Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema complaint

Options
  • 02-11-2010 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

Is your man from the cinema still knocking around on here?

I don't see many films in the cinema, but the ones I do go to see in Carlow are normally ruined by one thing. Volume. Turn it UP!

Went to see Paranormal Activity 2 last week. Halfway up the cinema. Stuggled to hear any of the noises in the middle of the night, and even some of the talking. My hearing isnt exactly amazing, from years of DJing, but my girlfriend was with me, and she also said she couldnt really hear it. Cinema was pretty busy and you could hear everyone eating and scuffling far more clearly than the film.

The last one I saw in Dublin was The Town at Cineworld on parnell Street, and that was too loud. But too loud is far better than too quiet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Did you ask any of the staff to turn up ?

And no, he doesn't seem to post here.
    Looks like he was just using us to get free publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'm a regular there and I can't say I've ever noticed low volume or found any film difficult to hear even with a packed audience, if anything it can be the opposite on occasions. Wasn't at Paranormal Activity 2 but it probably was a one-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Did you ask any of the staff to turn up ?

And no, he doesn't seem to post here.
    Looks like he was just using us to get free publicity.

I feel so dirty :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Anyone know why "The Social Network" isnt being shown in Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 fastbowler

yeah it's the one thing I have noticed too... the volume is down too low. sort it out omniplex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

From what iv heard off my girlfriend who used to work there, they were getting a lot of complaints about Noise from residents living in Crosbie Pl & Burrin Rd which are both directly behind the new cinema,
    So after 23:00 the volume has to be turned down a bit, Until they put in proper sound proof insulation i guess :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

SIX PACK wrote: »
    From what iv heard off my girlfriend who used to work there, they were getting a lot of complaints about Noise from residents living in Crosbie Pl & Burrin Rd which are both directly behind the new cinema,
    So after 23:00 the volume has to be turned down a bit, Until they put in proper sound proof insulation i guess :rolleyes:

Well, if I'm spending close to a tenner to see a movie, I want to see and hear it properly. I went to a 9 o clock show, not an eleven o clock one.

Hopefully itll be sorted out over the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Cinema complaint part II.

One of the films that is hotly tipped for Oscar glory and is getting great reviews from critics opened nationwide today.

Well not in Carlow. Despite looking at Posters for 'The Black Swan' in the Omniplex, they are not showing it. My wife and a couple of my daughters have now got to go to Dunndrum or Liffey Valley to watch it. Hugely annoying. What on earth is the point of an eight screen cinema if they don't show new releases.

I presume it is not like that all the time. Or, is that a presumption too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

It is actually a very unusual occurrence in my experience that they have not got it showing. They seem to have had all the other major releases since it opened.

The only other time I have heard some like that was a few weeks back where they only had the 3d version of a film in and not the 2d but the week later the 2d was also being shown. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I wanted to see Machete but i wasn't too surprised that a niche 18's film wasn't being shown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Alas the mainstream will continue it's inexorable squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

leincar wrote: »
    Cinema complaint part II.

One of the films that is hotly tipped for Oscar glory and is getting great reviews from critics opened nationwide today.

Well not in Carlow. Despite looking at Posters for 'The Black Swan' in the Omniplex, they are not showing it. My wife and a couple of my daughters have now got to go to Dunndrum or Liffey Valley to watch it. Hugely annoying. What on earth is the point of an eight screen cinema if they don't show new releases.

I presume it is not like that all the time. Or, is that a presumption too much?

Why don't they just go to newbridge or portlaoise- seems a bit extreme to drive all the way to Dublin- or was it just an exaggeration on your behalf

No exaggeration. Why would they want to travel from beyond Ballon to Portlaoise(at any time in fact) when it is motorway/dualcarriageway to Dublin. Also, I didn't realise a cinema had opened in Newbridge, and that can be a pain in the backside as well having to come off the M9 at Kilcullen.

Finally, not only can my wife not read maps, she is only living here five and a bit years and driving on the 'wrong' side of the road is not her strongest point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

There's a cinema in Naas too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 fastbowler

the Storm cinema in Naas is a joke. I've had to complain 3 times at movies there due to itinerants shouting and talking all the way through a showing. the guards even got involved at one stage cos the security staff were too piss poor to sort the situation out.

muletide wrote: »
    Why don't they just go to newbridge or portlaoise- seems a bit extreme to drive all the way to Dublin- or was it just an exaggeration on your behalf

"Black Swan" is not showing in UCI Newbridge, Storm are only showing it in Limerick & Waterford (so no joy in Naas or Portlaoise) and Omniplex are only showing in about half of their sites (3 out of 4 Dublin sites, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Belfast, Lisburn and Wexford).

