Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottled smithwhicks

Options
  • 01-11-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

Hey does anyone know where you can get pint bottles of smithwhicks in pubs in Dublin city or Dublin county North. Same question for off licenses? Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Never seen it. Which is a shame: I think it's much better than bottled Macardle's.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

The Thomas House on Thomas st. has them behind the bar and another pub,cant recall the name, on Francis Street also stocks 'em. Haven't seen them in any off licence though.

Also, ditto on the macardles..If your lookin for some bottled ales,head to Bowe's on fleet street,they have a nice selection,beer of the month at the moment is O' Hara's red bottled,very very tasty and at €4 is a freakin steal!!:eek:

Just an update on the bottled smithwicks.Was in Spar on Thomas street yesterday and seen they had a good quantity of pint bottles in the fridge,picked one up but haven't drank it yet.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rollout

This time last year myself and my house mate went on a big pint bottle of Smitwicks phase.

You can get them in Mulligans off Pearse St.

If you ask in an Off-licence they'd probably order them in for you. The Fairview Strand off-licence did for us last year several occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

had some in a can recently from a mate, was awful, could the bottle be much better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

had some in a can recently from a mate, was awful, could the bottle be much better?

Yes. From a bottle it is quite a pleasant, easy-drinking Irish style red ale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Sergeant wrote: »
    Yes. From a bottle it is quite a pleasant, easy-drinking Irish style red ale.

Does it have any more taste? I find it pretty much tasteless on draught or can.

In fact, would the beer world be any worse off if the whole Irish red stlye disappeared forever ?

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    would the beer world be any worse off if the whole Irish red stlye disappeared forever ?
    Some breweries are propped up by it. It has been the consistent best seller for Messrs Maguire / White Gypsy for years. I like the way Carlow, for instance, have been expanding their range beyond the traditional black-red-yellow trinity, but removing the red would be a retrograde, anti-choice, step.

If you don't like it, don't drink it.

BeerNut wrote: »

I'm not calling for heads or starting a campaign. It's just an observation that it seems to excel in meh-ness

• Advertisement

It's just an observation
    It was phrased as a question, though. To which the answer, IMO, is yes.

Some breweries are propped up by it. It has been the consistent best seller for Messrs Maguire / White Gypsy for years. I like the way Carlow, for instance, have been expanding their range beyond the traditional black-red-yellow trinity, but removing the red would be a retrograde, anti-choice, step.

I agree,we don't need any beer retrograde in this country!I think it's great that in the past few years we've seen micro's,i guess for want of a better term, developing the "Irish Red" into a nice beer where as the macro guys have discarded it. ie. Beamish Red, Murphy's Red. Now, I would have gladly in the past had a few pints of Beamish red in the pub but now if I had the choice I would pick any of the micro's over it.If we rid ourselves of the Irish red,what red would I be drinking?

I'm not calling for heads or starting a campaign. It's just an observation that it seems to excel in meh-ness

I don't think it does at all.The O'hara's bottled red is a lovely ale,on tap,even nicer,a lot of taste going on there.

The Aldi traditional Irish ale is also a wonderful bottled ale which I have a real hankering for,would love a pint of that in the pub!

Dungarvan's copper coast is really a wonderful ale, by any standards and I fairly recently had this on cask and loved it.

I could go on but my point is there's definitely no meh-ness with with these...;)

SteeveeDee wrote: »
    If we rid ourselves of the Irish red,what red would I be drinking?

One with some flavour, more like an English bitter. They could still call it Irish. Characteristics of the beer seems to be low bitterness, zero hop or yeast flavour.

One with some flavour, more like an English bitter.
    Like Bass? :p
    Characteristics of the beer seems to be low bitterness, zero hop or yeast flavour.
    There's a nice hop bite to draught O'Hara's Red, I think, and too much bitterness for my liking in Porterhouse Red, at least on draught. But it's a malt-driven style. Hop-driven styles are also available.

Like Bass? :p

Well if I was on a desert island with only Smithwicks or Bass, I'd opt for the .........sea water.

Even Bass is slightly better than Smithwicks.

