Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 1000D Problem

• 02-11-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope someone can help. I am having an issue with my camera, where it either wont turn on, or turns off for no reason, with the red light flashing. The only way to power back on is to remove the lens and put back on again. However this only works for a couple of minutes and then powers off again. This happens regardless of battery charge or whats lens i have connected.

Any ideas?

Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Hi,

A few questions:
    Try shooting without your SD card in the camera or with another one and let us know does the same fault occur?

If so then is it under warranty?

Could it possibly be from water/moisture exposure?
    even being outside in the cold and coming into a warm house and turning it on could cause condensation if the camera wasnt let adjust to room temperature before hand.
    If you think it is water damage and are under warranty then it will not be covered unfortunately.

can you link a certain time/what you were doing when it started to happen?

I do repairs if you were interested in me having a look give me a PM for details :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Does the camera stay on if you turn it on with the lens NOT attached?

Have you tried it with another lens?

If it stays on either with the lens off, or with a different lens on it, then you might have a short in the circuitry of your lens, and the camera should detect that and shut off to protect it's internal circuitry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I started to have probes when I swapped out the stock lens with my Sigma 200-400. It was outside on a dry day. Issue happens regardless of what lens is on. I suspect a short somewhere. I haven't had a change to try the things you suggested. Where are you based?

no problem :)

I see, it may be a short as heebie suggested or another fault but would definitely require some testing to determine what that fault may be.
    Ill PM you my details now.

If it happens with either lens, it's probably something in the camera.

When you put the lens on did it feel like it just didn't want to go on right, or make any unusual noises?

It could be that a faulty circuit in one of the lenses damaged a circuit inside the camera.

You should definitely try the little troubleshooting bits that people have mentioned before proceeding..the more information you have the better.

GavinH wrote: »
    Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I started to have probes when I swapped out the stock lens with my Sigma 200-400. It was outside on a dry day. Issue happens regardless of what lens is on. I suspect a short somewhere. I haven't had a change to try the things you suggested. Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

HI Guys,

After reseating sd card and battery, it seems to be working okay again with all lenses. The battery compartment wasn't fully closed, could that have been the issue?
    Thanks for all the help.

Well.. if that fixed it.. I'd have to say it's a definite maybe! ;)

HI Guys,

After reseating sd card and battery, it seems to be working okay again with all lenses. The battery compartment wasn't fully closed, could that have been the issue?
    Thanks for all the help.

HI Guys,

Thanks for all the help.

If the battery compartment is open the camera will not turn on, this could have been the cause although this could have been a coincidence.
    If in a few days it remains in working condition then then the battery door was probably the problem.

Glad you got it sorted so far. Its always best to mess around with combisnations of equipment to see what is at fault or at what part of the camera is causing the fault.

You are lucky it was something so simple as the symptoms were pointing to something a lot worse. :)

Advertisement