Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog food review, your opinion please

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

sral1 wrote: »
    So you had a dog that ate nothing for 2 weeks, how much weight did it losse:confused:

quite alot tbh........she is only a small type jack russell....
    tried every trick i could think of but no way was she touching kibble!
    very frustrating so i changed completely the diet n she is fine now health wise.
    still she fools around a bit wIth her food but gets there eventually. the anorexic one i call her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

I once came on a recipe that I kept

1. Green tripe (fresh washed not bleached) - plenty main ingredient
    2. Marrow again plenty
    3. Lamb breast (?) and /or beef cheek / head cuts
    4. Salmon belly cuts and heads
    5. Green leaves - (cabbage, broccolli, lettuce - all washed)
    6. Liver (fresh not pork)

all mixed (minced if wished) and to be mixed with wholemeal biscuit kibble

also read once about a chap giving his dogs eyeballs of all things as treats :eek:

Just got a terrier pup - any thoughts on this diet - now or the future? A bitch pup that will be well walked and spayed @ 6 months
    sligopark wrote: »
    I once came on a recipe that I kept

1. Green tripe (fresh washed not bleached) - plenty main ingredient
    2. Marrow again plenty
    3. Lamb breast (?) and /or beef cheek / head cuts
    4. Salmon belly cuts and heads
    5. Green leaves - (cabbage, broccolli, lettuce - all washed)
    6. Liver (fresh not pork)

all mixed (minced if wished) and to be mixed with wholemeal biscuit kibble

also read once about a chap giving his dogs eyeballs of all things as treats :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

never feed kibble and raw on the same day as both take different times to pass through the dog's system.

Whatever diet you choose do it right..cheap doggie nuts will only make you n your dog suffer..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just got a terrier pup - any thoughts on this diet - now or the future? A bitch pup that will be well walked and spayed @ 6 months

Congrats! If I am right in saying so, I think you have been looking for one for a while. Any idea what breed/s she is? If you are thinking about feeding a raw diet do plenty of research on it. I feed my terrier a dry diet, but give her a lamb shin bone every once in a while on a Sunday at lunch time, I don't feed her on Saturday evening or the Monday morning when she gets this. There is a brand name that do foods for raw diets which is frozen in the form of bags of tripe and stuff and meat patties, the name escapes me at the minute but you'd need to find a pet shop near you that stocks it.

For a dry diet I would recommend burns mini-bites until 6 months, you can keep her on this after 6 months or go for one of the Burns adult foods, the pieces in the adult food are bigger so better for their teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Congrats! If I am right in saying so, I think you have been looking for one for a while. Any idea what breed/s she is? If you are thinking about feeding a raw diet do plenty of research on it. I feed my terrier a dry diet, but give her a lamb shin bone every once in a while on a Sunday at lunch time, I don't feed her on Saturday evening or the Monday morning when she gets this. There is a brand name that do foods for raw diets which is frozen in the form of bags of tripe and stuff and meat patties, the name escapes me at the minute but you'd need to find a pet shop near you that stocks it.

For a dry diet I would recommend burns mini-bites until 6 months, you can keep her on this after 6 months or go for one of the Burns adult foods, the pieces in the adult food are bigger so better for their teeth.

Would it be these- http://naturesmenu.co.uk/products/Frozen_Nuggets/Frozen_Nuggets/

The protein content in them seems very low, it's different for each mix but it's between 7%-12% 7% or 8% in most of them. Id imagine if you were feeding a barf diet you made up yourself it would be much higher. :confused:

Zapperzy wrote: »

I don't think it is, I'm pretty sure the the tripe is just 100% tripe, the moistue content is 72% in the natures menu also, if you take that out the protein will be much higher as is done with dry foods. The dog will drink much less water on a raw diet and evens out that way.

It was in Jolyees, I'll have a look again next time I'm in.

Congrats! If I am right in saying so, I think you have been looking for one for a while. Any idea what breed/s she is?

cheers - it seems she is a mongrel breed of terrier with parson, jack and even an english breed plummer in her background - looks like a terrier brown and white with a wider head than I have seen on most but still appears tiny but leggy
    If you are thinking about feeding a raw diet do plenty of research on it.

this is my start point - right now got some baby food to 5 months from royal canine dry food that probably will be mixed with gravy and greens as I go along - noit seen burns food were I looked so far but this rc baby food is small bite sized for sure and appear much softer than a 'biscuit'

cheers - it seems she is a mongrel breed of terrier with parson, jack and even an english breed plummer in her background - looks like a terrier brown and white with a wider head than I have seen on most but still appears tiny but leggy

this is my start point - right now got some baby food to 5 months from royal canine dry food that probably will be mixed with gravy and greens as I go along - noit seen burns food were I looked so far but this rc baby food is small bite sized for sure and appear much softer than a 'biscuit'

Pics!! :D

You might find anything from mild to extreme hyperactivity on the RC ;). You will be the best judge of this yourself though so I'd just keep an eye out for it. There is no need to mix a complete food with anything or it will really just defeat the purpose of it, a little bit of water to start with will be fine. If you plan on changing to raw, you can't do that gradually, fast for 24 hrs then start the raw the following day and the dry food is gone completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Steph2010

Just reading the posts about the raw petfood, I get the Natures Menu nuggets on line from www.foodforpets.ie These are the agents in Ireland for Natures Menu and prize Choice. I buy the nuggets and also feed the minced chicken and lamb. It's good stuff reasonably priced, I'm very happy with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement