Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty hotels in Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

yes I'm member of their gym (as far as I know it is NRG Gym with a branch on the East Side as well and not officially related to the hotel but I could be wrong) and find nothing wrong with their gym/swimming activities - although I don't use their jacuzzi's either indoor/outdoor - not a fan in general of jazuzzis - feel like they are soup bowsl with "everything floating around in them" :o:o - but the hotel just always feels wrong for me.

As someone mentioned it would be fab as some sort of community centre but not to be sounding negative (again :D:D) as the council are broke unless some private person does it, I don't think this would be an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

kippy wrote: »
    The racecourse is a one week a year event.
    I dont get the relevance of being near the start/end of a motorway for hotel business when there are as keenly priced hotels in the city centre with easier access to amenaties.

It's only a short taxi ride to town, parking would be one reason I would choose a hotel, some hotels in town have no parking. It depends on the age of the guests where the stay, younger people might prefer city center for the clubs and older people would go for quiter place. If you are driving to a strange city it's handy if the hotel is near the motorway, less time looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

I think they should move a bunch of dirty, smelly squatters in with a huge soundsystem and have raves there every weekend.

Better than leaving em to rot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

kraggy wrote: »
    Be careful with what you say about a business. The way you posted, you implied that the Clayton is closed for business.

It's not. And there are many people working there whose futures are in the balance.

Saying the place is closed may detract business from it.

It was announced on Galway Bay FM that the Clayyton Hotel had gone into receivership.
    When a hotel goes into receivership they close. [ModEdit]Fact. Falsehood.[/ModEdit]
    Announcing it on this forum after it was publicised on Galway Bay FM is not going to be detrimental. Fact.
    The Clayton Hotel is already in receivership. Fact.
    The employees of the Clayton Hotel are not in the balance; the hotel is in receivership,[ModEdit] therefore they will lose their jobs. Fact.[/ModEdit]

bildo wrote: »
    I think they should move a bunch of dirty, smelly squatters in with a huge soundsystem and have raves there every weekend.

Better than leaving em to rot.

I couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement

Dr McManus wrote: »
    It was announced on Galway Bay FM that the Clayyton Hotel had gone into receivership.
    When a hotel goes into receivership they close. Fact.
    Announcing it on this forum after it was publicised on Galway Bay FM is not going to be detrimental. Fact.
    The employees of the Clayton Hotel are not in the balance; the hotel is in receivership, therefore they will lose their jobs. Fact.

on the same radio at the same time it also said all 120 jobs were safe.

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/luxury-galway-hotel-in-receivership-52587.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

soundbyte wrote: »
    TAlso, do former hotels count? Lisbrook House off the Headford Road (Ibis) and The Eglinton in Salthill, both used to house asylum seekers.

Is'nt the Ibis owned by Motorpark and rented to house asylum seekers. Probably no hotel in town making more profit than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Correct

You're talking through your hole if you'll pardon my French. That is rarely the case.

It is if you incorrectly jump to the conclusion that the hotel is closed, which it isn't. It didn't even close for a minute. The receiver is running it with the existing manager.

Posting disinformation helps nobody, not least the staff. If somebody googles the Clayton (a potential customer), they may come across this thread and read the hotels is closed. IT ISN'T.

Correct.
    The employees of the Clayton Hotel are not in the balance; the hotel is in receivership, therefore they will lose their jobs. Fact.

No, the jobs are safe for the time being. Of course, there may be some paring back on staff, but the hotel will be run as a going concern.

PS Is there an 'ignore poster' option anywhere, can somebody tell me, because Dr McQuestions is going to get me banned if I continue and I have a clean slate on boards.

