Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Sky install - Prewired new build

• 02-11-2010 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

Hey Lads,

I have a new house just built and ordered sky to be installed next week. My home has hi-spec wiring pre-installed to every room with CAT 5/CO-AX/HDMI all running to a source in the attic.

Questions - I cannot get through to anyone in Sky who is even remotely technical

1. Will sky link into the pre-wired cables or will they insist on doing their standard install by drilling a hole in the wall and laying new cable? (not an option for me due to air tight home).

2. Can I pipe the sky signal to other rooms and use freesat in other rooms using the sky dish? Can some suggest the equipment I need for this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Rippy

First of all contact a reputable independent installer. He will organize your sky contract for you and do the job properly.
    Check
    WWW.ISAA.TV or the supplier sticky at the top of the page. Or ask locally for recommendations.
    It would have been better to consult before the house was pre-wired to ensure that the right number and spec of cables were put in,but obvously have to work with what's there now.
    Contacting Sky is a waste of time. They will send somebody out who possibly will not be allowed to enter your attic and does not have the skills or training to do anything other than a standard install (often badly)
    No problem using same dish for sky and freesat.
    Better to get a quality dish that will last like a Triax TD64 or TD78.
    He will advise you on this.
    As long as the correct cabling has been installed there should be no need for external cabling.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

+1
    Proper Excellent Advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Hey thanks for that, I will ring around some of them numbers. I spoke to a couple of local lads and they wanted in excess of €1200 to do the work, trouble is that the house is large and modern and they think we have money to burn :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

krissovo wrote: »
    I spoke to a couple of local lads and they wanted in excess of €1200 to do the work,

For a pre wired house thats unreal

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

they want 1,200 euro to hook up a sky box that has all the cables sitting pretty waiting for them already...?

they literally plug in the 2 coax cables and then the hdmi cable into the sky box, job done..........

setting up the tv to be routed to other rooms is not too difficult either

that is unreal :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

BArra wrote: »
    they literally plug in the 2 coax cables and then the hdmi cable into the sky box, job done..........

Theres more to it than that but the price does seem excessive at face value.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

Not 110% on what you want to do but if you just wish to have a Sat feed to each co-ax cable then all you need is

a) A good quality dish and a Quattro Lnb, A Multiswitch with 5 in and x amount out.

This will then give you Horizontal high/low on 2 inputs and Vertical High/Low on two and then Terrestrial/Fm/Dab etc if you wish on the fifth diplexed if you wished.

You will then need to place triplexed/diplexed faceplates in each room.

Also I hope that you have more than one co-ax cable in each room to allow for PVR functions etc. (a stacker/destacker will be needed if not)

b) Again good quality dish and then an Octo LNB this will have 8 outputs which you will wire directly to each cable you require Sat on.

If you wish to watch Sly in diff rooms via eyes eyes etc then a completely diff setup may be needed can you please specify exactly what your after.

edit: If you wired every room with sat feed and aerial (depending on location) and Fm and triplexed faceplates etc it would add up but not to 1200 quid,

You may have asked for HDMI extenders etc that do cost some euros

Where you live ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

Tony wrote: »
    Theres more to it than that but the price does seem excessive at face value.

Tonys right a hell of alot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Hi Cauliflower, thanks for your response, it sounds like what I am after in that all I want is satellite feed and not send the sky through eyes. I will use FTA or Freesat in the other rooms.

I have two types of TV point:
    The High spec points have
    4x COAX -
    2x HDMI
    1x Scart
    2x CAT6
    1x CAT5 (phone)

The low spec have 2x COAX, 1xCat6, 1x Cat5

I am starting to ring around the contacts in the sticky and canceled the sky instillation.

Edit: I am based in Cork near Fermoy

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

krissovo wrote: »

Edit: I am based in Cork near Fermoy

Try www.signalsolutions.tv based in cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement