Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Buy or Not To Buy?

• 01-11-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭

I sold an old guitar earlier, and I've a nice sum of 100 quid just waiting to be spent :D

I'm not too sure on what though, it's between a tripod, a cheap flash or a 50mm manual focus lense.

I'd love the tripod for long exposures and indoor shots.

The flash would be good for portraits as the flash in my d3000 is weak.

The 50mm i hear is great for portraits, which is where my 18-55 and 70-300 really lack sharpness, and i'd really like to work on my portraits.

Has anybody got any advice on which would be the best option, or any alternative's?

Thanks,
    Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Is the 50mm f1.8? If so, buy it now. Buy it now and be amazed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

stetyrrell wrote: »

Hmmm. Canon man myself but the 'nifty fifty' Canons can go for under a hundred new on ebay, and they're AF. Can't really comment as to the Nikon equivalents though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

If it's an absolutely mint condition AIS, not series E or AI/pre-AI then I guess at a push I might fork out €80 for one. You can get them cheaper on EBay though. I think I paid about €50 or so for mine. New af models are 150 in conns, and cheaper again online.

would i be better off getting this: http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=3359

or get this http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=1991 use it as a manual focus and then have it as an autofocus when i eventually upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

would i be better off getting this: http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=3359

or get this http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=1991 use it as a manual focus and then have it as an autofocus when i eventually upgrade?

On a digital camera that's not full-frame, the 30mm is going to be closer to what a "nifty fifty" would give you on a 35mm camera.

A 50mm is going to "act" more like an 80mm or so.. which would be a fairly wide-angle portrait lens. (80-135mm area.)

I'd recommend the 30mm at 1.8. (I just got a 30mm f1.4 myself... it's sweet so far) =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'd echo heebie's advice there. Shell out for the 35 if you have the cash, it's the digital equivalent of a standard lens, plus it'll AF on your camera.
    One thing about the AIS lenses that you might not be aware of is that you obviously won't have AF, but you'll lose metering as well. For that reason if nothing else,
    if you don't have the readies for the 35mm then the 50mm AF is probably what you should get, you won't be able to AF but you'll maintain metering.
    Do get it in gunns though, it's likely to be cheaper than bermighams, and they're an absolute pleasure to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I try not to use flash for portraits.. if I had a bit set of proper studio strobes with umbrellas and gels to use.. I might think differently.. but generally an on-camera flash makes for much too harsh a contrast.

Of course.. it's hard to get the warm glow of an incandescent lamp anymore..since the bulbs are illegal for stores to carry.. and they can often be too warm... but we get a lot of somewhat cloudy days, and diffuse light like that can be great for portraits. "daylight balanced" fluorescent light isn't too horrible.. but I really like natural light for portraits.

Some kind of gel'ed reflector would probably be nice to warm things up a bit. (Or you can tweak the color temperature in PP... or mix down to black & white.)
    The flash would be good for portraits as the flash in my d3000 is weak.

I'll look into the 35mm then, I think I'll have to go down the secondhand route as they're a bit out of my desired price range new.

Advertisement