Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question/Suggestion:The Thread of Man Things - Read MOD post 4

• 01-11-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I want to buy the hubby an electric shaver for Christmas but dont know where to start. He has always wet shaved but has hinted the last while that an electric one would be handy. Dont want to pay a fortune in case it ends up collecting dust on the bathroom shelf.

So anybody out there who uses one - which brand would you suggest and is the foil or other type the best?

Thankful for any help you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

nothing under 100 euro imo

I bought a remington for 160. It was brilliant till i dropped it.

My wife bought me one for 80 euro its ok but crap under the chin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'd say avoid the Braun Cruzer lineup unless he just trims down to stubble, cuts me up whenever I use the foil. :(
    Stupid skin, BE MORE TOUGH! *punches*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Based on a suggestion on the feedback thread Im going to give this a go for a while.

There have been a number of threads over the last few months asking various things from baldness treatments,to haircuts,to moisturisers,to aftershaves to electric razors.

This should now be used as the thread to house any such queries.Its not just for questions though.If a poster has information on bargains when it comes to haircuts,cheap suits,restaurants,a nice marinade recipe,anything really then feel free to post it here.

The cardinal rule however is this not a thread to query whether a bloke likes you,what body type do men like or any other questions about your relationships "from a mans point of view" etc etc etc.Any posts like this will be deleted.

Apart from that the usual boards rules apply.Depending on traffic this thread may be stickied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Smallbit

PaddyJules wrote: »
    I want to buy the hubby an electric shaver for Christmas but dont know where to start. He has always wet shaved but has hinted the last while that an electric one would be handy. Dont want to pay a fortune in case it ends up collecting dust on the bathroom shelf.

So anybody out there who uses one - which brand would you suggest and is the foil or other type the best?

Thankful for any help you can give me.

I was in exactly the same quandary last week when my boyfriend dropped a hint, or so i thought. When i asked him which brand he'd like for Xmas he gave me a look and asked me would I like a toaster.

Apparently shavers (and toasters) aren't proper gifts because they're associated with a mundane morning ritual... :rolleyes:

@OP - He also pointed out that no shaver less than €150 is worth buying - if that's any use...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

pretty difficult thing to buy for somebody else... even buying one for myself I could get the wrong type because they work different ways and sometimes I prefer rotary blade sometimes foil shaver

Usually go for expensive type, but to be honest the mid range (€100+-€20) ones usually work the same, just have a better battery meter or charging stand or cleaning system which is more annoying after a while

for a close shave, rotary probably better than foil type, foil a bit easier on the skin I guess

for closer to a wet shave you can get the philips coolskin electric razors, they're shower proof but they can be harder to keep clean and no pop up sideburn trimmer like the more standard dry type
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4433408.htm

I'd probably be happy with any of the ones below if I was getting one today, depending on what I was willing to pay
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4434263/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+SHAVER.htm
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4431259/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+SHAVER.htm
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4434256/Trail/searchtext%3EREMINGTON.htm

for foil shaver the braun ones seem good
    have something similar to this below, but at the moment I find the rotary type does a better job and quicker too, use the foil razor somedays, rotary the rest of the time
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4434610/Trail/searchtext%3EBRAUN+SHAVER.htm
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4434720/Trail/searchtext%3EBRAUN+SHAVER.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I wouldn't go buying him one tbh. He needs to pick it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Based on a suggestion on the feedback thread Im going to give this a go for a while.

There have been a number of threads over the last few months asking various things from baldness treatments,to haircuts,to moisturisers,to aftershaves to electric razors.

This should now be used as the thread to house any such queries.Its not just for questions though.If a poster has information on bargains when it comes to haircuts,cheap suits,restaurants,a nice marinade recipe,anything really then feel free to post it here.

The cardinal rule however is this not a thread to query whether a bloke likes you,what body type do men like or any other questions about your relationships "from a mans point of view" etc etc etc.Any posts like this will be deleted.

Apart from that the usual boards rules apply.Depending on traffic this thread may be stickied.

If I could get things started, my newish girlfriend told me recently that she thought it was odd that I prefer wearing briefs to boxers. Basically I run / go to the gym a lot and find them way more comfortable. I dont put that much thought in to it but usually buy fairly good brands, calvins etc so its not like they are Dunnes 3 for a €. It isnt the first time that a girl has told me that they prefer blokes to wear boxers. Is it worth changing to keep her happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

It's your underwear, it's what you will be wearing all day everyday, wear what is most comfortable for you.

I have never found boxer shorts to be comfortable and would never start wearing them just to impress someone else. The old fashioned briefs do look nasty though so I prefer boxerjocks, under armour ones while expensive are the business for maximum comfort and I will never be able to go back to normal underwear after buying them.

