Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsorship!!

Options
  • 02-11-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭

There are a lot of threads cropping up of people looking sponsorship, sounds easy enough when reading about it on forums or drink talk down the pub. But really how many people on these threads have succeeded or are still trying?

I thought I would run a Poll.

(multiple answers are ok)

Are you? 43 votes

Sponsored while being on a WHV
    0% 0 votes
    Sponsored from outside Australia (Ireland)
    25% 11 votes
    On a WHV and interested in getting sponsored but not yet successful (1st WHV)
    11% 5 votes
    On a WHV and interested in getting sponsored but not yet successful (2nd WHV)
    16% 7 votes
    On a WHV but not interested in Sponsorship at all
    2% 1 vote
    Interested in getting Sponsored from Ireland
    4% 2 votes
    other
    16% 7 votes
    of the opinion Sponsorship is easy to get
    11% 5 votes
    of the opinion Sponsorship is hard to get
    11% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I got sponsored, wasnt that easy at all. Lots of info to gather, very stressful (mostly becasue i left it pretty late, and i had to get a bridging visa to let me go on holidays too).

Its by no means a walk in the park, but its very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

To be honest, I found the process of getting sponsored for a 457 pretty easy and got my girlfriend on as de facto. Would strongly recommend taking control of your own application, dont leave it in the hands of the company ceo or whatever. Also once the application is lodged online, get the case officer details. You can be dealing direct with them through emails and it is far easier.

Id bring up the sponsorship discussion with a company after a month or so of working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Sponsored from outside of Australia (new zealand) so chose "other"

Sponsorship is not easy...if it were, unemployement rate in ireland would be under 6%
    A bit of cop on, effort, relevant skills and its very doable but then again lots of people lack those basic skills that seperate those who get it to those who "think" its easy yet leave bitter cause they cant get sponsored.

Too much bull$hit being written about this IMO. Pub talk is just that, talk...

Good topic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

padrepio wrote: »
    To be honest, I found the process of getting sponsored for a 457 pretty easy and got my girlfriend on as de facto. Would strongly recommend taking control of your own application, dont leave it in the hands of the company ceo or whatever. Also once the application is lodged online, get the case officer details. You can be dealing direct with them through emails and it is far easier.

The application itself (Completing forms and paperwork) is pretty easy, really a couple of evenings and a few photocopies of stuff and its done.

Finding an eligible willing employer is the hard bit I think, there is big competition for sponsorship these days compared to a few years ago.

BE.com & PomsInOz are full of people looking 457 sponsorship, the same people would have turned their nose up at a temporary visa 2 years ago. But hasn't times changed... they would be glad of anything these days so they can get their foot in the door.
    jank wrote: »

Sponsorship is not easy...if it were, unemployement rate in ireland would be under 6%
    A bit of cop on, effort, relevant skills and its very doable but then again lots of people lack those basic skills that seperate those who get it to those who "think" its easy yet leave bitter cause they cant get sponsored.

Too much bull$hit being written about this IMO. Pub talk is just that, talk...

Good post Jank... must say was thinking along the same lines myself. Some people don't realise that having the correct qualifications or experience will only get you halfway to sponsorship... the other part of the process is the nomination. Some employers just cannot sponsor or only can sponsor 1 or 2, just because an employer says he is willing to sponsor does not mean its going happen.

A friend of a friend missed out a few weeks ago because the Irish construction firm he was working for basically got rejected for the nomination because they already had sponsored 2 Irish lads and didn't employ a single Australian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Depends on the type of sponsorship too though!

I was granted a (provisional) partner visa, where i was sponsored by my other half. We opted to research and compile the application ourselves, and while i wouldn't say it was stressful (not for me anyway ;) ) it was a bit of work, just digging up information, documents, getting things signed and stamped, photocopied.. but it is very do-able.

The problems with employer sponsored visas is, that there's a cost to the employer, be it cash, or time, or commitment. I found aussie employers slightly reluctant to hire untill I'd already worked for some other aussie employer. But after that, if they like you, you're almost part of a family! And if you're a hard worker and valuable to the company, I'm sure they'll have no problem sponsoring you. But they still have to show that they couldn't hire an australian to do the same job..
    I would say that unless you have a skill that's in high demand, employer sponsorship from ireland would be quite difficult, if not impossible. Work in Aus for a year and your chances improve drastically, but aren't guaranteed.