Edit: It's ok, found the ignore option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Apparently reading Latin at Oxford does not mean someone knows everything. (fact!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The Clayton Hotel is far from empty, its possibly one of the busiest hotels in the city, the reason it went into receivership is because of the owners other company going bust and owing millions. you would be a mad man to close it down

Sorry to disagree, this along with 100's of hotels in the country have been operating at a substantial loss for quite some time, rates alone barely covered overheads and I suspect suppliers had no option to seek the appointment of receivers. In some cases Hotels have not being paying suppliers for 6 months or more. Yes, the hotel is part of a larger group but its own performance was not helping. This hotel has not been the first Ghost hotel to go into receivership and with the advent of winter, watch this space now that the summer trading period is over. A lot of hotels continued to trade in the naive assumption tourism numbers would be good this year despite the warnings as far back as last year.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Sorry to disagree, this along with 100's of hotels in the country have been operating at a substantial loss for quite some time, rates alone barely covered overheads and I suspect suppliers had no option to seek the appointment of receivers. In some cases Hotels have not being paying suppliers for 6 months or more. Yes, the hotel is part of a larger group but its own performance was not helping. This hotel has not been the first Ghost hotel to go into receivership and with the advent of winter, watch this space now that the summer trading period is over. A lot of hotels continued to trade in the naive assumption tourism numbers would be good this year despite the warnings as far back as last year.

The receiver was appointed because Ulster Bank had to protect their position when Connolly's development company went into liquidation..

It is NOT part of a chain. However, its management (Dalata Management Services, under a contract for another couple of years with Connolly) also provides management services to other hotel groups.

As I've heard, they had 90% and 94% occupancy rates in recent months. That's effectively a full house in the business.

See here:
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/15775-jobs-are-secure-four-star-hotel-goes-receivership

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

You couldn't be further from the truth, from the CRO website
    Receivership

A company can be placed into Receivership also. When the receivership is complete, the status of the company returns to Normal, unless the company has already been placed in Liquidation. A receiver is usually appointed over a registered charge or by court order in order to take receipt of an asset to satisfy the monies due to the creditor of the company.

There's a list as long as my arm of premises that have gone into receivership and are still trading, the legal entity that was running the premises may be gone but that doesn't mean the trading company can't be replaced.

GPO, Citywest hotel, Heritage Hotel, Whites Hotel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, McManus is wrong.
    Until things changes we will go with what the hotel has said themselves: "A statement says that the hotel continues to trade as normal and that all of the hotel’s 130 full and part-time staff will continue to be employed".
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/15748-troubled-clayton-hotel-goes-receivership

Can we get back to discussing actual empty hotels please.

Xiney wrote: »
    Apparently reading Latin at Oxford does not mean someone knows everything. (fact!)

Yes, I read Latin at Oxford.
    I do not claim to be omniscient.
    However I have; built, bought, and sold businesses including hotels.
    I my experience hotels which are in receivership close.
    They are only run as a going concern by the receiver until the hotel is closed and sold; in order to liquidate the capital which is tied up in them.
    The Clayton Hotel may well continue to trade while in receivership, however this is only temporary; and no indication of its viability.
    The fact is that it will close. The employees will lose their jobs. Then the receiver will market the hotel. If no buyer is found it will remain closed.
    Look around and you will see that this is nothing new. Hotels have been closing since the Celtic Tiger boom ended.
    The hotels go into receivership, then close. Fact.

biko wrote: »
    Ok, McManus is wrong.
    Until things changes we will go with what the hotel has said themselves: "A statement says that the hotel continues to trade as normal and that all of the hotel’s 130 full and part-time staff will continue to be employed".
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/15748-troubled-clayton-hotel-goes-receivership

Can we get back to discussing actual empty hotels please.

I am not wrong.
    I am very close to the Clayton Hotels current developments.
    I will say this; do not believe everything you; hear, see, in the media.
    We all know that the media get their facts wrong, sometimes its deliberate as vested interests control what they report.
    To clarify what is happening here; the receivers wish to portray the Clayton Hotel as a viable going concern so they can close and market it at a higher value. Why would a receiver wish to keep employing staff? It is just marketing. The hotel is the asset to the receiver, not its staff. They are dispensable, and will be when the hotel is closed and sold.
    You will see; you heard it here first. The Clayton Hotel will close. The staff will lose their jobs. This is not speculation, this is fact.
    It is common practice for developers and receivers to manipulate local media to their end. Inevitably there will always be gullible listeners, and readers, who believe everything they hear and see in the news.

