Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upcoming Gigs. Read OP.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Owen Pallett in Whelans tomorrow night, E5 in and pay on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TwoCanDan

lordgoat wrote: »
    Owen Pallett in Whelans tomorrow night, E5 in and pay on the door.
    For real? I take it there'll be a ginormous queue?

TwoCanDan wrote: »
    For real? I take it there'll be a ginormous queue?

sure start queuing now and keep me a spot!!

but yep it's for real.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well holy crap. Do want!

sure start queuing now and keep me a spot!!

but yep it's for real.
    Balls: Have to work tomorrow...won't get in until 7 at the earliest. Do you guys reckon that'll be too late?

• Advertisement

doors are at 8. I won't get there til after 7 either...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wonder if it will be packed. Aiming to be there for seven too, think that's safe?

Tickets are on sale now from WAV. Get them beforehand if you can.

7 should be grand johnny

That was brilliant...thanks again for the heads-up lordgoat...

Without a doubt the best Quality:Cost ratio of any gig I've ever been to...(€5ticket, €4pint, 80c hula hoops on way home).

Can anyone tell me what the song he played after The Power of Love was?...I'm ashamed to say I didn't know it, but I knew TPOL from the first few notes...

Oh...it was also nice to see Corey Feldman back at work, albeit on drums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Can anyone tell me what the song he played after The Power of Love was?...I'm ashamed to say I didn't know it, but I knew TPOL from the first few notes...

That song is called Trouser Minnow.

• Advertisement

What a ****ing gig. Two hours of awesome for a fiver. Couldn't off the top of my head think of anything he missed out on setlist wise, plus a tonne of surprises. Was almost disappointed when he stopped playing covers :P Some unusual but excellent additions from his earlier stuff - He Poos Clouds! Was a bit concerned about the band at times but they really did add a lot to songs like Lewis Takes off His Shirt (I love being reminded how straight up awesome that song is), even if the drummer tended to go a bit mad :pac:

Thanks LG for heads-up and JL for the tickets :) Most bitchin' hour long encore I've ever paid a fiver for.

That song is called Trouser Minnow.
    That was really fast, thanks!...I was going to hazard a guess and say it sounded a bit like a Big Black tune...sorry to go off-topic, but do you reckon Two Nuns and a Pack Mule is worth getting in it's entirety?

Oh, forgot he didn't play the Butcher. The selfish bastard :pac:

Oh, forgot he didn't play the Butcher. The selfish bastard :pac:

Beat me to it! This is the only one i can't remember himm playing. Will let him away with it i suppose.

That was really fast, thanks!...I was going to hazard a guess and say it sounded a bit like a Big Black tune...sorry to go off-topic, but do you reckon Two Nuns and a Pack Mule is worth getting in it's entirety?

It was by Rapeman - but they're also a Steve Albini band so you're nearly right. I just knew it was Albini, had to look up the band name.

Albini's stuff is always worth checking out I think, although I go through phases of liking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Rapeman was Albini and the rhythm section from Scratch Acid, there’s a few songs on the record that get tiresome after a few hundred listens, but it's worth checking out to hear how well the three of them play together. It's less relentless the Big Black, a smaller band and all human.

If you like Albini pick it up.

My main problem with that list is that they think 'Power of Love' is a Celine Dion cover.

gob_bluth_come_on.jpg

I know, but i think it stems from him playing it at a show the first time when Celine had some big show on in Canada...

Interesting fact about The Power of Love. It's the only song to be number 1 in the same year by three different artists (Same song title not actual song). Bonus points for the year and artists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Found these online. These are some tracks from the Owen Pallett gig itself.

http://soundcloud.com/enfante_terrib/sets

• Advertisement

Peter Delaney in Anseo this sunday... July 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Fionn Regan in the grand social thursday week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Potcher

Anyone going to this tonight in Whelans. Really looking forward to this show. Loved the newest album that came out last year I think it was.

Amazing gig from Leagues again for a great cause.

See ye all there. Sunday the 25th for E15, all day event.

http://www.nialler9.com/11142-alliance-independent-artists-africa-ireland/

And So I Watch You From Afar
    Patrick Kelleher & His Cold Dead Hands
    Retarded Cop
    Tieranniesaur
    Toby Kaar
    Spies
    We Are Losers
    The Last Days Of 1984
    Moths
    Great Lakes Mystery
    SertOne
    Alarmist
    White Collar Boy
    Daithi
    Angkorwat
    REID

Amazing gig from Leagues again for a great cause.

See ye all there. Sunday the 25th for E15, all day event.

http://www.nialler9.com/11142-alliance-independent-artists-africa-ireland/

And So I Watch You From Afar
    Patrick Kelleher & His Cold Dead Hands
    Retarded Cop
    Tieranniesaur
    Toby Kaar
    Spies
    We Are Losers
    The Last Days Of 1984
    Moths
    Great Lakes Mystery
    SertOne
    Alarmist
    White Collar Boy
    Daithi
    Angkorwat
    REID

this is on today 2pm.

Competitions to will gig tickets to a few gigs and other prizes (Mangum tickets being the big one for me!!)

I'll be the dude looking like a ****ing zombie suffering from post migraine fatigue, come say hi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Jocasta

Anybody else heading along to Gruff Rhys in the Academy tonight? Does anyone know if doors are at the same time since it has been moved from the Olympia? 7pm seems very early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

No sign of Wilco playing in Ireland any time soon? I saw they're touring... They're usually good for a stop in Vicar St.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    No sign of Wilco playing in Ireland any time soon? I saw they're touring... They're usually good for a stop in Vicar St.