There's a nice hop bite to draught O'Hara's Red

I must try it on draught.

Well if I was on a desert island with only Smithwicks or Bass, I'd opt for the .........sea water.
    My point was just that Bass is an English bitter. The problem is not one of Irish Red vs. English Bitter; it's Nice Beer vs. Dull Beer.
    Even Bass is slightly better than Smithwicks.
    Have you tried this blind? I found them indistinguishable when I did.

But it's a malt-driven style. Hop-driven styles are also available.

It is indeed a malt driven style and quite sweet.Meant to say this earlier but I have had a good few American Irish reds in the past and have enjoyed them also and some were much hoppier than others.

I have had a good few American Irish reds in the past and have enjoyed them also and some were much hoppier than others.
    Yeah, hops seems to be their usual approach :D Three Floyds Brian Boru is a magnificent beer, for instance, but much more akin to 5am Saint than any actual Irish red.

Under the usual US style guidelines, incidentally, Smithwick's does not fit the profile of Irish Red Ale :rolleyes:

My point was just that Bass is an English bitter. The problem is not one of Irish Red vs. English Bitter; it's Nice Beer vs. Dull Beer.

I agree, even if it doesn't seem that way :)
    Have you tried this blind? I found them indistinguishable when I did.

No I haven't. It may have been a temperature thing that made me think the Bass had more flavour. I've had about 3 pints of draught Smithwicks in my life. The only times I've had Bass is when up north and it was the only non-Lager or Guinness option.

It would be fun to see a similar competition being done with draught Lager. It would be an eye-opener for participants. Apart from Budweiser, I think I'd struggle to tell them apart.

• Advertisement

Yeah, hops seems to be their usual approach :D Three Floyds Brian Boru is a magnificent beer, for instance, but much more akin to 5am Saint than any actual Irish red.

Under the usual US style guidelines, incidentally, Smithwick's does not fit the profile of Irish Red Ale :rolleyes:

I do remember that beer alright,very nice,as i recall quite hoppy too.Quite far removed from Irish "Irish Red".I have actually never tried 5am Saint but it's on my list!

Also,Very interesting that Smithwick's is not categorized under Irish Red Ale style considering it's probably Irelands official benchmark for the style,not in measure of quality but just in name i guess.

On another varying note but kind of related,I was in Northern Italy a few months ago,I go quite often and try whatever beers i can find.I have been tasting a few Italian doppio malto (double malt) beers and find them similarish to the Irish Red style albeit with more of an alcohol kick as they are normally around the 7% mark,but they have that sweetly caramel malt similarity.

Anyone have any insight to this?Am I just finding things that aren't there?

It would be fun to see a similar competition being done with draught Lager. It would be an eye-opener for participants. Apart from Budweiser, I think I'd struggle to tell them apart.

I would say so.It would be good to get in some cans of the so called cheap lagers too.There would be chaos!Germania Pilsener 4.8% from dunnes at 99c brewed to rhineheitsgetbot standards vs. Budweiser at twice the price.
    Shock and Awe!:eek:......well maybe...

I have been tasting a few Italian doppio malto (double malt) beers and find them similarish to the Irish Red style albeit with more of an alcohol kick as they are normally around the 7% mark,but they have that sweetly caramel malt similarity.

Anyone have any insight to this?Am I just finding things that aren't there?
    It's just dumbed-down beer, I think. Hops are expensive; cold conditioning is expensive: a sweet malty brew is possibly the cheapest cost-effective method.
    It would be good to get in some cans of the so called cheap lagers too.There would be chaos!Germania Pilsener 4.8% from dunnes at 99c brewed to rhineheitsgetbot standards vs. Budweiser at twice the price.
    Shock and Awe!:eek:......well maybe...
    We did that one, in the park, obviously.

Ah I see,a definite lack of hops for sure.Other than their normal lagers the doppio's are their only other offering I've come across to date.Although I did have one or two lovely ones indeed.

That picture in the park is a definite 80's/christian rock type shot if I've ever seen one!Interesting outcome on the test also..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Next time I see it in a bottle I'll buy one just for the craic, I remain to be convinced that it has any flavour.

Advertisement