I am not wrong.
    I am very close to the Clayton Hotels current developments.
    I will say this; do not believe everything you; hear, see, in the media.
    We all know that the media get their facts wrong, sometimes its deliberate as vested interests control what they report.
    To clarify what is happening here; the receivers wish to portray the Clayton Hotel as a viable going concern so they can close and market it at a higher value. Why would a receiver wish to keep employing staff? It is just marketing. The hotel is the asset to the receiver, not its staff. They are dispensable, and will be when the hotel is closed and sold.
    You will see; you heard it here first. The Clayton Hotel will close. The staff will lose their jobs. This is not speculation, this is fact.
    It is common practice for developers and receivers to manipulate local media to their end. Inevitably there will always be gullible listeners, and readers, who believe everything they hear and see in the news.

in your experience are you talking months or years before this happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

kippy wrote: »
    Jaysus, I would hardly say it is one of the busiest in the city..........one half of the hotel is closed almost all year round.

you'll find its not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Rafael Benitez is that you??:pac:

your delusional Dr McManus, cop yourself on

hondasam wrote: »
    in your experience are you talking months or years before this happens?

That depends on a number of factors.
    Some hotels are sold by receivers as a going concern with no name change, and a full quota of staff. However in practice the fact that the hotel is in receivership by definition means as it is; it is not economically viable without change. Therefore the receiver sells the hotel, often by auction to the highest bidder. Inevitably name and staff changes occur. It can take weeks, it can also take months, or even years to find a buyer. If an appointed receiver believes that by keeping a hotel trading it makes it look more attractive to prospective buyers; it will continue to do so, even at a loss. This is in order to facilitate a quicker liquidation of capital tied up in assets. Generally speaking a closed hotel sells quicker than an occupied (trading) hotel. The main reason for this is that developers can go straight in after completing on contracts. If the hotel is still trading it delays this; and makes it less likely for planners to approve developers plans. I have seen hotels close and reopen with the same trading name, and it be a fluid transaction. The hotel name changes; but little or nothing else. Therefore the public (and media) perception is maintained that the hotel never ceased to trade; therefore never closed. What some people are missing here is that the Clayton Hotel may close and sell, changing hands without being empty and boarded up during the process. The business closes (and reopens under new management). Physically the hotel itself may stay open. However staff will change; this usually means employees of the business losing their jobs. One of the usual changes when a business is acquired is to start the new business with new staff. Therefore making the business more viable. Again this can take weeks or months to happen. With the current property collapse the Clayton Hotel will be quick to close. However it may take some time to find a suitable buyer to liquidate the assets; therefore it may remain closed for some time.

• Advertisement

your delusional Dr McManus, cop yourself on

You are off topic.
    However you are entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is.
    I am many things, delusional is not one of them.
    I have never been afraid to speak my mind, even when my opinion is not shared by the less informed.
    That is the beauty of freedom of speech.
    Calling me names does nothing to contribute to this forum, all you are doing is showing up yourself, no one else.
    My contribution to the forum is starting interesting threads, and making valid points.
    Your contribution is name calling.
    Enough said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

He is like a stuck record. :(

The Clayton is covering Opex and will therefore not close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