There's more european dates to be announced. They'll play next march i'f guess, either before or more likely after the UK leg. Also i'd expect them to be at primavera.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

I can't go but Richmond Fontaine are playing in the Workmans Club tonight
    http://www.theworkmansclub.com/2011/09/13/richmond-fontaine-041111/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ned rierson

I can't go but Richmond Fontaine are playing in the Workmans Club tonight
    http://www.theworkmansclub.com/2011/09/13/richmond-fontaine-041111/

class gig. country punk at its best

Engine Alley are on in the Project Arts Centre tonight.

Jape in newbridge, also tonight.

Jape, Rubberbandits + Little Green Cars in the Workman's tonight (Sun).

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

richmond fontaine were great.

bouts ep launch in whelans tonight. free in.
    i cant make it :(
    http://gimmebouts.com/

This Friday in the Joinery, Small Hours wake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭u:mack

this friday:

u:mack
    Present
    The Magic Band
    Friday December 2nd
    Button Factory
    Doors 7.30
    Tickets €25 From Sound Cellar & Tickets.ie/umack

The Magic Band make their debut Irish appearance this friday. Reunited in 2001, the band will be performing music from all the albums they created with Captain Beefheart (who retired from music in 1982, and sadly passed away in 2010), from 1967's "Safe as Milk" onwards. Don't miss this rare opportunity to witness this incredible event.
    This preformance will feature:
    John “Drumbo” French, Vocals, harmonica & drums
    Denny “Feelers Rebo” Walley, Slide guitar
    Mark “Rocket Morton” Boston, Bass
    Eric Klerks , guitar
    Craig Bunch, drums

check out this incredible footage from 2006
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsr7YQj4b00

Some other People's thought's on the reformed Magic band:
    For those who have yet to experience the Magic Band's truly ambitious weirdness, these shows will astonish you. And for tried and true Beefheart fans like me, these are deliriously momentous occasions with maybe a nostalgic, avant-garde sniffle or two
    Matt Groening (creator of The Simpsons)

John Peel was initially skeptical about the re-formed Magic Band. He played a live recording of the band recorded at the 2003 All Tomorrows Parties festival on his radio show; afterwards he couldn't speak and had to put on another record to regain his composure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Gig tonight in Roisin Dubh Galway tonight with the Frank and Walters, the Deprivations, Elaine Mai and Rams Pocket Radio. Apply through Hotpress.com for free tickets. Just after getting two there. Handy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

This might prove a useful thread.
    Tips for upcoming gigs/discussion and reviews of gigs attended welcomed.
    Obviously we want to avoid mass duplication of the Gig/Events forum so keep on-topic which I know most will.Those gigs where you pay a ten or twenty quid and see something great are by far my fav type of Gig.
    Anyway first up am curious to hear How Animal Collective gig last night went down..Anyone go?

There was/is already a thread for upcoming gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

notnumber wrote: »
    This might prove a useful thread.
    Tips for upcoming gigs/discussion and reviews of gigs attended welcomed.
    Obviously we want to avoid mass duplication of the Gig/Events forum so keep on-topic which I know most will.Those gigs where you pay a ten or twenty quid and see something great are by far my fav type of Gig.
    Anyway first up am curious to hear How Animal Collective gig last night went down..Anyone go?

I was there, immense.
    The entire place sat on the floor for the intro of My Girls, then lepped up when it kicked off. Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I was there, immense.
    The entire place sat on the floor for the intro of My Girls, then lepped up when it kicked off. Amazing.

Found that kind of embarrassing myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Going to see Matt Corby next Weds in Whelan's. Ozzie dude, think he came 3rd on Australia X factor a few years back but has slightly reinvented himself as an excellent singer/songwriter. Not sure what sort of crowd is going to be there.

This song, in particular, is amazing. One of my favourite songs over the past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Yeah, the Animal Collective gig was excellent. The songs off 'Centipede Hz' translated really well (particularly the spikier, beat-driven tunes like 'Moonjock' and 'Today's Supernatural) and while the musical interludes between songs did drag at times, the soundscapes they produced were astonishing. There was a bittersweet realisation though that the gig only really took legs when they played the MPP cuts ('Brothersport' was spectacular).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nissim

Were Prince Rama supporting when you guys saw Animal Collective? If so, what did you think of them?

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I have a very busy gig month ahead of me!
    -Passion Pit at the Olympia 11/11
    -Citizens! at Academy 2 12/11
    -Keane at the Olympia 21/11
    -Shearwater at Button Factory 28/11
    -Purity Ring at Button Factory 29/11
    -Wild Nothing at Workman's Club 01/12

The last two are those I anticipate the most: I've half-seen Purity Ring at Forbidden Fruit and found them quite interesting and Wild Nothing's Nocturne is one of my favourite albums this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Exitmusic playing Whelans this Saturday 10/11. Cracking little band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVC1LP5AuVk

The Dirty Three are playing The Button Factory on Nov 23rd. Guaranteed stormer of a gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Got tickets for Turn's last tour. Unfortunately I'm only in Ireland for the Cork date on Dec 27 so have to travel to bandit country for it :o:p

Ah well, just glad I can catch them on my trip home and at 15 euro it's a snip. One of my favourite ever Irish bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Birneybau wrote: »
    Found that kind of embarrassing myself.

From what I've heard Deakin thought it was rather cool and was blown away by it.

Shockin easy to embarrass you. Did you stand at the back, arms folded appreciating the time signatures?

• Advertisement
Advertisement