Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with UPC broadband

• 01-11-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

So I've just signed up to UPC broadband. AFAIK I have installed it correctly. However when I go to connect to UPC my laptop is telling me Windows cannot connect.

I have rang UPC customer services 3 times today very helpful but havent actually solved the problem. I've been told to get somebody out to check out the problem for 50 euro I really dont have to be spending. So here I am asking for help.

I'm not techy at all. What I've been told today is that the laptop will connect to UPC when all security settings are turned off. Also I've had the same problem with linking up to my college network, and a few other people with Toshiba laptops too have had to download a driver or something. can anyone shed any light on that or the problem in general .

Thanks a million
    Green

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

can you explain what it is you try to do when you "go to connect"?

My brother-in-law had the same problem. It happens when he plugs out his router/modem. The router reset itself to default.

Its the crap router/modem UPC give out (Cisco E2425). From what I have read it not the router but the software UPC load onto it...

Try to set you own SSID (Broadband name) and set your own password. That fixed it for him.

To do this go here:
    http://192.168.1.1 When asked for username/password just hit enter.

Then enter a new password.

Go to "Setup" at the top when there, scroll down to the bottom. Look for "Wireless" then "Basic" and set you own SSID.
    Click Apply

The go below "Basic" and into "Security" and enter a new password.
    Click Apply

NB: To login to http://192.168.1.1 connect to your router using the cable (ethernet cable) that UPC should have given you.

Try to connect through wirelesss now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

@LaughingJoker

If the OP is having the same issue at College, then it's nothing to do with the UPC modem.
    Changing the SSID and password, or the firmware on the modem will have no bearing on his problem.

OP.

Are you running Vista by any chance?
    If it is Vista, then it's probably a confliction between Vista and the WPA security.
    Changing to WEP would be the simplest cure for this, but it would leave your network less secure.

If its not Vista you may have to download a new network card driver from Toshibas website.

Advertisement