Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the works of Shakespeare need to date this book

Options
  • 02-11-2010 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

I have recently come in to possession of a book and need some help identifying the age price and location of print and wandered if you could help me or direct me to someone who can. It is an old Shakespeare book which has gold leafed pages almost tissue printed paper. On the first page after the main cover there is a personal inscription written in ink which says the following:

W. parsons. 21
    Nov. 18th c1904

The front cover coincidently is no longer attached as book is very fragile with 1264 pages in total, do you have any ideas about this book or the name written inside the cover?? There is other information on the book is this:

Edited with a glossary, by W. J. Craig, M.A.
    Trinity College Dublin
    Oxford
    At the Clarendon press
    London: Henry frowde
    Oxford University press warehouse, amen corner, e.c.
    New York: 91 & 93, fifth avenue

I have traced the book to your website and although it may not be the very book it’s the best lead I have had so far. I have been trying to find the information on this book and so far I came up with from your site. http://shakespeareauthorship.com/

Oxford the Poet
    The Seventeenth Earl of Oxford was a recognized poet in his own day, and Oxfordians make the most of this fact in their attempts to prove that he actually wrote the works of Shakespeare. However, most Oxfordians work in this area involves highly selective use of evidence, and often reveals a distressing lack of knowledge about Elizabethan poetry in general. In this section we critically examine Oxford's surviving poetry and the conclusions Oxfordians have tried to draw from it.

I also found this on Wikipedia:

The Seventeenth Earl of Oxford was born in 12 April 1550 and died 24 June 1604. If this guy is the author of this book that places the book to be 500 years ago. I know that's jumping the gun somewhat and my wife says I must be mad to think of this but as it’s so late at night id believe aliens wrote it. But I could be a direction to go in or not.

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Has to win the award for the most random post ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Mc Love wrote: »
    Has to win the award for the most random post ever!!
    i have a book its very old and i am hoping some one can help

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tony, try starting a thread in a more appropriate forum.

In the mean time, contact local libraries and museums who might have the expertise you're looking for.

Tony, try starting a thread in a more appropriate forum.

In the mean time, contact local libraries and museums who might have the expertise you're looking for.
    Hi IO cheers for the advice, i dont know where to find this section perhaps you can advise me as to where??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Advertisement

yes thats the job cheers also what thread would i need to go regarding the recent sink holes appearing every where i had an interesting thought id like to share

Sink holes? I really have no idea! :o

If it's a geographical issue, try Environmental Science or the Sustainability & Environmental Issues forum.

If you have a more creative thought about them, then Conspiracy Theories might be the best place for it ;)

Boards also has a very good forum for new posters to ask questions about the site, which may help you get to know your way around. Introduce yourself in the Newbies & FAQ forum and they'll be happy to help you too :)

Sink holes? I really have no idea! :o

If it's a geographical issue, try Environmental Science or the Sustainability & Environmental Issues forum.

If you have a more creative thought about them, then Conspiracy Theories might be the best place for it ;)

Boards also has a very good forum for new posters to ask questions about the site, which may help you get to know your way around. Introduce yourself in the Newbies & FAQ forum and they'll be happy to help you too :)
    Thanks IO found the site in popular science on the site

Advertisement