Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian English proficiency test for General skilled visa

Options
  • 02-11-2010 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm filling out my application for the General skilled visa for Australia. I have received my skills assessment finally and just had a question about proof of english proficiency. I presumed that since I have an Irish passport that I wouldn't need to submit anything with the visa but I just read somewhere that if you are claiming points for english proficiency you also need to provide proof - in the form of IELTS test results (or something like that). Anyone know anything about this? Do I need to provide something - or is my passport sufficient. I think the application form indicates that the passport is sufficient but not sure if this is the same if you are claiming points for this too?
    Appreciate your feedback....thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes your passport will give you 15 points
    you can claim up to 25 points if you do a test to show you are Proficient.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-english.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rediguana25

Thanks Hussey.
    Just realised I only have 110 points so is the IELTS really only for people who are not native English speakers or can it actually be used to get the extra 10 points I need to pass....I completely overlooked this- really thought I had enough.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Thanks Hussey.
    Just realised I only have 110 points so is the IELTS really only for people who are not native English speakers or can it actually be used to get the extra 10 points I need to pass....I completely overlooked this- really thought I had enough.......

from the website
    If you wish to claim 25 points you will need to meet the required English language test results for proficient English.
    so yes you can apply for the extra 10 points

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

Has anyone any update to the requirements for the Visa 175

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

LizOHagan wrote: »

Hi Liz,
    I'm currently workin out at 70 points based on age, doing the IELTS test, degree and 1 years work in Aus.

This, to me, seems very different to the old test. I had no hope of getting in before the change.

Has it really got that much easier to get a visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Hello Melb

I wouldn't say it has got easier, it is more of a case of the way in which one can accrue points is different than it has been for about 15 years. Australia is focusing on more than just the occupation. Some people such as tradespeople may find themselves disadvantaged under the new system.

Remember also to check the basic requirements (such as age, recent work experience etc) as well as the points test.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Dont forget that with the new points system you dont get any points for having an irish passport anymore which means you will probably need to sit the test if you need that 10 or 20 points.

From the points test pdf LizOHagan attached....

To claim points for proficient or superior English language all applicants, including citizens of United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America or the Republic of Ireland, will need to complete an English language test.

Description of English language ability
    • 20 - Superior English (a score of at least 8 in each of the four components of the IELTS test, or equivalent standard in a specified test)
    • 10 - Proficient English (a score of at least 7 in each of the four components of the IELTS test, or equivalent standard in a specified test)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

How is the test done? is it online or do you sit it somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Noo wrote: »
    How is the test done? is it online or do you sit it somewhere?
    IELTS is not done online, it's done under normal exam conditions with an examiner/exam hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I see, so i presume theres places around that hold these exams? sorry if thats a stupid question but i've never heard of this test before looking into Australia. What kind of stuff is in the exam? Would a person who has always had a high level of english easily be able to get the mark needed for the maximum visa points.

I know quite a few non-native English speakers and they find it tough enough. There are comprehensive courses for non-natives to improve. As a native english speaker I wouldn't be confident of achieving 8 to 9 (max) without preparation. Maybe I'm being conservative but I see on British Expats some UK people failing to meet thresholds for working in medical profession.

I'm not particularly familiar with IELTS myself but I know there are test centres globally and some are based at universities in Aus. There were corruption issues at a SA university recently I believe.

Noo wrote: »
    I see, so i presume theres places around that hold these exams? sorry if thats a stupid question but i've never heard of this test before looking into Australia. What kind of stuff is in the exam? Would a person who has always had a high level of english easily be able to get the mark needed for the maximum visa points.

I googled IELTS sample tests and had a look at them. They seem OK concentration needed sort of stuff. Loads of places around the country as test centres.

Bit of internet searching will have you sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 reganww

I did the test in UCD Language centre on Staurday.
    Not difficult really - but I would advise you do a bit of prep.
    Wouldn't chance it without knowing the format - it could catch you off-guard.

Check out www.dcielts.com - I found it pretty useful.

ballooba wrote: »
    Belfast?;)

Are you not in Aus?

Originally ment there was loads of places in Aus to do it-surprizingly!

melb wrote: »
    Are you not in Aus?

Originally ment there was loads of places in Aus to do it-surprizingly!
    For now I am. I was just pointing out another option in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GeoffK

Hi,
    A bit late to this thread but I think there are some schools that provide courses to prep. you for the IELTS. I think there's one near where I live on Bray Main St. near McDonald's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

If you are going to do it do it in Ireland, there are a number of places to do it there, its only 190 eur, I was looking at where I am in Oz and as its rural its got and extra cost to doing it, its something like 350 for the test plus another 350 for being in the sticks!! typical!!:eek:

You'd have to study for it.. I teach Ielts and still wouldn't get max points without doing my own writing practice. And it's surprisingly hard to talk naturally about a topic in a set period of time with very little time to prepare. Too easy to assume fluency is enough to get a high mark.

Advertisement