While the jockey short/brief type undewear may be more aesthetically pleasing,or so im told :P,I just find the dang things too restrictive and my giblets usually feel like they are getting broiled which is a negatory for me.At the end of the day it should be about what you're most comfortable wearing.After all,would she appreciate you asking her to wear dental floss like g-strings all the time.I guess there is no harm compromising and wearing boxers now and again though.Tis important to pick up easy brownie points when ya can.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

What's the best electric shaver/razor thingy out there at the moment?
    Do they have a little charger thing they sit in or do they have to be plugged into a mains themselves?

Think it's time I was nice to my brother and bought him something useful along with the usual ole aftershaves! :pac:

• Advertisement

Hi - this is the only stuff that works for me - (it's very light and completely different from the red and blue ones which are way too industrial) - but I can't seem to find it anywhere in Dublin - has anybody seen it around in a chemist or other shop recently? - cheers. It's the same can as the other ones - except it's purple of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows of gel which compares to this? I'm in Canada atm, and Brylcreem (as far as I can see) isn't sold here. I've got quite thick hair and it's been the one I've used most of the time as it's great for hold. Anybody know of brands to look at over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheHopeful

Don't know about shops but I checked there and its readily available on ebay.ie if your stuck.

cheers - would rather just pick it up in a shop - but true - ebay is always an option. boots used to have it but no more...

feck it - ordered some from ebay - thread can be closed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

All Pharmacies should have it!

I am a blue dax wax man myself and was having serious trouble trying to source it! emailed dax wax and all asking why it was hard to get in ireland and if it was off the market (which i was told) Next thing was i was getting phonecalls from the irish importers reassuring me that it is available at pharmacies and dunnes stores. Tesco have delisted it.

Anyways, I went to the pharmacy and bought the purple one on my last visit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ok i merged a few threads that were suitable for here but it fecked up the order of posts a little... sorry :o

neaideabh wrote: »
    All Pharmacies should have it!

I am a blue dax wax man myself and was having serious trouble trying to source it! emailed dax wax and all asking why it was hard to get in ireland and if it was off the market (which i was told) Next thing was i was getting phonecalls from the irish importers reassuring me that it is available at pharmacies and dunnes stores. Tesco have delisted it.

Anyways, I went to the pharmacy and bought the purple one on my last visit!

you see the blue and red ones in pharmacies a lot but not the purple one. I'd recommend the purple one as it's light and doesn't gunk up your hair and it comes out with just water. the blue and red are too thick and too difficult to wash out if you ask me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Regards the boxers vs briefs thing; isn't it better to wear boxers because anything more restrictive can affect sperm mobility/production?

I'm 90% sure that's a genuine medical fact, and not just something they covered in an episode of Frasier :o

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows of gel which compares to this? I'm in Canada atm, and Brylcreem (as far as I can see) isn't sold here. I've got quite thick hair and it's been the one I've used most of the time as it's great for hold. Anybody know of brands to look at over here?
    I use brylcreem a lot and i have no problem getting it.Dunnes and supervalu have it as well as most pharmacies.VO5 shockwaves is also fairly strong as well though.

• Advertisement

The problem he is having is that he is currently in Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Regards the electric shaver.........watch the argos special offers......some great shavers at half price bringing them into proper bargain territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

jokettle wrote: »
    Regards the boxers vs briefs thing; isn't it better to wear boxers because anything more restrictive can affect sperm mobility/production?

I'm 90% sure that's a genuine medical fact, and not just something they covered in an episode of Frasier :o

i think it only applies if you're actually trying to have a baby. Better chance if you go with boxers AFAIR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If I could get things started, my newish girlfriend told me recently that she thought it was odd that I prefer wearing briefs to boxers. Basically I run / go to the gym a lot and find them way more comfortable. I dont put that much thought in to it but usually buy fairly good brands, calvins etc so its not like they are Dunnes 3 for a €. It isnt the first time that a girl has told me that they prefer blokes to wear boxers. Is it worth changing to keep her happy?

Few women wear their seksey time lingerie all the time. More often then not they are wearing comfy things. Take a leaf from their book and wear what YOU are comfortable wearing most of the time but take the opportunity to dress up for her sake.

You will, in time, come to appricate the freedom of boxers. There comes a point in all our lives when we realise we have outgrown boyish tightywhiteys. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Due to a barber mishap (I dont think i can mention where, but fooked if ill go back), after 2 glorious warm faced years, I'm no longer sporting a beard.

So i was thinking of keeping the clean(ish, its stubbly at the mo) look going for a bit, and thinking about experimenting with a straight razor.

So i'll need to get one. Anyone know of a cheap (preferably sub €70) starters kit for someone like me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

folan wrote: »
    Due to a barber mishap (I dont think i can mention where, but fooked if ill go back), after 2 glorious warm faced years, I'm no longer sporting a beard.

So i was thinking of keeping the clean(ish, its stubbly at the mo) look going for a bit, and thinking about experimenting with a straight razor.

So i'll need to get one. Anyone know of a cheap (preferably sub €70) starters kit for someone like me?
    The Facial Hair and Hats Forum have numerous threads on stright edge shaving and availability of razors.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

jokettle wrote: »

You know I read something about this the other day that basically said this was a myth, one study supported the claim but every other study done since says there is no difference but I can't for the life of me remember where I read it or find it again.

