Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathbeggan Lakes

Options
  • 01-11-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Down there today. Weather was a bit crap but the fishing was enjoyable.

The lake was topped up with new arrivals today which made things a bit lively.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Can't beat a bit of stockie bashin now and then.
    A nice pic of me on the wall in there from waaaaay back. Not tellin ya which one tho:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Can't beat a bit of stockie bashin now and then.
    A nice pic of me on the wall in there from waaaaay back. Not tellin ya which one tho:p

the one of the lad that has no fish?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

the one of the lad that has no fish?

Ooooooh ..... you're mean !!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

letting them in nice and gently i see..... all the same there must be shillings in this rainbow stockie fishery lark...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

letting them in nice and gently i see..... all the same there must be shillings in this rainbow stockie fishery lark...

I used to fish there but gave up on it. Its more about making money then good fishing.
    Where else would you find people trying to fish, and then have a 50+ lads with airsoft guns running around at the same time???

That's a pity.

I have seen a few places like this... where you are fly fishing and there's 10 guys hammering the water with spinners 20ft from you.

That's a pity.

I have seen a few places like this... where you are fly fishing and there's 10 guys hammering the water with spinners 20ft from you.

one of the reasons why i very rarely go anywhere near those places..........they give stockie fisheries a bad name.

The rainbow fisheries that buy the more expensive triploid rainbows usually look after them and are generally restricted to fly only, possibly with a "bait pool" for the all methods newbies.
    You will know a triploid when you hook it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

Any chance of an explanation of the difference between a "normal" and "triploid" rainbow there CW?

• Advertisement

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Triploid fish look, swim, jump, and taste like normal fish, except for one important difference—they never develop normal eggs or sperm and are unable to reproduce.[/FONT]

The triploid is a sterile trout that spends its entire life gorging on feed rather than thinking about creating offspring. These fish can grow to trophy size if not caught in the first year and if the lakes have plenty of feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

do the normal rainbows reproduce?? i always thought they were all the same and didnt, didnt know about the normal/triploid difference! would you know by looking at them which was which?

""You will know a triploid when you hook it!!"""

I agree, I am thinking Rathcon lakes :eek:

Incredibly hard fighting, and spanking perfect condition, all season round.
    Imagine hooking into a railway locomotive .... it's something like that!

I had a 4lb-er last season, hooked at about 20 metres, a 30 metre run, stop for 2-5 seconds then another 30 metre run, and then a third 20 metre run followed by jumps. I had about 130 yards of backing and the shooting head, and the line left on the spool was getting very thin!
    It was like a 6-7lb fresh run salmon performance-wise.
    Some of the rainbow fisheries use triploids.
    Rathcon, Annamoe that I know directly. Others do too but I'll let people with directly acquired knowledge name them.

The difference is at it's most marked in early spring when normal rainbows are blackened in colouration and sometimes spawn bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

A fishery that i fish on and has hard fighting Rainbow Trout is Curragh Springs Fishery. I recently wrote a report on this fishery which can be read here : http://bit.ly/a2z4CD
    wgsten

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Will be making a trip there. Looks and sounds fantastic.
    Great review wgsten.

I will do likewise over the winter.

wgsten wrote: »
    A fishery that i fish on and has hard fighting Rainbow Trout is Curragh Springs Fishery. I recently wrote a report on this fishery which can be read here : http://bit.ly/a2z4CD
    wgsten

Smashing report there. Seems like a good spot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

bayliner wrote: »
    do the normal rainbows reproduce?? i always thought they were all the same and didnt, didnt know about the normal/triploid difference! would you know by looking at them which was which?

Yep, they're a fully normal wild species in their own right, they're just not native to Ireland so they're bred in farms. They're native and in the wild in the US, they have them in their rivers etc the same way we have brown trout. They also have steelhead, which are rainbows which have adapted to sea migration the same way our sea-trout do. The same in the New Zealand apparently, and interestingly they farm brown trout over there and use them for stocked lakes because they farm so well and grow to such sizes in the NZ climate, the same way we farm rainbows and use them for stocked lakes here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I agree on Rathcon, excellent fighting fish in there. Hadn't heard of Curragh Springs will have to give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Was a Curragh Springs today, quality place, quality fish, will definately be back. ;)

Advertisement