Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on RAM and Graphics Card

Options
  • 02-11-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey All,

Just looking for some answers and advice before I upgrade my PC.

I ran a scan of my hardware to see what RAM I have currently installed (bought it pre-built) and I was happy with the results but the one part I wasn't sure of is that it said to install new RAM in pairs. My current setup is 2GB (512MB x 2, 1GB x 1) and I wanted to up grade to 2GB x 3 (Supports max 8GB).
    My question is do I need to put in 4 x 2GB if it wants me to install in pairs? Or does it mean they have to match like PC2-5300 (My current 512MB are both PC2-5300, didn't say what 1GB is).

I am upgrading my graphics card as well. Does it matter in which order I install the RAM and GC? or can I install them all at the same time.

I am fairly computer literate but this is the first time I will be upgrading and I would like to do it right as best I can.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

What motherboard do you have?
    installing 6gb is a waste, and few people require more than 4gb's.
    you're much better off getting 4gb's of fast ram, (if your motherboard supports it)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Skcornnelg

Unfortunately I am at work at the minute so I don't have my MB info to hand.

From the scan results I remember it says it supports up to PC2-8500. There is 4 slots, max 2GB per slot. I was just thinking of 6GB looking toward the future but if 2GB will be wasted or unused I don't mind leaving it at 4.

I have 32 bit Windows 7 but have the 64 bit disc for when I upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

Yes it means they should be but in pairs, and the amount and Frequencies
    depends on your CPU bus speed and have very little to do the your GPU.

I think you've got DDR2 SDRAM but I might be wrong and you will need to take a look at your CPU's/Motherboards memory QVL to find the right RAM for you. And depending on your CPU's BUS putting in more RAM may even slow down your PC!

On the bright side its gonna be cheap to upgrade that RAM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

What graphics card do you have in the machine? also what is the processor in it?

If you intend on doing some gaming what monitor size do you have?

We may also need how strong your power supply is (in watts)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Skcornnelg

Appreciate the replies, thanks!

I can better answer your questions about my system once I get home from work. Ill update then :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement