Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when bills/debt collectors turn up for previous tenant?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I keep getting bills and debt collectors turning up at my place for previous tenant and it's getting frustrating , is there any way to stop this? and do utility companies have a process for dealing with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

return them without a stamp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Yep, just cross out the address on the mail, write something like "Not at this address - return to sender" on them and dump them back in to the post. I was getting a ton of mail (most of it looked like bills too) for the previous tenants when I moved in to my current place... Kept returning it and after almost a year, most companies have ceased (except UPC, which doesn't seem to get the picture :mad: - even though my account with them is registered to the same address... so surely they should be able to tell someone else is at the address in question now).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

For the obvious bills (where you can see the company name on the envelope or recognise the bill) I would ring the companies accounts department and explain that they are no longer at this address. The reason I would suggest this is that if it is a utility that you are still using (ESB, UPC etc) then they may cut you off without realising the problem. A quick phonecall will usually take care of it.

For everything else just return to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

djimi wrote: »
    For the obvious bills (where you can see the company name on the envelope or recognise the bill) I would ring the companies accounts department and explain that they are no longer at this address.

I rang 3mobile and tried to do this , they took my details and I got a call from England , they said the bills will keep turning up till he pays them even though he's not living there and then suggested that if I see him out and about that I should tell him that he should pay the money owed to 3 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Haha fools! I told anyone I called that the previous tenants had gone home to Poland (which they had) so I presume they realised they would be only wasting their time and paper to persist in sending them letters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement