Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity not working in section of house

Options
  • 02-11-2010 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi folks,
    made a huge mistake last night. i removed one of those lights\shaver socket thingyy's from over the mirror in the bathroom last night. i did it without turning off the power! i know i am an idiot for doing it! anyway all was going well and i was very careful in slowly pulling the unit carefully away from the electrical wires coming out of the wall. at the last movement i managed to graze one of the wires and the lights went out in the room. I went downstairs to the switch box but no switches were tripped which i found strange! as it turns out 3 of the 5 rooms upstairs do not have power! 2 brown wires and 2 blue wires were exposed in the bathroom. the 2 blue wires were touching so i thought that might be it. i turned off the power this time (lesson learned) and separated these 2 wires and then put duct tap around each of the 4 exposed wires. i then turned on the power but still no joy as 3 rooms do not have power.
    If anyone can advise me on what to do it would be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you've prob broken the lighting radial cct at the shaver light-assuming there's nothing tripped

you'll prob have to rejoin the 2 blues and rejoin the 2 browns after safely isolating

or get a sparkie to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Definetly sounds like a broken link, as stated above, the two blues need to be joined together and two browns need to be joined together using suitable connector blocks. Or as said get a sparks in to do it, cheap enough job and it will be done correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭purerandom

thanks for the responses folks, appreciate it.
    I have a connector block as it happens. do i just stick in the 2 blue wires til they touch, then tighten the screws? then do the same for the 2 brown wires?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Yes, make sure the mains is off when you do this, and tape up the connector blocks with insulating tape

will do, thanks a mil for the help

• Advertisement

job done, everything back to normal, thanks guys.

Advertisement