Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with a reliable DNS?

• 02-11-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone would have a reliable DNS. The broadband has been rubbish for the last few days and i'm just trying to rule out things one at a time. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Moogintroll

OpenDNS has always served me well

http://www.opendns.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

+1 for OpenDNS. Been using it for two years now and haven't had any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Open DNS is alot better than google DNS so id use open DNS before using google's one's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jay93 wrote: »
    Open DNS is alot better than google DNS so id use open DNS before using google's one's!
    they also sell your (and everyone else's) browsing habits to advertisers etc. to make money, so if you're at all paranoid about your surfing habits you'll want to give open DNS a wide berth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

PIPEX/UUnet London or whatever the hell they are called these days. Been using them for 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

would this make any difference for online gaming?

try this and just pick whichever DNS servers come out on top for your specific connection.

http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Thanks everyone for your help, the benchmark in particular is very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cableguynick

Try this one

been using it for about 18months now and no problems

also there free account is pretty good

http://www.dyndns.org

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

would this make any difference for online gaming?

None, for gaming You connect by ip address.

vibe666 wrote: »
    they also sell your (and everyone else's) browsing habits to advertisers etc. to make money, so if you're at all paranoid about your surfing habits you'll want to give open DNS a wide berth.

who's to say google dont do the same also :p;)

is that program you suggested good for finding the most relaible DNS server might give it a try :)

ShiresV2 wrote: »
    PIPEX/UUnet London or whatever the hell they are called these days. Been using them for 9 years.

Are these DNS servers reliable looking to switch form open DNS dont want them giving info on what i look up to comapnys?

the only ones that i know of that don't keeps logs of requests are level3 which is all 6 of the 4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6 IP addresses.

of course that doesn't mean that your ISP isn't keeping logs of all the sites you visit, so don't plan on everything you do online being 100% anonymous unless you're using TOR for all your browsing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

vibe666 wrote: »
    the only ones that i know of that don't keeps logs of requests are level3 which is all 6 of the 4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6 IP addresses.

of course that doesn't mean that your ISP isn't keeping logs of all the sites you visit, so don't plan on everything you do online being 100% anonymous unless you're using TOR for all your browsing.
    A - your ISP is legally obliged to keep logs on sites you visit for bleedin' ages

B - I don't think tor means what you think it means. It doesn't encrypt traffic. It just bounces traffic so the endpoint can't see where the request is coming from. And besides older versions of tor use your DNS anyway

C - some people have stopped using tor because of dodgy traffic

ah for fecks sake, it was just a brief remark that I was trying to keep simple to avoid going too far off topic, but if you insist...
    A - your ISP is legally obliged to keep logs on sites you visit for bleedin' ages
    not sure what your point is here, that's pretty much exactly what I said.
    B - I don't think tor means what you think it means. It doesn't encrypt traffic. It just bounces traffic so the endpoint can't see where the request is coming from.
    I know exactly what it means, here you go to save you the bother of looking it up.
    Tor aims to conceal its users' identity and their network activity from surveillance and traffic analysis. Operators of the system operate an overlay network of onion routers which provides anonymity in network location as well as anonymous hidden services. Tor employs encryption in a multi-layered manner (hence the original onion routing analogy) and ensures perfect forward secrecy between routers.
    And besides older versions of tor use your DNS anyway
    and who'd go out of their way to use an old version when you can just download the latest one? it's not like someone is going to grab an old version they have laying around on a 3.5" floppy is it? :confused:
    C - some people have stopped using tor because of dodgy traffic
    on it's own, it's probably not the perfect all in one solution, but if someone was interested in using TOR properly there's plenty of online guides to set it up several different ways that are very effective at hiding and protecting them, (i.e. something along the lines of using openVPN, Squid, Privoxy, and Tor together) and that is more than capable of hiding every little thing you do online from anyone that might be monitoring your internet connection and that very much includes any logging or traffic analysis your ISP may be doing and all your DNS requests.

yes its possible that you might get a bad endpoint where someone is sniffing packets looking for something useful, but you can mitigate the risks by not using it for anything that could expose you to unnecessary risks (using credit cards, online banking etc.)

you don't even need to set it up yourself, you can just download a linux VM with it all pre-installed and you'd be up and running in a few minutes with minimal configuration even a total novice could do.

you could be reading CNN or the NNC news online on a laptop in Hu Jintao's living room surfing the net via his own internet connection and neither he (nor any of his cyber spying minions) would have any way at all to see what you were doing unless they were looking at the screen. there's a very good reason the Chinese government have been going out of their way trying to block TOR access from inside their 'great firewall'.

Advertisement