Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up rescued dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Pinch collars are horrible, I would never use one on a dog. Like i said before, choke collars work if you know how to use them but people dont and misuse them, in turn choking the dogs. They are supposed to be used as check collars, if you put them on properly, they release again. Pinch collars are horrible things though; try putting one around your arm and pulling on it to get an idea of what the dog's feeling, it hurts like hell.

In this case I wouldn't use either though. This is a rescue dog who needs positive training to help her. The main thing here is to get onto a behaviorist so you can learn which signals to use and make sure you and the dog dont get your signals crossed. Good luck with her OP

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I think sometimes that we can get so caught up with all the equipment out there telling us that this or that is the key to success with training our dogs that we forget about the enjoyment factor in walking our dogs. Don't get me wrong, it's hard to find anything to enjoy when you're being dragged down the road by an extremely boisterous dog who has conveniently gone deaf to your commands, but sometimes us going out there with a strong positive attitude can make all the difference between a walk that's absolute hell and has you crying into your pillow about how you're a terrible owner and how the dog is going to turn into a doggy thug (or maybe that was just me!), and a walk that has its problems but was a bit of fun too because you were working on corrections and things are going to get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please do not use a Pinch or Prong collar, they are barabaric and cruel and i would never put them on a dog, even more so a poor rescue dog that you have no clue of their history and how they were treated.:mad:

Anyone who uses these types of equipment are looking for quick fixes and cant be bothered to put in proper training and time and use good positive training methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Pinch or prong collars are illegal in some countries. I recently met a Doberman at my Vets who still had the scars. At the end of the day the best option for a dog that pulls is to train it not to. Harnesses, haltis are all ok provided that are used as part of a training regime rather than a way to avoid training.

When you are fully recovered go to a good training class & stick with it until you have a dog that walks to heel on or off lead. Dogs love discipline ie doing as they are told & not violence !. One of the key things that you have to teach a dog is how to chill. You decide when it is "on your bed" time not the dog. I am doing this with my pup who can be totally manic. Once a dog learns to chill out it makes life so much easier.

Chewing anything that you don't give it to chew, pulling on lead, no recall etc are not acceptable because they make your life a pain. So take the initiative & make a deal with your dog. He gets a great life & in return he does as he is told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

This was the same with our dog. When we got him, they said he was around 18 months but we think he was younger than that as his puppy ways and 'adolescent years' were there for a really long time.
    Anyway, we had the same problem with him (golden retriever). He would drag, jump and run away because he wanted to explore as much as possible. While he is not the best trained wise, he now sits and waits for his dinner (we can leave and come back and he will still be sitting there) and doesn't jump. He still slightly pulls on the lead but if you call him he stops.
    Your dog is still a puppy so she needs to be taught these things. When you bring her on a walk, each time she pulls, stop. Don't move until he comes back to you. When walking, try to pull her back gently or stop. Pet him when she comes back to you and say 'good girl'. You could try bringing a spray bottle like the window cleaner ones with water and spray her if he pulls (it works and I don't see this as cruel). Teach her to walk beside you.
    You could also try a harness. I looked up it a lot about our dog and a harness seems to work although we never actually got one. That way you have more control over her.
    When walking, as well as in general when she does something wrong, say 'No!' or 'Ah ah!' (we find ah ah works well). I also saw a dog whisperer person type thing said using a very very low 'bah' works when they do something wrong or to stop them).
    Give it time. The puppy and adolescent years are hard but if you just do some basic things (your daughter would probably like it aswell, you could advance to tricks) like sit, stay, heel even you will probably see an improvement. She's just a puppy so she's still learning but definitely work on the lead so it doesn't develop more as she gets bigger (if she does).
    There are loads of articles and videos online as to how to train her, I doubt you would need a trainer. Give it time and as someone else suggested, you could ring the place you got her.
    Hope I helped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement