Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling old railway line in cork at night

• 02-11-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I love cycling the old railway line from blackrock to rochestown and it is a handy shortcut for me too. Has anyone had hassle on this route with teenagers bushing? On Sunday evening I was cycling along minding my own business when one of them threw a full can at me just missing my head - God knows what would have happened if it connected and I fell to the ground.
    Do we have to avoid this route after dark? Is it policed at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Its unfortunate thats the case, scum taking over the nicest parts of town once the sun goes down. I hope you rang the cops, it really is the only action. Your pretty isolated there so picking a fight with kids on booze isnt a great option. Even if you didnt ring them then reporting it now will do some good.
    I cycled the water front from the gaa grounds to the natural foods bakery a while back and that frightned the carp outa me as its unlit, is the rail line lit at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

It's been a while since I was down there at nighttime, used to run there a bit, and I can't remember if it was lit or dark. Fairly dark from memory, and pitch black in places - where is goes under the roads. Around the headland by Blackrock castle is nicely lit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

It's not lit, I would avoid it in the dark tbh, too dodgy. Never mind the fact that you could cycle straight into some unsuspecting walker.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

I hate cycling along that route for all sorts of reasons, day or night. Let's say that I much prefer to fight cars than pedestrians of all sort (dog walkers, kids, old persons, scumbags, etc.). One big spot you should beware of is when passing under the Skehard Road bridge. This is always full of glass debris. I've seen it to a point I had to dismount and walk that part instead, and I felt sorry for my shoes.
    But to be fair, I hardly see how it can be a shortcut, given the amount of people usually there forcing you to a very low average speed (I tried being nice and using a bell - people just don't get the meaning of it). And to answer thebouldwhacker's question, no, most of the line is unlit (it was supposed to be lit all the way from the Marina to Passage when they refurbished the Rochestown to Passage section, but only the section from the Douglas River Bridge to Passage has been lit).

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sammalone

Ye right it's not lit but I have a good light so the dark ain't a problem and I would see any unsuspecting walker. I rang the cops alright but they didn't seem to care even though it was basically assault which could have seriously injured me and I told them where to find the culprits.
    I don't think it's right that people should have to avoid a public walkway because of a few bullies - this country is gone to absolute pot, there is no law in my eyes - at this stage I think I'd get away with it if I organised a few buddies and we just sorted out the scumbags ourselves and that ain't right either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

I'm sorry to hear about that, I'm a regular on the route and I didn't think it had gotten that bad. All being said I'm not on it in the dark very often. Usually after college to go for a quick spin I either go on that one or the one to Passage. Rochestown to passage is fine in the dark, i was out as late as 10 o clock a few nights ago.It's all lit up and more or less no scumbags, You notive the lack of signs they have been there.

They were supposed to line that stretch as well to keep the walkers and Us cyclists seperate and a year on this has not happened. Many pedestrians along the path take up the entrie 3m wide track with no consideration for the signs that have been errected that highlight its a shared footpath.I've past people and their free roaming dogs countless times only to hear them jump upon passing! :D

bottom line:

Pedestrians hate cyclists
    & Cyclists hate Pedestrians!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

C4Kid wrote: »

Pedestrians hate cyclists
    & Cyclists hate Pedestrians!

Ah thats a bit harsh, I have no problem moving around peds, its a shared path so anything over 20kph is a bit cheeky imo. I always spin that section and enjoy the slow pace, I guess if your looking for speed stay on the road...;)

Ah thats a bit harsh,

I'm contradicting Myself here but I agree with what your saying, usually the view may keep You going steadily at 20 but sometimes when Your tired and it's busy in the evening the stopping and starting is annoying.

but
    if your looking for speed stay on the road...
    True but I like to keep off it when possible, especially the road next to the line where its two lanes and the limit is 80.

Cheeky might be an understatement, but on a brige designed for a double track railway one person shouldn't make it dangerous or difficult to overtake them on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sammalone

I know it's straying from my original post but ye right - it wouldn't cost an awful lot to paint a line the length of the track and then paint a few bicycles along one side of the line and people on other side. Obviously it won't solve the problem completely but it would surely help make people aware of other users of the track

Cheeky might be an understatement, but on a brige designed for a double track railway one person shouldn't make it dangerous or difficult to overtake them on a bike.

Completely out of topic, but the bridge wasn't double track :) The double track ended at the Blackrock station, and continued single track to Passage and Crosshaven. But sure, there shoudl still be enough space for cyclists and pedestrians, and surely a white lane could help a bit (but I wouldn't have much hope either on that).

• Advertisement

Completely out of topic, but the bridge wasn't double track smile.gif The double track ended at the Blackrock station, and continued single track to Passage and Crosshaven.

This still confuses me! I heard somewhere that it was standard guage and then narrow gauge double track in places and then single track. I know it was single from Passage to Crosshaven but from Cork to Passage it wasn't clear to me!.
    but I wouldn't have much hope either on that

It would do no harm, but You're right it might not do much good either!

This still confuses me! I heard somewhere that it was standard guage and then narrow gauge double track in places and then single track. I know it was single from Passage to Crosshaven but from Cork to Passage it wasn't clear to me!.

Well you kind of have the correct elements, but mixed up :) The line was initially broad gauge (standard gauge doesn't exist in Ireland), single track to Passage. Then an extension had been built to Crosshaven, in narrow gauge for lower costs, which means the existing line had to be converted to narrow gauge too. In that process, double track had been installed from Cork to Blackrock (for "commuter" traffic).

Yes, apart from bikes, trains are my other passion :)

Thanks for clearing it up, I know it's not difficult to understand but I appreciate You explaining it like that;)

Trains were an obsession of mine a few years ago , I even had €400 worth of hornby in the attic! Cycling that walk kind of brought it back recently especially the disused lines around Cork are quite interesting. You'd be surprised how You can recognise old rail lines and bridges etc.

I sold off all my trains for a computer :( my dad did the deal with somebody at work and they went for probably less then half of what they were worth:mad:. Just like the closing of so many rail lines, I regret getting rid of mine as well!

Advertisement