Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap grape juice -> turbo wine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Looks like people have been using it herehttp://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2233

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Choose a nice wine yeast and give it a go.

As it's red grape juice with no skins I would add some Grape Tannin to give the finished wine some body.
    You could even go mad and add some Oak Chips if you like that oak barrel aged flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,896 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

on the other hand, Lidl are also selling Montepulciano for €3 a bottle, so possibly not worth the effort.

€3 for 750ml V €0.50 per litre, + €1.50 for the yeast and €1.65 for the grape tannin.

If you want 10 litres of wine, that's €5 + €1.50 + €1.65 = €8.15

Compared to a little over 13 bottles of Montepulciano. €3 X 13 = €39.

Or you could do both. That way you get to drink the Montepulciano while the home made wine matures in bulk, then bottle it into the empty Montepulciano bottles.

Besides, making your own wine isn't just about saving money. It's about experimentation.

Would you point out the price of value bread to someone who is thinking of baking their own?

all fair points, & of course its about the experimentation, but would turbo-wine of this type actually be drinkable (ie enjoyable to drink).

Just idle curiosity really - I have 2 gallons of cider on the go, wondering what to try next...

• Advertisement

I think the grape tannin and oak chips would help and I would only add sugar to "turbo" it up if the OG of the juice is below about 1.090.

If nothing else, it's worth a shot. If it succeeds, you have 10 litres of delicious wine and boasting rights. If it fails, you have lost a tenner and some time, bus still learned something, which you get to pass on to others here and on beoir.org. :D

you've sold me - I'll buy a few cartons and make a demijohn's worth out of curiosity. If there's one thing that'll get us all through this recession, its cheap homemade hooch :pac:

loyatemu wrote: »
    If there's one thing that'll get us all through this recession, its cheap homemade hooch :pac:

You are right there. I wouldn't be surprised if a decent whack went on alcohol in the next budget. For our own good, you understand. Not because it's a cash cow for revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

hey guys just started home brewing :D
    have a magnum apple kit on the go and hoping to try a apple juice cider and a wine next,
    have u a recipe for your wine

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

i've always found this one delish
    2ltrs aldi pineapple juice
    1ltr aldi white/red grape juice
    600grms sugar/to o.g. 1090
    yeast
    pectolyse

add all to d.j. and fill to shoulder with water(watch out for a big ferment as it can spill over in the first couple off days)
    after ferment is finished rack and add more water if needed and use finings (i use bentonite)
    bottle and drink
    this wine is drinkable straight away but it's beat left a couple of weeks after bottling
    good luck with brew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

cheers granda sounds good, will try

when u say rack and add water, is that transferring to another vessel tojust add the water and then botte
    or is it for further fermenting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

you rack after fermentation is finished so the wine can clear dont forget to stabilise and add a campdem tab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mrtickel

Hi

I made wine from the lidl grape juice all the women loved it mad 6 bottles

TO GET GOOD WINE MAKE SURE YOU SANITIZE ALL BOTTLES AND EQUIPMENT.

I used
    Empty 5l bottle of water x2 as fermentors and an air lock + bung i had extra for my beer fermentor
    3l of grape juice
    1.5l water
    600g sugar
    red wine yeast

I bord the lid of 1 of the bottles so the bung and air lock would fit.
    Put grape juice + water + sugar into bottle mix and take hydrometer reading.
    I left mine for a month in the first fermentor because my fermention tempature was a bit low and took a little longer to hit my FG (final gravity) reading which was 1004 and then transfered to second 5l bottle and left for another month and then bottled and left for a week or 2 before drinking.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭africates

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

africates wrote: »

I am brewing a TW with that Juice exactly. it took a day to get fermentation to visibly start (unlike Turbo Cider which takes about 15 minutes - crazy stuff).

I haven't added any Tannin. Just 3L of grape juice, red wine yeast and about 600g sugar to bring the OG up. Its pretty crazy on OG as is ~1.070.

What could I do with it to develop more body or flavour?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭africates

you may add oak chips - i haven't tried that yet but i'll be doing new batch tomorrow. btw I did 2 batches in the past using this juice and they were really nice... i normally add pectolase at the beginning as well and normay youngs yeast - not the turbo one
    cheerzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

granda wrote: »
    i've always found this one delish
    2ltrs aldi pineapple juice
    1ltr aldi white/red grape juice
    600grms sugar/to o.g. 1090
    yeast
    pectolyse

add all to d.j. and fill to shoulder with water(watch out for a big ferment as it can spill over in the first couple off days)
    after ferment is finished rack and add more water if needed and use finings (i use bentonite)
    bottle and drink
    this wine is drinkable straight away but it's beat left a couple of weeks after bottling
    good luck with brew

Awesome! I went into town today and got all the ingredients. Have a yeast starter made and everything. Was just about to start and then saw this:
    granda wrote: »
    you rack after fermentation is finished so the wine can clear dont forget to stabilise and add a campdem tab
    I'm not that familiar with wine making and don't think I have any of the stuff requried to do either of these steps. :o I can find the campdem tabs here but what do you normally use to stabilise?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Make my own from fruit juice all the time

1 litre fruit juice
    just under 2lb sugar (according to taste)
    Pectolase if necessary for cloudy juices like orange or pineapple)
    water
    cup of cold stewed tea for tannin
    1 tsp acid blend
    yeast & nutrient
    water to 1 gallon

quick and easy - apple is a dead cert, ditto white or red grape.... go for it

Advertisement