Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Soliders that fought with British Army

• 02-11-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,
    I'd really apreciate a bit of help with this 1.
    I know my Dad's Uncle died around 1916 fighting for the British Army. He was Irish, only 14 but told the British Army that he was 17 so he could sign up. Ive heard a lot of people did that in those days.
    He died while fighting abroad in France.
    Ive been on the net for weeks now trying to find something as to where he was buried or otherwise. An old relative told me that his name was inscribed on a Monument somewhere in France for the fallen soldiers.
    Can anyone give me a good site where I can actually get names of the soldiers? Every site Ive been on, doesnt actually give a whole list of the names.

Thank You
    xx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission should be of assistance. They have an online database where you can search by name and service. If that doesn't find your grandfather you could try contacting them directly.

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14&searchFor=casualty

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Murrayer22

Thanks for your help concussion.
    Thats one of the sites I was already on. Ive just spent the last few hours going through it again, so Ive contacted them.
    Fingers crossed they'll be able to help me.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Murrayer22 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'd really apreciate a bit of help with this 1.
    I know my Dad's Uncle died around 1916 fighting for the British Army. He was Irish, only 14 but told the British Army that he was 17 so he could sign up. Ive heard a lot of people did that in those days.
    He died while fighting abroad in France.
    Ive been on the net for weeks now trying to find something as to where he was buried or otherwise. An old relative told me that his name was inscribed on a Monument somewhere in France for the fallen soldiers.
    Can anyone give me a good site where I can actually get names of the soldiers? Every site Ive been on, doesnt actually give a whole list of the names.

Thank You
    xx

My Granduncle died in 1917 with the 1st battalion Irish Guards at Passchendale. He has no grave like many WW1 soldiers and is commemerated on a panel of the Ypres (Menin gate) Memorial with 54,391 other soldiers. You will need his full name and year of death. Then go to
    http://www.cwgc.org/
    You will find many details there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

drop in the WW1 forum. If you can give his name, any family names, county he was from etc you'll get some help in pin pointing his rank, serial no, regt etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MajorMax wrote: »
    My Granduncle died in 1917 with the 1st battalion Irish Guards at Passchendale. He has no grave like many WW1 soldiers and is commemerated on a panel of the Ypres (Menin gate) Memorial with 54,391 other soldiers. You will need his full name and year of death. Then go to
    http://www.cwgc.org/
    You will find many details there.

I've been to Ypres a couple of times (I used to play for the CWGC's football team) and the Menin Gate is amazing. The last post that is played there every evening is incredibly moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

PM me and I should be abe to help you.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Murrayer22

Thanks for all your help everyone.
    The websites have been a real help.
    MajorMax, checked out the website but Im sure he was buried in France, just outside Paris somewhere and like your Granduncle, his name is on a memorial there. Just havent been able to locate it.
    I'll keep trying

Thanks again
    x

Advertisement