Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Phone / Mobile Phone

Options
  • 01-11-2010 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,637 ✭✭✭

Hello

Im looking for a new smart phone, im my mind, the ideal phone would be a phone that just had the normal 1-9 digits ( e.g. nokia e51 ) and then around the peremiter of them buttons, have the ones most used, e.g. dot, comma, question, space, enter etc. and all this on decent sized buttons, not ones you need a needle to hit correctly, and this could either be a touch screen or normal hard keys. but doubt there is a phone like that out there

some of these touch phones do my head in especially the ones with the qwerty keyboard, I keep on hitting the wrong buttons, same with the phones that have a physical qwerty, I can honestly write a text/mail quicker on the old type phones e.g. nokia e51, nice and simple, buttons are plenty big and did not make mistakes with hitting buttons as well spaced apart.

so im looking for a phone which has a touch screen but also has a physical navigation button and for the data entry a normal 1-9 l keyboard could be used as opposed to qwerty ( i find that a fully touch screen enabled phone is a bit annoying and better to have a physical navigation button to help you get exactly where you want )

hope im making sense, think im just ranting :) ))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,637 ✭✭✭obi604

hello, yep, looking for something like that alright

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Im not sure why you want the touchscreen, is that not confusing the issue?

Have you looked at the nokia E55, it has a 12key design. so not your 1-9, but not full qwerty obviously.

Are all full qwerty ruled out completely, or if you got one with some room/bigger keys it would be ok?

welll the touch screen can be handy in certain situations
    yeah, the nokia e55 is not bad

no, not all qwerty's are ruled out at all, its just anyone ive used, you have to be exact on them and have not founf one with decent sized buttons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

Blackberry Pearl? 9105 is a new enough one (1-9 keypad) or one of the older Pearl 8100/8110/8120 models (qwerty format similar to Nokia E55)?

im not too gone on the black berries

I know, I know, im too picky

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

obi604 wrote: »
    im not too gone on the black berries

I know, I know, im too picky

Very few touchscreen phones come with a physical keyboard and those that do seem to have qwerty keyboards, eg Palm Pre and Blackberry Torch and those handsets that are all touchscreen most use the qwerty virtual layout afaik. Hope you find something that suits your needs!

Have you played with a N97?

Their is also a n97 mini, but it has no scroll pad beside the qwerty. The keyboard on that is pretty decent imo, and it also has touchscreen ofcourse

Very few touchscreen phones come with a physical keyboard and those that do seem to have qwerty keyboards, eg Palm Pre and Blackberry Torch and those handsets that are all touchscreen most use the qwerty virtual layout afaik. Hope you find something that suits your needs!

Im thinkin the palm pre could be the way forward

Does anyone know of any place that sells 2nd hand / refurbished Palm pre's ?

other than adevrts.ie or ebay , tried them already and they just seem a bit expensive for the palm pre

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

The Samsung Wave and Galaxy S allow you to change the keypad from QWERTY back to original format ie numbers and letters on the one key.

Davy wrote: »

Thanks for detailed reply, appreciated.
    I do not really want to pay them prices though, was looking for a second hand one - more around the 100 euro mark

hey, OP here.

Im just thinking that I would not mind a touch screen phone at all IF it had a physical tracker ball or joy pad on it ( so that you could navigate without relying fully on touch screen ) relying fully on touch screen does my head in.

Also, a phone that for texting or writing e-mails that it could be changed to a regular 1-9 keypad for texting, im actually way quicker using the old skool keypad than the querty one

anyone know of a phone like this ?

Advertisement