Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

black and white newbie question.

• 02-11-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    this is probably the bonest of newbie questions but here goes: how do you get black and white photos from a digital camera? Given that there's no B & W film, how is it done? Is it done in the computer after the shot is taken or does the camera's computer do it?
    Can you set, for example, a compact Fujipix to do it?
    regards
    Stovepipe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Yes!

Basically, most cameras have a feature that will allow you to shoot in black and white, or you can do it in post once the image is on your computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

some people say it better to shot in colour and do the black and white conversion after on the computer

but it can be easier to compose and take a black and white shot using the black and white mode on the camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Ya B&W is included in probably every image editor, I recommend Paint.NET: http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as regards how to get *your* camera to do it, it varies from camera to camera. check under image settings or colour settings or similar, or as a fallback, there's always RTFM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I wouldn't bother "shooting" black & white in the camera. I'd convert later in Photoshop (PS in my case.. others might use other tools.)

I tend to use a channel mixer layer in photoshop to "mix" down to black & white, and I always use the highest bit-depth my source material will support for starters. (My cameras shoot 14-bit per color-per pixel, so in Photoshop that is 16-bit per channel per pixel, going to 24 or 32 per channel wouldn't be useful.) More bits = more shades of grey... less haloing and such.

• Advertisement
Advertisement