Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H1b visa application

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

delaney001 wrote: »
    And was that around the Christmas week or during the year?

Another question, can you prebook in for a date in the embassy. I know normally they just give you the next available day but is it possible to ask them for a specific date?

Cheers.

No but i have got it around busy times, like in may when all the J1's are cycling through. Normally they recommend that you call and book. You should try do it 3 months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    No but i have got it around busy times, like in may when all the J1's are cycling through. Normally they recommend that you call and book. You should try do it 3 months ahead.

Ya ill try ring them tomorrow or some stage of this week.

Cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thezapper

delaney001 wrote: »
    Hey,

Got my H1B today. Next time I'm going home (Ireland) is 18th December.
    I believe I have to get my visa 'stamped' before I come back to the US, once I leave.

What I want to know, is if I go to the embassy on the morning I arrive in Ireland (Friday the 19th), what is the likelihood that I will get my passport back to me before the 3rd of January?

I cant really go home for any longer than that, does the embassey work over Xmas or will they shut down the 19th and cease all processing until the 2/3rd of January?

Thanks in advance

Are you currently working in the US on a H1B and renewing your H1B or is this your first H1B? I am in the US on a H1B at the moment. It took me about 4-5 business days to get my passport back from the US embassy with the H1B in it. They post it back to you so you have to have an address in Ireland they can send it to. They do not allow you to pick it up in person. Bear in mind that you have to make an appointment at the US embassy by calling a 1550 phone number. You can't just turn up.

If this is a renewal of your H1B then I would be interested to hear about that myself as I have to renew mine in Nov/Dec and like you I don't want to be back in Ireland for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

thezapper wrote: »
    Are you currently working in the US on a H1B and renewing your H1B or is this your first H1B? I am in the US on a H1B at the moment. It took me about 4-5 business days to get my passport back from the US embassy with the H1B in it. They post it back to you so you have to have an address in Ireland they can send it to. They do not allow you to pick it up in person. Bear in mind that you have to make an appointment at the US embassy by calling a 1550 phone number. You can't just turn up.

If this is a renewal of your H1B then I would be interested to hear about that myself as I have to renew mine in Nov/Dec and like you I don't want to be back in Ireland for too long.

Well, no I'm on the 12 month J1 visa. This is my first year applying for the H1B, and I got it today. So just trying to figure how many days I need at home max. As I want to book my flights for xmas in the next few days, and want to be able book the return flight with a bit of confidence that I'll have my passport back in time.

Advertisement