Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcing when socket is switched off

Options
  • 02-11-2010 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I noticed yesterday that one of the sockets in my kitchen was arcing when the switch was flicked to turn it off, i.e. I could see a brief flash of electricity jumping inside the small gap where the switch is. As I've had numerous problems with the shoddy electrical work done in my house, I'm worried that someone could get a shock. Should I take the faceplate off and check the wiring or is it ok and should be left alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Hi Dave, sounds like there could be a loose connection on the terminals itself, if your any way confident you could remove the socket (with the mains off) and check and tighten the connections. Although you say the flash is coming from the switch itself it could be a fault socket or a cheap brand which i would highly recommend replacing with a new one as the arching would have damaged and worn down the contacts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

All switches arc a little when operated with a load on the switch when its switched off as its interupting the load current , what is plugged into the socket when you are switching it off? If nothing is plugged in then there is a connection problem in the socket terminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

This socket is mostly used when the iron is plugged in to it so that would be placing a heavy enough load on the socket, wouldn't it? What now, leave it be or take it off and check the connections?

This socket is mostly used when the iron is plugged in to it so that would be placing a heavy enough load on the socket, wouldn't it? What now, leave it be or take it off and check the connections?

I would`t see anything majorly abnormal about seeing a flash in the socket switch if your interrupting the iron load anyway. In generat socket switches would probably be turned off on light loads such as tv`s etc, or no load. Maybe better sockets with better contacts would reduce the arc or make it less visible through the switch gaps but there will always be some arcing when breaking any load. I would leave as is for now anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I would`t see anything majorly abnormal about seeing a flash in the socket switch if your interrupting the iron load anyway. In generat socket switches would probably be turned off on light loads such as tv`s etc, or no load. Maybe better sockets with better contacts would reduce the arc or make it less visible through the switch gaps but there will always be some arcing when breaking any load. I would leave as is for now anyway.

And maybe just to minimize wear-and-tear on the socket, if possible turn the iron itself off before the socket switch - but maybe it doesn't have a switch, I'm not the most familar with the ol irons :D

• Advertisement

And maybe just to minimize wear-and-tear on the socket, if possible turn the iron itself off before the socket switch - but maybe it doesn't have a switch, I'm not the most familar with the ol irons :D

Go way out of that your probably ironin every day:D

But yea thats a good point alright, can turn down the stat on the iron so it is off before switching off socket, and no arcing in the socket switch then,

Advertisement