Basically it said restrictive underwear can lead to a slightly lower sperm count but it is the weakest sperm that would never make it to impregnate an egg anyway as it would be the strongest swimmers so it has not effect on fertility or production, just thinning the weak from the heard really.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Hi

I'm fairly fair skinned and I have fairly dark facial hair. I have a bit of a problem with shaving, I've tried shaving in the sink or in the shower and either way it doesn't seem to make a difference I always end up with kind of visible stubble on the goatee area whether i shave with or against the grain. This is not 5o'clock shadow, I basically have 5o'clock shadow as soon as I finish shaving!

Has anyone any suggestions on how I can reduce this? If it helps I use a Gillette Fusion Power razor and Total Shaving Solution.

Thanks
    Regards
    Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nowayout

Hey guys, I recently was chatting to girl on Monday, she was lost and was looking for O'Connell Street and i was heading that way, we were chatting all the way from Molsworth Street, got to know her a bit, very attractive girl. When i walked her to O'Connell street i asked her for her number and we exchanged numbers, and was texting and she told me that she was going on a trip to see relatives yesterday afternoon and will be back in a week. We were both texting each other up until she boarded her flight. I asked before she left did she want to meet up and go on date when she got back. I was surprised to hear back that she would be up for meeting up on a date.

so i'm asking whats a good first date?
    I find the cinema very cliche and childish, any good ideas
    Both live in south dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

(a) Coffee
    (b) Clay pigeon shooting

clay pigeon shooting no no, i'd be an evening we'd be meeting up and I work weekends so it'd be just weekdays which i know sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

A comedy club in a pub. Something like The International Bar.

I dunno if she likes comedy, i hope she does as i am a big fan of comedy. would pool be a good date, easy to talk to not to loud, and get to teach her how to play, and a 2nd date could be possible like who ever loses cooks on our next date? or would that be a bit to much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Comedy clubs are great, really get people in a good mood which helps them open up, it has drink, and isn't a gammy pub or club so is perfect.

Cinema is rubbish, 2 hours of no talking, waste of time.

Recently I brought a girl to Fibbers, a rocker bar, she'd never been in such a place in her life, I sold it on the novelty, cheap drink, good atmosphere and that its something interesting and different.

It went brilliantly, we were there since infact.

Anywhere interesting where you can talk, and have a distraction if necessary, but not the cinema.

Weird, fun, unusual, impulsive, these are the things you want, BTW, Fibbers is only good on a thursday, but the comedy club would be good, be sure to be friendly to other people too, takes the pressure off her and you look the shiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Frogdog wrote: »
    A comedy club in a pub. Something like The International Bar.

Great spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'd agree with going for coffee as a first date. Either party can easily cut it short if needs be. :)

I use brylcreem a lot and i have no problem getting it.Dunnes and supervalu have it as well as most pharmacies.VO5 shockwaves is also fairly strong as well though.
    nedtheshed wrote: »
    The problem he is having is that he is currently in Canada.

Indeed, but cheers for the reply anyway whada.

So, anybody know of any decent North American hair gel brands? Extra strong hold types?

nowayout wrote: »
    Hey guys, I recently was chatting to girl on Monday, she was lost and was looking for O'Connell Street and i was heading that way, we were chatting all the way from Molsworth Street, got to know her a bit, very attractive girl. When i walked her to O'Connell street i asked her for her number and we exchanged numbers, and was texting and she told me that she was going on a trip to see relatives yesterday afternoon and will be back in a week. We were both texting each other up until she boarded her flight. I asked before she left did she want to meet up and go on date when she got back. I was surprised to hear back that she would be up for meeting up on a date.

so i'm asking whats a good first date?
    I find the cinema very cliche and childish, any good ideas
    Both live in south dublin

Hi nowayout,Ive merged your thread into the ask a question thread.Just as an FYI,tGC is now searchable so there are a few threads from the last few months regarding the same subject if you want to get other ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Quick question:

What do you guys think is the best hair gel out there at the moment? I'm looking for something that's strong hold without using wax.

Anything I use at the moment doesn't seem to hold at all....

Edit: Great it got moved - I'll never get the question answered now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Has anyone any tips for preventing greasy hair?

I used to at one stage only have to wash my hair 3 times a week but now I have to wash it every day as it becomes greasy very quickly.

Is there any really good shampoos out there that help? or even any methods?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Shane732 wrote: »
    Quick question:

What do you guys think is the best hair gel out there at the moment? I'm looking for something that's strong hold without using wax.

Anything I use at the moment doesn't seem to hold at all....

Edit: Great it got moved - I'll never get the question answered now!

Brylcreem Ultra Strong Hold, the purple one. My hair's incredibly thick and that's the only gel that holds it properly.

Still looking for something for myself btw lads, see above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Haircuts €5 Mon to Wed in Lucan. Opposite the school going up the hill past Ulster Bank.

Advertisement