Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Room

• 02-11-2010 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

I sleep in the attic and I am finding it quite chilly.

There are two little windows, the velux kind

Even after having the heating on for a while, my room is never warm!

The rad is working, was bled last week. It heats up fine, but for once I'd like to walk in and not feel the cold :D

One of the windows has a blind- the other dosn't.

is there anything I can put over the windows, maybe keep more warmth in?

Any suggestions please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

pack fibreglass or newspaper into black bags and stick it to the window.

Better still... leave the attic door open for a couple of hours before going to bed letting all the heat in the house up into it....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Tried leaving the door open.... :( no go I'm afraid..

Don't wanna go down the black bag route is it would look awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i would say you have 2 problems. the window i doubt ( unless you have it open) is not a pint where the heat is escaping.

the back of the walls i would imagine are not insulated and are in a cold roof void.

and also the floor you are standing on may be insulated below it but is still in a vented roof void which may not be adequately insulated.

so basically there is a draft coming through your floor.

i am saying this as i have a bedroom in the attic and i need to do some work on it. i am going to dryline the wall facing the neighbours attic and then insulated the back of the other walls. then (in time) i am going ot lay a wooden floor. with this i was going to put down a plastic sheet to stop the draft coming up throught the floor.

( i had the attic room in the folks house also. and it was primaily the drafty roof void which caused the lack of heat)

I'm renting so I can't do any of that :(

DOH! electric blanket?

• Advertisement

ye but that just does the bed :(

well maybe you try seal the room best you can. maybe you need to bleed mthe radiator?

the radiator in the attic gets most of the air. when you turn on the heating is the whole radiator hot or just the bottom half?

when you not in the room. put a rolled up towel along the bottom of the door and make sure all vents are closed. try and trap most of the heat in .

The Rad was bled the other week. working grand now.

The room just dosn't hold the heat :(

I'll try that :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

talk to (complain nicely) to the person you are renting it from ... it is probably a badly converted attic, it might not even be legal to rent it as a bedroom. see what they say or offer and post back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can buy a 2'x4' piece of polystyrene or aeroboard from builders providers. I think it comes in 1" thick. 2" thick would be better, or you could use two pieces together.

The tighter you can make it fit, the better, obviously.

You can cut this easily with any craft knife or even a kitchen knife, and then wedge it into the space. It will obviously make the room dark but it will look much tidier than a plastic bag.

You can also pull it out temporarily on a sunny day and put it back in again afterwards.

It could be that this will make a difference.

I would not seal the window up like this on a permanent basis. I would be concerned about condensation between the glass and board, although I am not sure if this would be a problem.

• Advertisement

i really dont think that the velux will be the cause of such heat loss. especially if they are double glazed

Advertisement