Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS and Epilipsy

Options
  • 02-11-2010 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi there, i have MS (relapse and remitting) for 8 years now and have been doing well up to now, just one major relapse in 2008. last week i was diagnosed with epilepsy also - i had seen my consultant 2 months ago and described a new set of symptoms i had been feeling and she said it sounds like epilepsy - i had an eeg done and last week she confirmed it. i am not having grand mal seizures, but more petit mal ones. i have been perscribed tegratol retard as a treatment. i have also been advised by her
    to contact my driving insurance company and this is making me nervous. i need to drive to work and would be devastated if they stopped me from driving, i might be over reacting here but cant help it. so.... anyone out there in a similar boat or got some advice...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Tegretol is often used in MS, I used it when I was on betaferon but had to switch to gabapentin because of liver reactions.Talk to your neuro again, before you talk to the insurance company.

If you don't inform your insurance you could invalidate the policy. My neuro does a letter for me to say I'm fit to drive and the insurance company are happy with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paul1303

thanks for the reply byhookorbycorrk,
    i actually gave her a call yesterday (consultant) - she has done them before so im going to call fbd today and get the ball rolling.
    thx

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Hi,
    I am also epileptic and have been for 18 years. I used to only have grand mal seizures but now I also have semi partial where I go in to a trance and do strange things for a minute or so. Even more the reason why its way too dangerous to drive. I am also on tegretol retard, epilim chrono and lamictal.
    tegretol retards have a strong side effect of tiredness so this might effect you.
    If you get the disability allowance with the social welfare (if you cannot work any longer) then you get a free travel pass. That is what I have to use to get around.

For your own safety and others, I advise you to follow your doctors orders about the driving as it is a very serious thing. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My dad is epileptic and takes Tegretol Retard, along with some other medications but he still drives and is insured to drive, so don't think that because you're epileptic you won't be allowed to drive. I definitely recommend contacting whoever insures you though, it'd be for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paul1303

thanks novella, ive been in touch with them and have gotten a letter from my GP and consultant and sent back to them. have not heard anything in 2 weeks though - but i am putting this down to the weather. thx again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Thats not what I was saying at all...semi partial and petit mal's are very alike but if you get them regularly, it is WAY too dangerous to drive. Infact, you are not allowed have a driving license unless you have not had a seizure in a year.

Very important to know this.

Advertisement