Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you self-plagiarise?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I did an essay last year for an elective which I got an A in, and I'm doing a similar elective this year. Can I just change the essay around a bit and submit it again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

I don't know about UCD but I do know that in DCU it's still considered plagarism. You aren't allowed to sumbit anything that you have previously submitted for credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

You can. But you may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Pedantry win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Q: Can I re-submit?

Answer: You can, but not without repercussions.

Q: Can I do it without repercussions?

Answer: No.

Q: So the answer is just No.

Answer: Yes, it's No.

All pedantry is superfluous.... apart from this reply (two wrongs make a right)

There's rules about resubmitting of your own work (not allowed answer the same question, in the same manner twice). There's no reason to cite yourself though! (unless you have actually published something :p)

Borrow liberally from yourself as much as you like but a full resubmit would be highly inadvisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Anything you have previously submitted is now the intellectual property of UCD, so you are not allowed use it again. You would be much wiser to re-write something similar if you are keen on using similar ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I agree with parker on this one. You can, by all means, use your previous essay as a basis, but don't forget your essay this year will be expected to be of a higher standard than last year, so you will need to enhance last year's essay, develop it, and ensure that it answers the set question.

I've seen numerous students submit an essay they had previously submitted only to receive a poor grade because it didn't answer the question asked.

I also know of 2 students who received an NG for submitting an essay they had previously submitted for a similar course.

So, yes, you can self-plagiarise, and you can be penalised for it.

Advertisement