It seems to me that it's only being shown in the larger population centres which suggests the industry forecast a limited demand or the showing rights are uneconomic.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    "Black Swan" is not showing in UCI Newbridge, Storm are only showing it in Limerick & Waterford (so no joy in Naas or Portlaoise) and Omniplex are only showing in about half of their sites (3 out of 4 Dublin sites, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Belfast, Lisburn and Wexford).

It seems to me that it's only being shown in the larger population centres which suggests the industry forecast a limited demand or the showing rights are uneconomic.

That being the case, I have done Omniplex an injustice and my ire and annoyance should be taken out on the film distributor.

Black Swan on in Carlow from Friday 11th Feb.
    Showings at 15:40, 18:10, 20:40, 23:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

Another complaint here. Why is it so hard to actually contact the cinema itself.
    We went the other night and got charged twice for the same movie, as in the machine in the lobby didn't print out tickets but we still were charged for it, we also bought tickets in box office. Manager told us we def wouldn't be charged but alas we were.#
    Rang 11811, got booking number which is premium rate and not allowed to call from my mobile, e-mailed them Sunday night still waiting on a response. So I'm going to have to drive in and complain. Bloody ridiculous!!! Do they not have a normal phone number!!!!

Another complaint here. Why is it so hard to actually contact the cinema itself.
    We went the other night and got charged twice for the same movie, as in the machine in the lobby didn't print out tickets but we still were charged for it, we also bought tickets in box office. Manager told us we def wouldn't be charged but alas we were.#
    Rang 11811, got booking number which is premium rate and not allowed to call from my mobile, e-mailed them Sunday night still waiting on a response. So I'm going to have to drive in and complain. Bloody ridiculous!!! Do they not have a normal phone number!!!!

Go to the Omniplex website http://www.omniplex.ie/

Under the telephone booking number (1550-444 000) you will see some small blue text, click on "More info" and it gives you the number of their customer care helpline 01 2480007. OK, it's still a central number but at least it's not a premium rate one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

(059) 9131140 is the DDI, but you need an extension to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

Excellent, thanks to you both. Saves me a drive into town now, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bubblebanana

The cinema in Carlow has gone crap, wtf they not showing Scream 4 this wknd?? They didn't get social network either, in a town with two colleges maybe they should rethink their audiences....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

The cinema in Carlow has gone crap, wtf they not showing Scream 4 this wknd?? They didn't get social network either, in a town with two colleges maybe they should rethink their audiences....

Are you sure they're not showing Scream 4? Quite often schedules for a Friday aren't updated until the Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bubblebanana

Nope schedule is done on a monday, i used to work there

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TowerIRL

My biggest complaint is not being able to ring them! The premium number is fully automated which is useless for queries! I went through every option possible one evening to try get to talk to someone but it just kept going round in circles...

Also they're not showing TT3D :( I was looking forward to that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

my biggest complaint is the sound proofing. if you are going to see a quieter film u can hear the thumping music from the action film in the next screening room, wtf did they not think of these things. idiots. n they still charge way to much for tickets and food.

hadepsx wrote: »
    my biggest complaint is the sound proofing. if you are going to see a quieter film u can hear the thumping music from the action film in the next screening room, wtf did they not think of these things. idiots. n they still charge way to much for tickets and food.

You don't go to many other cinemas do you? Pricing seems fairly much on par with competitors from what I can see, if anything ticket prices are slightly cheaper than Storm and UCI, and they have the cheapest credit card booking fee too (50c v 87c for the other two).
    I'd prefer a "low ticket/high food" pricing ratio anyway so that at least I pay less if I don't want the grub.

I agree on the noise pollution, it can be a little distracting but it doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the rustling and munching noises from those around me.

Have absolutely zero link with any companies mentioned other than a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

I have been to the Cinema in Carlow twice this week and I think the Cinema is cleaner than it used to be . So well done to whoever is responsible .:):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Pop corn tasted nicer in the old cinema. Probably because the new cinema is clean... I know I'm disgusting it was nicer dirty :confused:

Advertisement