Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Education Not Emigration March Nov 3rd

Comments

I wont be going. It wont make a difference...!!

If the government decide to put reg fees upto €3000, they will, they dont care about protests!

Typical government, attack the people who are already struggling...

In the long run it will cost the country more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Dissenter

Good to see the Students' Union in ITB supporting the protests. This is a large step forward from last year's SU who supported cuts to classes etc. and sided with management when the Lecturers took action.

Keep it up folks!:)

I wont be going. It wont make a difference...!!

If the government decide to put reg fees upto €3000, they will, they dont care about protests!

Typical government, attack the people who are already struggling...

In the long run it will cost the country more.

My gut feeling is that the 3k fee is a red herring and is their usual reverse psychology. They 'leak' the 3k figure so everyone is happier to accept a figure of 2.5k. Don't accept it people! We already pay for the education system through our taxes. Education is not a luxury. Any increase in fees is another tax on us to pay to save the bondholders like Abramovich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

Dissenter wrote: »
    My gut feeling is that the 3k fee is a red herring and is their usual reverse psychology. They 'leak' the 3k figure so everyone is happier to accept a figure of 2.5k. Don't accept it people! We already pay for the education system through our taxes. Education is not a luxury. Any increase in fees is another tax on us to pay to save the bondholders like Abramovich!

Totally Agree !! I hope someone shouts CHAAAAAARRRRRRRGE at the gates of the Dail tomorrow and we hold a coup d'etate [sic] :)

Fair play to everyone who marched, and especially well done to those who staged the (peaceful) sit in protest at the Dept of Education. The reaction of the Fianna Fáil gardai in their violent attacks, smashing people over the head with the iron batons, knocking people unconscious, pulling people around by the hair, smashing people in the face and charging the protesters, shows exactly how much respect the government has for students, and the general population.

The reaction of Gary redmond, the USI president, is an absolute disgrace. He's obviously there for the career move rather than because he's the leader of a UNION!!!
    Some footage below...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPnoAY1wXfI

Keep it up! We need more direct action! Hopefully the rest of the passive population will follow stop the golden circle riding them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

What did Gary Redmond actually do I've no idea? I've heard people are annoyed but havn't seen or read anything about it so far.

Garda were bad, went overboard, though the "protesters" wern't exactly innocent now were they. Some were being right twats so I hear.

Thing I loved about the charging, if people just sat down the horses would of gone around them, it's instinct for them apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Drodan wrote: »
    What did Gary Redmond actually do I've no idea? I've heard people are annoyed but havn't seen or read anything about it so far.

Garda were bad, went overboard, though the "protesters" wern't exactly innocent now were they. Some were being right twats so I hear.

Thing I loved about the charging, if people just sat down the horses would of gone around them, it's instinct for them apparently.

A lot of the 'protesters' were indeed not innocent, however I was there most of the day, and it was SF and the SWP at the back throwing stuff, causing trouble and being right twats altogether, which has made me lose all respect for both parties, especially after one of their...ringleaders...offer'd to sell me some speed :rolleyes:. Also there was a good few inner city folks that tagged along just for the violence The poor folks at the front outside the finance offices got the brunt of it as the garda had to move through them to get the lads at the back, and then just decided to quite heavy handedly move everyone.

I think I saw a member of DITSU in a hi-vis vest trying to ask people to move away from the riot cops, only to be smashed on the head and dragged off :(...for what purpose I've no idea :confused:

I do think that the garda went wayyy overboard. And when you have a huge draght horse running at you, you don't really think of sitting down, especially when there're lads with shields and batons shouting and running behind them :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Haha fair point alright, I'd be more worried about the culchies with sticks than the horses.

What was the USI reaction though dya know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Drodan wrote: »
    Haha fair point alright, I'd be more worried about the culchies with sticks than the horses.

What was the USI reaction though dya know?
    Union President Gary Redmond said the Union was saddened at the actions of what he described as a ‘small minority’ of students who forced a confrontation which involved mounted Gardaí, armoured vehicles, and even police dogs

More here, and here

I don't think much of him. There's an article about him in The Phoenix 'young bloods' section, with a small bio of how he became president for anyone who's interested....or indeed reads The Phoenix :)

Advertisement