Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Stalker Call Screening device ?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

When it comes to dealing with a stalker there comes a point when one realises that enough is enough is enough is enough..... The years go by and yet the stalker insists on continually making there presence well known. Junk mail can be binned quite easily but nuisance phone calls are a stressing inconvenience and I need to put an end to them.

Phone numbers have been changed but sooner or later the stalker gets through so I am considering a new approach which is to use some type (if it exists) of call screening device which can block withheld or specific telephone numbers.

Do you know of any devices which may be of use ?

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You've talked to the Guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

Zab wrote: »
    You've talked to the Guards?

Yes, several times over a seven year period, had the stalker cautioned but it makes little difference to a loony obsessive.
    Legally the next step would be to obtain a barring order in court but would that stop the them?, i don't think so, a call screening device is what is required (if it exists)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Ah. I'm afraid I have nothing for you then, except that I'd be very surprised if consumer call screeners/blockers didn't exist. You could also look for a phone that rejected anonymous and blacklisted numbers.

Actually, I see there's this, which seems overpriced. Also, if the person doesn't care about being caught then I guess they could just use a different phone every time (with an unblocked number).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

Great stuff Zab!! I have just been reading the comments from the link and the unit appears to have the functions required, now I must find out if it is compatible with the landline.
    Overpriced? There is no such word when it comes to peace of mind.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

- If trueCall doesn't recognise the caller's number, or the caller withholds their number, it asks them who they are, puts them on hold and only then rings your phone. When you pick-up trueCall tells you who's calling, and you can choose whether to accept the call, get TrueCall to take a message, or Zap the caller - in which case trueCall takes over, asks them to go away, and puts them on your Zap list so they can't disturb you again!
    It's based on caller ID , and the person answering truthfully

mobile phone with distinctive ring ?

can you not just change your phone number - if you've been to the police then eircom should be obliged to at this stage and don't give it out !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

There are alot of open source solutions that can do call screening.
    For landline, you could port your number ot a VOIP provider and then ask them to implement call screening.

Asterisk does call screening and better still you can generate reports :-)
    Theres also a "torture menu" where you can send them into an infinite loop :-D

Advertisement