other hand, why would they solely need an Irish based account? Why couldn't they just provide a cheque? The big one is I googled the phone numbers and nothing is showing up for them - 0818 464 010 and (01) 771 5542.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yes.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Sounds a bit sketch alright. If you're near an AIB branch, you could pop in with it and see what they say. Worst case scenario, they confirm it's a scam, best case scenario you come out €15 richer. Just make sure that if anyone's ringing the department that it's supposedly from, that they verify the phone number.

Banks do have departments that look after charges and refunds and they have often reviewed accounts to find customers were overcharged, I got something like €3 back a couple of years ago, but I was never asked to phone anyone. I'd advise against giving your account number out over the phone to some random number, but if you go into a branch and get them to contact their department on your behalf, then I'd be happy to give them the number.

EDIT: Just noticed your location, could you ring your account holding branch and ask? Or if your Mum's near a branch could she call in on your behalf? You'd probably have to send over a little note for her to bring in, saying that you allow them to discuss the account with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Exit wrote: »
    The big one is I googled the phone numbers and nothing is showing up for them - 0818 464 010 and (01) 771 5542.
    The first one, 0818, and I got this: http://www.in2tel.ie/0818.html

Neither come up as AIB, so yup, I'd say it's a scam. Before replying to them, consider reading www.419baiter.com :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Thanks for the help folks :) I'll probably give the branch a call tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If it was real, they'd just send a cheque with the explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

i got a similar letter but they said they would lodge it to my account , over charging for telephone banking , never asked to contact them but seeing as u are not a current customer maybe that is why. instead ringing that number just ring your local branch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Exit wrote: »
    The big one is I googled the phone numbers and nothing is showing up for them - 0818 464 010 and (01) 771 5542.

I would give those details to the Gardai (or whoever deals with this kind of fraud), you were lucky that becuase you didnt have an AIB account it set off alarm bells, but others won't be so lucky and will fall for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Beware, sounds like a scam!

Ring the bank to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

My other hallf got the same letter but was owed €11 or something like that.

It looked legit to me, especially as they give you an envelope (with prepaid post) addressed to the bank center in Ballsbridge..

If you are that worried, maybe ring the number and see what they say..?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've received similar letters over the years. Most recent was from AIB refunding an overcharge on the mortgage.

I suggest that you write back and ask them to send a cheque . Pisses them off and costs them a wee bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Received similar letter last week from the Bankcentre in Ballsbridge. It explained the refund and attached a DIRT certificate. The interest was paid into my account few days prior. Seems valid to me.

Regarding the 0818 numbers, as far as i know AIB does operate its Relationship Managers and Customer Service from that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

I know somebody else who got a similar letter I think its legit alright. The problem is when you no longer have an account with them they have to work off their historic records-you may no longer live at the last known address they have for you so to send a cheque to that address may result in you not getting the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Dont think its a scam, the 771 number is for bank centre in Ballsbridge. Give them a ring.

Advertisement