Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you caught someone in the act of stealing your expensive bike?

• 02-11-2010 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

How do you think you would react in this situation?

i think i would be just so shocked , as to not be enraged and just lunge for the bike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Would I confront a thief?
    It would depend on whether I was wearing a helmet or not! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Turn the other cheek and let them steal my MTB too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Take a picture of him on my camera phone, then laugh at the dope, because hes not gunna be getting through a fagheddaboudit with a boltcutters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Join in, infiltrate their gang and gain their trust over a number of months and then take out the ring leader by cleverly keeping a large selection of high colesterol snacks that he will be unable to resist which will eventually lead to a heart conditon or at the very least a decline in his quality of life... that'll show em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

ideally bundle the little scumbag into the back of a van. Bag over his head, cable ties on wrists and then a nice long drive up and around the wicklow mountains for an hour or two before depositing them out of the moving van on remote road in the pitch dark on a cold wet winter night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Nah, then he'll nick all our bikes when we're gaspresting at the top of those climbs...

Oh, and where do we store the scumbag while waiting for a cold wet winter night?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

You expect to be waiting that long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I'd be wondering how he got past the dog..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Hammer time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

On a more serious note, maybe smash both his ankles with a hammer, and maybe a knee or two, then drag him out to the middle of the road for all to see :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

john__long wrote:
    Hammer time!

Scare him away with your voluminous trousers.

6567.mc-hammer.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0TTXDM86AJ1CB68A7P02&Expires=1288706409&Signature=kdsEdq5OalGar63I3hws3wpK9ig%3d

"Don't touch that, ya bollix"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Years ago, when I was in School in North Strand VEC, I look out of the window during class and saw two shady guys acting suspicious beside my bike, which was chained to the fence. As I watched, one of them took a bolt cutters out from under his jacket and went towards my bike!. I jumped up, ran down two flights of stairs and legged it after the two guys as they ran away. They turned down Sheriff Street and I kept after them. At this point I started to question my actions.

1. There were TWO of them.
    2. One of them had a BOLT Cutters and I ran after them with a pencil in my hand!
    3. They didn't actually steal my bike.

So i gave up the chase and returned to school.

I've no idea what would have happened, if i caught them, though if i was a betting man, I'd say it would have involved a trip to the hospital A&E ( for me, not the guys with the bolt cutters!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Its all about the intention, you may just have had a pencil but by god you were fully prepared to use it! :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDIbEoB-_ZRJNY4VF9mISVVeU1ZPOH26OlComUiGjjzu7ugLw&t=1&usg=__iYB2Ttf6fmTB8cv0xfyNBh-QcME=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

07Lapierre wrote:
    I've no idea what would have happened, if i caught them, though if i was a betting man, I'd say it would have involved a trip to the hospital A&E ( for me, not the guys with the bolt cutters!)

It's certainly something that you have to consider when deciding whether to intervene. It's not easy to make yourself stop and think clearly when the red mist descends, so it can prove easy to just throw yourself into a potentially dangerous situation unprepared.

As an example, I know of one person who intervened when he saw some guys trying to steal his car, and the thieves didn't hesitate to go straight for him, one of them brandishing a screwdriver. He expected it, and was prepared for it, and came through unscathed but it could very easily have gone the other way. Not every thief is as vicious, of course, but as you say you do have to consider it a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I would think "hey he's stealing my bike - attack". Then I would think "hang on - he's a rough looking fellow and I have never won a fight in my life". Then I would think "but I have the advantage of surprise and right on my side". Then I would think "maybe I will just shout at him". Then I would think "look he's getting away". Then I would think "I am a modern day Hamlet, dithering when I should act". Then I would think "I'll tell my mates I was battering him when his mate nipped off with the bike".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Never locked my pride and joy outside, it lives in the spare bedroom. So, when the new laws kick in, if i walked in on someone stealing my bike i'd be allowed to kill them!

Not that i would....it is a lovely bike though...hmmm

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

1. Let them have it - life's short enough already
    2. Have a good whinge about it on here - you lot may as well share my grief
    3. Start perusing Wiggle, CRC etc websites - always look on the bright side of life ...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Beasty wrote: »
    1. Let them have it - life's short enough already
    2. Have a good whinge about it on here - you lot may as well share my grief
    3. Start perusing Wiggle, CRC etc websites - always look on the bright side of life ...:D

:eek:

I hope you mean 'it' and not the bike...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cojomo2 wrote: »
    :eek:

I hope you mean 'it' and not the bike...

No definitely meant the bike - how else could I justify a new one?

No definitely meant the bike - how else could I justify a new one?

so if you came back out of your local tesco or whatever to see some piece of scum tryng to rob your bike, you would stand back and let them go about the job?

• Advertisement

cojomo2 wrote: »
    so if you came back out of your local tesco or whatever to see some piece of scum tryng to rob your bike, you would stand back and let them go about the job?

Well if you want a serious answer (and let's face it, a lot of the posts in this thread are a bit tongue in cheek), I don't know what I would do - it really depends on the circumstances as to how I would react - if I felt particlarly threatened, I would let them have the bike. If I felt I could scare them away, I'd might give it a go. Who knows what you will do until you find yourself in that particular situation.

Well if you want a serious answer (and let's face it, a lot of the posts in this thread are a bit tongue in cheek), I don't know what I would do - it really depends on the circumstances as to how I would react - if I felt particlarly threatened, I would let them have the bike. If I felt I could scare them away, I'd might give it a go. Who knows what you will do until you find yourself in that particular situation.

Fair enough, I'd be of the same mind in so far that if there were more than one person, and they had a screwdriver or other tools, I would not be up for a physical confrontation but I'd definitely let a roar or whatever in the hope they would do a legger.

I just got the impression that you would let the thief away with it hands down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Even though I dont own an expensive bike, I do love my junker.

I'd kindly oblige and remove the U-Lock. Then belt them over the head with it and give them a kick to the teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money.
    But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career.
    Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.
    If you let my bike go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you.
    But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Advertisement