[edit: voted Other]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

I'm sponsored a year now but it took a lot of effort to get the applications through. The main problem I found was the constant changing of requirements by immigration so because of this pub talk is useless. What was relevant for one person at one moment in time will certainly not be relevant for the next.

My original application failed because of the change in regulations, i had to leave and return on a holiday visa as my bridging visa expired. Only thing I'll say is they were decent in letting me lodge the second application for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Listening to people talk about it I thought it would be a walk in the park. Mates here got it easy (child carer, plasterer and builder) -one of them had to work at convincing their boss but when they did it was just the form filling.

Me on the other hand -I'm finding it very frustrating. I've been working with a TV company here for six months and have to finish up at the end of the month. Thought they would have sponsored but to be fair they told me from the start they don't as a policy unless it's an executive role.

I've been scouting around and while there have been a few interested companies none have been willing to sponsor. One said the job was mine only for my visa! Another said they have a policy of employing permanent residents. Not sure how the "prove an Australian can't be found to do the job" technicality applies as I know a mate in Melbourne who got sponsored as a chef in an Aussie bar! I do know the company producing Top Gear here sponsored some English guys and they only got it because they were "familiar with the UK version" but it was a lot of hassle and don't think they're keen to do it again.

As I'm halfway through my WHV the search now is for a sponsor and not a job (for fear I'd get complacent and stay another 6 months). Point is I really want to stay and have to consider all options. One of them is taking up study in here but at 25 I'm not overly gone on the idea. Meeting with an immigration lawyer next week to get a better grasp on things.

There are agencies there that will sponsor you if you find a full-time position but they take a slice of your salary!

Any advice for myself welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

On a side note, am really not keen on doing the regional work for a second WHV but would be weary of forging documents to get it as if it's found out at any stage you can be ordered to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Sponsored at 2am on a Friday morning from the arse end of Ireland. :)

I wouldn't say sponsorship is very easy to get and I realise how lucky I was
    to get it. Saying that I think if you have a niche skillset that isn't readily available out here that you will have no issues getting sponsored job in
    certain trades.

I'd say you have a much higher chance of getting sponsored by working
    out here first and proving yourself to your employer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

On a side note, am really not keen on doing the regional work for a second WHV but would be weary of forging documents to get it as if it's found out at any stage you can be ordered to leave.

yeah many have done that but do you really want to take the risk. To be honest Id say do your 88 days work. Try to get out to one of the mines labouring or something. Have you any mates in Perth with contacts - loads of Irish engineers there at present. At least then you will make proper money.

With regards to your sponsorship - would you chance saying to the company that you will reimburse them for any fees? worth a shot maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 harsh

Hi there,

got my friend and relative over in ireland, can anyone help me the with process to get sponsorship from them.

thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

harsh wrote: »
    Hi there,

got my friend and relative over in ireland, can anyone help me the with process to get sponsorship from them.

thanx
    So you want to emigrate to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 donCORK

I used my WHV 2 years ago and just traveled around having a good time. I am over 30 so I did not qualify for a second year and came home. I would love to leave Ireland now again and Canada next year is an option for me but I'd prefer Oz. I've since qualified as a personal trainer so the out door life in Oz would be preferable. Is it possible to get sponsored from outside Oz if I find an employer? a difficult task I realise and probably a costly one too but I'm curious. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harsh

may be, if get a job over there...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

donCORK wrote: »
    I've since qualified as a personal trainer so the out door life in Oz would be preferable. Is it possible to get sponsored from outside Oz if I find an employer? a difficult task I realise and probably a costly one too but I'm curious. Any help appreciated.

Unfortunately personal trainers isn't an occupation that qualifies for sponsorship.
    In order to be sponsored, you'd have to be a gym manager, and by that I mean you'd have to find a job as a gym manager.
    If you've only just qualified as a PT, then there virtually no chance you'll land a gym manager's position from overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

harsh wrote: »
    may be, if get a job over there...!!!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/

Best of luck.

Advertisement