That depends on a number of factors.
    Some hotels are sold by receivers as a going concern with no name change, and a full quota of staff. However in practice the fact that the hotel is in receivership by definition means as it is; it is not economically viable without change. Therefore the receiver sells the hotel, often by auction to the highest bidder. Inevitably name and staff changes occur. It can take weeks, it can also take months, or even years to find a buyer. If an appointed receiver believes that by keeping a hotel trading it makes it look more attractive to prospective buyers; it will continue to do so, even at a loss. This is in order to facilitate a quicker liquidation of capital tied up in assets. Generally speaking a closed hotel sells quicker than an occupied (trading) hotel. The main reason for this is that developers can go straight in after completing on contracts. If the hotel is still trading it delays this; and makes it less likely for planners to approve developers plans. I have seen hotels close and reopen with the same trading name, and it be a fluid transaction. The hotel name changes; but little or nothing else. Therefore the public (and media) perception is maintained that the hotel never ceased to trade; therefore never closed. What some people are missing here is that the Clayton Hotel may close and sell, changing hands without being empty and boarded up during the process. The business closes (and reopens under new management). Physically the hotel itself may stay open. However staff will change; this usually means employees of the business losing their jobs. One of the usual changes when a business is acquired is to start the new business with new staff. Therefore making the business more viable. Again this can take weeks or months to happen. With the current property collapse the Clayton Hotel will be quick to close. However it may take some time to find a suitable buyer to liquidate the assets; therefore it may remain closed for some time.

No way! (being polite) The receiver will keep any company in business as long as that business is trading on a day to day basis profitably. In the meantime they will be looking for a buyer for said company. It will be easier to find a buyer if the Profit & Loss looks good. Any other comitments by the present owner will not be considered. There is no reason to assume that 1. A buyer wont be found & 2. Current staff will lose their jobs. Hotel industry is definitely slow at the moment but if a company is making money then there will be buyers

less informed???

i've worked there full time since the doors open in November 2006, i know a hell of alot more about the place and whats going on in it than you do, i still continue to work in the clayton and there's no doubt in my mind that i'll still be working there for the long foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

soundbyte wrote: »
    The receiver was appointed because Ulster Bank had to protect their position when Connolly's development company went into liquidation..

It is NOT part of a chain. However, its management (Dalata Management Services, under a contract for another couple of years with Connolly) also provides management services to other hotel groups.

As I've heard, they had 90% and 94% occupancy rates in recent months. That's effectively a full house in the business.

Wishful thinking and i suspect typical spin from a company that advertised with the radio station mentioned. Not a single hotel in Ireland could boast such occupancy levels, at best Hotels were achieving 60% in the peak months with Rates that clearly barely covered operational costs. In addition i was referring to a larger group (as in its connection to the development side of the company). The only area that has thrived in the Hotel sector during the recession has been these so called management companies who operate under very tight purse strings, various said companies themselves are now in serious difficulty but more to the point suppliers of these UN performing hotels who find themselves not being able to be paid and then having to chase both owners of these Hotels and their management companies.

It is regrettable this Hotel finds itself in this position, sadly its not the only one and certainly will not be the last. The sector is in a real mess right now and one interesting percentage referred to widely in the press is the fact that 90% of hotels either laid off or reduced staff hours in 2009/2010.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

less informed???

i've worked there full time since the doors open in November 2006, i know a hell of alot more about the place and whats going on in it than you do, i still continue to work in the clayton and there's no doubt in my mind that i'll still be working there for the long foreseeable future

i hope it all works out for you. However after reading your post I would suggest you take a look at the news once in a while where various employees of various places are told on any random morning that their jobs will be gone in a month. Sometimes the employees are the last to know.

Its very easy to say that a hotel had 94% occupancy - when half of the hotel is actually closed. If they had closed the whole place except for two rooms and those two rooms were booked then it would have 100% percent occopancy - this is a PR job to make people believe it is still on form. Its not. It wouldn't be gone into receivership if it was doing as well as it is trying to make out.

I tend to agree with Dr Mcmanus on this and will watch and see what happens. And please people, dont' believe the spin doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,595 ✭✭✭✭kippy

less informed???

Its obviously a tough time for you and I dont wish for anyone to lose their jobs. My comments are also based on understanding of the situation and I was/am firmly under the impression that at least half the hotel is closed during the off season and has been so since it was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

duty_calls.png

Sometimes you're better off letting things go...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dr McManus banned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dali art

I've heard that the Sacre Coeur is going to be redeveloped. Probably only another rumour as i'd say they'd have a big problem with parking there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement