Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got parking tickets at county finals?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

gizmo73 wrote: »

I was parked 10 min walk away on far side of taylors hill and got ticket.Half on path you would easily fit 7 people wide, and half on road where you easily fit 3 fire trucks wide.......Obstruction i think not

If the road was so wide you needn't have parked on the path, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I was parked 10 min walk away on far side of taylors hill and got ticket.Half on path you would easily fit 7 people wide, and half on road where you easily fit 3 fire trucks wide.......Obstruction i think not
    so what did your parking ticket say? what was your offence?
    do you think you were parked legally?
    it's illegal to park on footpaths no matter if you're only half parked on it

most of taylors hill is very narrow and akward to drive down at the best of times, I can't think of anywhere as wide as to easily fit 7 people wide on the foothpath and easily fit 3 fire trucks wide on the road as you described

and if people were doing the same on the other side of the road then there certainly wasn't room for emergency services

I realise that you posted to see if other people got ticketed but you are trying to defend yourself by saying you weren't causing an obstruction so it sounds like you feel wronged :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

You will get a ticket for parking up on a foothpath anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Gizmo - what path is this and where is it that would fit that amount of people? I deal with a disabled person and regularly encounter problems in Galway due to ignorance of people parking on paths so would love to know where this one is.

Dessie23 - why rely on local media to inform you how to park correctly? Rules are rules wherever you go and it's common courtesy to adhere to them.

When you receive your driving licence you sign to say you are aware of the rules of the road (plenty of publications of them). These rules include:
    it's an offense to park on a footpath
    it's an offense to park on a grass verge

So what is the argument here?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And damage to the kerb / footpath / grass verge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

magentas wrote: »
    most of taylors hill is very narrow and akward to drive down at the best of times, I can't think of anywhere as wide as to easily fit 7 people wide on the foothpath and easily fit 3 fire trucks wide on the road as you described

and if people were doing the same on the other side of the road then there certainly wasn't room for emergency services

I realise that you posted to see if other people got ticketed but you are trying to defend yourself by saying you weren't causing an obstruction so it sounds like you feel wronged :confused:

Oh i give up. If people read initial posts they will see i wasn`t giving out so much about getting the ticket- the reason i said where i parked is because people are going on about footpath access and emergency services being blocked(I parked on Bishop O Don rd). Im only stating a point that not all tickets issued were for this reason. It was a clampdown. I`m not debating legal/illegal. I just think it would be fair if these `rules` would be carried out all the time and not just to prove a point. Would you see tickets being issued in any place outside the city for a game?? Athenry a few weeks back had cars parked on the side of road the whole way in, housing estates, a field someone had opened free of charge, the guards were on road controlling traffic, was there any problems here, not one.
    The effect of all this- a lot of people will not be travelling back to the replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

@gizmo73 I feel you are being slightly disingenuous in saying that you're "not debating legal/illegal".

You go on to refer to " 'rules' " and seem to suggest that there was no problem with illegally parked cars in Athenry during a match a few weeks ago.

Why put 'rules' in single quotes like that? Could it have anything to do with Ireland's long-established culture of ignoring all sorts of laws and regulations, which after all are there for the public good?

You are right on one point: "I just think it would be fair if these `rules` would be carried out all the time and not just to prove a point." The Garda Siochana carries a large part of the responsibility for our cultural laxity in relation to compliance with traffic & parking law. If they are not fair and consistent in their enforcement, the net effect is to normalise non-compliance, which in turn leads to consternation on the rare occasions when the law is rigorously applied. Traffic and parking law ought to be enforced consistently and visibly all the time, with deterrence and not 'detections' as the main aim.

Curious that many GAA fans' reaction to the recent blitz on illegal parking around Pearse Stadium is that they won't go to another match there. This kind of petulant hissy fit suggests a poor attitude towards behaving responsibly on the road, as well as a fair-weather attitude towards supporting the GAA and its many thriving clubs. I would have thought that the more adult response would be to consciously separate the two: continue to support the GAA and its clubs and resolve to park legally and considerately in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

dessie23 wrote: »
    What about cars that were parked that were causing no obstruction? I was parked on the grass not disrupting residents or anyone else and the only reason I got a ticket is because the guards had nothing better to do.

Can I come park on your grass/lawn? Would you be annoyed if I did without asking?

Would the guards have "nothing better to do" if they responded to your complaint and ticketed me?

Is "public" grass, left destroyed and muddy by inconsiderate lazy louts who park on it less important than your grass/lawn?

Cop on.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    @gizmo73 I feel you are being slightly disingenuous in saying that you're "not debating legal/illegal".

You go on to refer to " 'rules' " and seem to suggest that there was no problem with illegally parked cars in Athenry during a match a few weeks ago.

Why put 'rules' in single quotes like that? Could it have anything to do with Ireland's long-established culture of ignoring all sorts of laws and regulations, which after all are there for the public good?

You are right on one point: "I just think it would be fair if these `rules` would be carried out all the time and not just to prove a point." The Garda Siochana carries a large part of the responsibility for our cultural laxity in relation to compliance with traffic & parking law. If they are not fair and consistent in their enforcement, the net effect is to normalise non-compliance, which in turn leads to consternation on the rare occasions when the law is rigorously applied. Traffic and parking law ought to be enforced consistently and visibly all the time, with deterrence and not 'detections' as the main aim.

Curious that many GAA fans' reaction to the recent blitz on illegal parking around Pearse Stadium is that they won't go to another match there. This kind of petulant hissy fit suggests a poor attitude towards behaving responsibly on the road, as well as a fair-weather attitude towards supporting the GAA and its many thriving clubs. I would have thought that the more adult response would be to consciously separate the two: continue to support the GAA and its clubs and resolve to park legally and considerately in future.

Best first post I've seen in a long time. Agree with each and every point.

churchview wrote: »
    Best first post I've seen in a long time. Agree with each and every point.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 dessie23

Can I come park on your grass/lawn? Would you be annoyed if I did without asking?

Would the guards have "nothing better to do" if they responded to your complaint and ticketed me?

Is "public" grass, left destroyed and muddy by inconsiderate lazy louts who park on it less important than your grass/lawn?

Cop on.

I wasn't going to bother replying anymore to this thread until you started trying to twist my words and making nonsensical assumptions.

You are taking about coming and parking on private property, and therefore the Gardai responding to a complaint about tresspassing, different from a parking ticket.

I drive an Astra, not an 18 wheeler, no public grass was either destroyed or muddy.

Iwannahurl I agree with a lot of what you say, if it's going to be strictly enforced at matches lets have it everywhere-outside churches, funerals, etc., not the Gardai to say it's grand 364 days of the year but you're getting a ticket on the 365th.

On your other point about people not going to Pearse anymore, 95% will probably be there Sunday week. Probably just a few empty threats when they were angry. However, fans are angry with the GAA for developing the stadium in its present location because it is a nightmare to get to from the east side of the city, like all 4 teams had to do the last day. And when they have a full house(although rare), is St. Enda's going to be able to take all the cars?

You are taking about coming and parking on private property, and therefore the Gardai responding to a complaint about tresspassing, different from a parking ticket.

I drive an Astra, not an 18 wheeler, no public grass was either destroyed or muddy.

So public property isn't as important or worthy of respect as your private property? Vandalism is vandalism.

Thanks for getting out and confirming before you drove off that "no public grass was either destroyed or muddy."

'Trespassing' on public property, by which I mean parking on grass verges and footpaths etc, is also an offence. To quote the TV Licence enforcers (who jailed 54 people for breaking the law in 2008) "we've heard all the excuses and none of them work".

Colaiste Einde say they can take 400 cars on a good day, which I think is conservative. See attached photo. Enda's grounds outlined in red. During a big match in June (when there was illegal parking on a massive scale in the area, on footpaths, pedestrian crossings, cycle lanes and junctions) the number of cars parked in the school grounds was only a fraction of capacity. Approximate amount of parking space used outlined in green.

To repeat, we've heard all the excuses and none of them work.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

I`ve created a monster. Can`t wait for the replay

I`ve created a monster. Can`t wait for the replay

I know that feeling! ;)

swe_fi wrote: »
    Now do this outside churches as well please

And schools.

So public property isn't as important or worthy of respect as your private property? Vandalism is vandalism.

Thanks for getting out and confirming before you drove off that "no public grass was either destroyed or muddy."

Well the public owe you a huge debt for checking where I parked and confirming that it was "vandalised". Do you think that I hadn't to get in and out of the car, therefore not being able to see the ground that I hadd driven on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The ground was wet where you parked up on grass, you may therefore take the vandalism as a given ....even if you did not spin a wheel on takeoff :D

I was told today the reason for the crackdown was because a guard and all his neighbours were blocked completely into the Maples during last years hurling final....by Portumna fans allegedly. This crackdown was planned for their benefit but the hoors never showed up having unexpectedly lost the semi.

It also appears that parking during football finals is not as retarded as parking during hurling finals.

'Trespassing' on public property, by which I mean parking on grass verges and footpaths etc, is also an offence. To quote the TV Licence enforcers (who jailed 54 people for breaking the law in 2008) "we've heard all the excuses and none of them work".

Colaiste Einde say they can take 400 cars on a good day, which I think is conservative. See attached photo. Enda's grounds outlined in red. During a big match in June (when there was illegal parking on a massive scale in the area, on footpaths, pedestrian crossings, cycle lanes and junctions) the number of cars parked in the school grounds was only a fraction of capacity. Approximate amount of parking space used outlined in green.

To repeat, we've heard all the excuses and none of them work.

Would you agree that it's(the pitch) in a bad location? This might have been the straw that broke the camel's back, for fans. A blind eye was turned to parking for years and still is in many places. This is probably one inconvenience too many.It makes a lot more hassle to go to a match there now.

What I'm talking about in this post is some fans who say the won't go to Pearse again, not the legality/morality of the parking.

We don't want to see them in Pearse until they learn how to park. If they wish to provide us with a grand display of al fresco abandonmentness dressed up as 'parking' then the best place to hold a final is Athenry where there basically is no parking and everybody has to be a retard. They would probably park on the ****ing motorway knowing some of them :(

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We don't want to see them in Pearse until they learn how to park. If they wish to provide us with a grand display of al fresco abandonmentness dressed up as 'parking' then the best place to hold a final is Athenry where there basically is no parking and everybody has to be a retard. They would probably park on the ****ing motorway knowing some of them :(

In fairness most don't want to be seen again in Pearse as it's a nightmare for traffic as well but that's where all the matches are. Most would prefer Athenry, Loughrea, B'sloe, etc.

Athenry is a nightmare, Loughrea is somewhat better as are Ballinasloe and Tuam but do not have parking for 10,000 people.

Pearse is easy as long as you accept you may have to walk 10 minutes each way. The bonus is that you are beyond the traffic jams nearer the staium and you lost not time.

Save for finals you can normally park legally within 5 minutes walk of Pearse...something you cannot do in Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

In fairness most don't want to be seen again in Pearse as it's a nightmare for traffic as well but that's where all the matches are. Most would prefer Athenry, Loughrea, B'sloe, etc.

Refer it to the GAA.

Someone else's problem is their motto though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would have thought that the more adult response would be to consciously separate the two: continue to support the GAA and its clubs and resolve to park legally and considerately in future.

Brilliant post.

The only thing I'd add is that a third adult response would be to lobby local GAA officials to actually implement the parking measures that they promised last time they got planning permission for doing something at the stadium.

JustMary wrote: »
    Brilliant post.

The only thing I'd add is that a third adult response would be to lobby local GAA officials to actually implement the parking measures that they promised last time they got planning permission for doing something at the stadium.

Agreed, but I'd go further.

If the GAA were granted the planning permission subject to providing parking, and they haven't provided that parking, is it not incumbent on the Local Authority (acting in its capacity as the Planning Authority), to prosecute the GAA for its lack of compliance?

The GAA didn't make a mere promise. Their development was subject to legally binding conditions.

@churchview What!? You want Galway City Council to actually enforce planning conditions on a high-status body like the GAA? Have you taken leave of your senses? Where do you think you are -- in a modern European country or something? Get a grip on yourself!

FYI, a senior City Council official (not in Planning) has recently indicated, on the record, that parking law enforcement may be justifiably put on hold at "large gatherings". That's a verbatim quote.

Perhaps the Council's 'Planning' department (an oxymoronic concept generally in this here Republic) may have similar views. In which case, planning conditions are meaningless and are more likely to be honoured in the breach than in the observance.

I suspect that the deliberate non-enforcement of traffic and parking laws (heretofore) is part and parcel of an official tendency to let the GAA off the hook regarding the mess that is Pearse Stadium.

A theory. Rampant illegal parking, especially on footpaths, has been allowed to occur because it acts as a safety valve to relieve pressure on the Council, AGS and GAA to actually devise a permanent and sustainable traffic management solution.

Likewise with enforcement of planning conditions. That might force the authorities to act decisively and responsibly, and we can't have that. Where would it all end?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, why can't local clubs organise coaches from the club ground to the stadium? Tag a few euros onto the price of **all** tickets including those that drive and have the price of the coach covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

well stroy is not to park wrong next time you come in to salthill , the Garda Siochana will be out again next sunday .... and again taken Photos ....

Victor , you asked , damage to the kerb / footpath / grass verge?
    Grass was , on both out side both st enda schools and down by deven park area

blitz on illegal parking around Pearse Stadium will go on as you will hear again this week coming . pity people just dont do what the rules ask ...

and do watch out for the Speed Van i say that be around aswell ...

Dont Park on the paths , on the Grass , where yelleow Lines and near Junctions

No fline then

Advertisement